How do you feel about your shell?

RaphialLee

:eek:h:
People tell me that I have my own shell and don't let anyone in; need to break out of that shell by introducing myself to people. I will tell them that I rebuild my shell from the left over pieces and now I'm kind of back from the beginning lol. in other word I try introducing myself to people, and the result ended up with people not accepting me. so do you think it was better for me to stay in my shell?

I have more respect for people when they are not around me, or away. I know people are not perfect but this whole being cruel to people you don't care nothing about just to get some laughs or make your friends laugh is no where near perfect, not even in the middle. :sarcastic:Why is the only thing most people talk about is to defame other, and to be on the wrong side of that crew conversations and laugh isn't worth it. :kickingmyself::sad:

Some one with social anxiety have a hard time fitting in. people tend to talk about the loners because they know no one is going to defend them.

rosewood

i totally agree. often i encounter people who have no idea the rich universe of a human being they have decided to ridicule because they can't imagine there is anything going inside the quiet one. there is always more than what meets the eye. thanks for posting this topic, RaphialLee. :)

7817170f43c2d11e09979d31f59b113f.jpg

hidwell

:eek:h:
People tell me that I have my own shell and don't let anyone in; need to break out of that shell by introducing myself to people. I will tell them that I rebuild my shell from the left over pieces and now I'm kind of back from the beginning lol. in other word I try introducing myself to people, and the result ended up with people not accepting me. so do you think it was better for me to stay in my shell?

I have more respect for people when they are not around me, or away. I know people are not perfect but this whole being cruel to people you don't care nothing about just to get some laughs or make your friends laugh is no where near perfect, not even in the middle. :sarcastic:Why is the only thing most people talk about is to defame other, and to be on the wrong side of that crew conversations and laugh isn't worth it. :kickingmyself::sad:

Some one with social anxiety have a hard time fitting in. people tend to talk about the loners because they know no one is going to defend them.

The people who get a kick by putting someone down in a social situation are quite pathetic really, they have little to no compassion and are incredibly ignorant of people who find social interaction hard.

Shells

I really wish it wasn’t there. It really constricts any possible good part of myself that I might be able to give off otherwise. I give off the image of a quiet and pathetic loser with no personality whatsoever. I really hope I’m more than just that, but I’ve become so convinced it’s simply who I am now. I don’t know how to break out of my “shell”. It would take me so long to get comfortable with someone that by the time I start showing them my true self they’d be looong gone. Not that my true self is necessarily a good thing anyways....

ImNotMyIllness

You're right not to want to waste your time with people who only put others down. I'm use to my shell. Those that can get passed it are usually quality people.

I dont have a shell per se but rather what I think of as a comfort zone if you will. IMHO people that force others into uncomfortable situations on purpose just for amusement suck. :thumbdown:

mikebird

Banned
So a lack of communication?

I listen to people. There might be a medical issue of selective deafness

Personally, I wait for any prominent meaningful trigger to get a contribution from me to add to a conversation. Whatever I hear rarely means ANYTHING to me. I hear 'bleeuurrgghhh ...... ...... ...' That is hard truth

This goes for phone calls - the caller ID means 100% information. Looking at someone's face provides loads of detail too! I love Skype with video! And I can amplify the voice and make it clear. By fone, the voice is a sound. There are no words from the Oxford English Dictionary - vowels, consonants. Any stranger. Any close friends. In a bar. A "WHOOOOOOOP!!!" in a crowd watching football with some numbers and elapsed time at the top left of the screen. If anyone says "hello <name>. How are you?" I nod, and say "OK" I spend a lot of time saying anything such as "yes! OK?" I might benefit from sign language, but I don't know it. I should try wiggling my fingers this way as a try to say "I can't hear you" It seems evident that people can hear me. The evidence remains from old that if I look at the taps on a bar and ask each person by voice "do you want one of these, or this one...?" They point at them.

I've had 3 appointments with Audiology at my hospital, and about to have another this month! Hearing has been verified countlessly over years.

Same problem watching any TV or movie. Honestly. Each person is different. I hear THIS! ::p: I hear a noise.

Ummm... in a supermarket / warehouse announcement overamplified? That is what I hear. Audiology mention noise a lot. Yes - helicopter, road noise, fan, music, wind, rain, and echo & reverb. From a childhood of limited contact with the outside world. Foreign language might be difficult. I relied on enough TV to set me ready to hear from anyone. Intonation - pronouncing with gestures and demonstrate points. I think I hear a lot of monotone and warble.

Looking at eyes, lips and movements:
I've loved Skype