How do you deal with lost years?

I've completely missed out on my adolescence and my young adult years, I'm turning 24 next month and it seems I may be depressed and lonely for some more time to come. Besides the pain of depression the fact that I never got to experience things regular ppl my age do really saddens me. I can never get those years back, there is no real consolation for them. I worry I'll experience the same for my 20's. I'm almost half way through and I haven't done anything more than be an agoraphobic loser. I spend day and night coming to terms that I lost too much of my life to depression and I can very well lose more, it isn't easy swallowing that fact.

I also lose my adolescence and I've read topic like this a lot of times, but I've never accepted my past... and I guess I'll never do it and this will be a problem when I'll get old...

mndigi

I am 26. I almost completely stayed indoors from 18 to 24, and started regretting it greatly from 20 without doing any thing about it. I started fearing getting old and started thinking like an older person. It caused me much depression.

How do I deal with those lost years? I try. But the regret sticks to my head like tar. It's a stubborn regret. But at least, I made up for some of the time and moments lost since 24. I suggest you do the same. Your regrets will drop a lot.

Last edited:
Hard question. I think a lot about my past. Sometimes I think why I did that instead of that... But then I'm trying to say to myself that I didn't had knowledge which I have now. When I start comparing myself to others who achieved more than me I'm trying to compare myself to those who achieved less than me in those years... Sometimes it helps, that I'm not the worst...

Satine

I've completely missed out on my adolescence and my young adult years, I'm turning 24 next month and it seems I may be depressed and lonely for some more time to come. Besides the pain of depression the fact that I never got to experience things regular ppl my age do really saddens me. I can never get those years back, there is no real consolation for them. I worry I'll experience the same for my 20's. I'm almost half way through and I haven't done anything more than be an agoraphobic loser. I spend day and night coming to terms that I lost too much of my life to depression and I can very well lose more, it isn't easy swallowing that fact.

Your adolescent years may have gone, but there is no law saying you're not allowed to live out a belated adolescence in your later years. I am - I'm approaching 30 with no kids, no mortgage and no marriage, I love fashion, jewellery and makeup with a teenage girl's fervour, I am young(ish), free and nobody can tie me down with anything!

Why mourn the time that's gone when there is still much time to go? The day you decide to live is the day you stop mourning the time you've lost. Trust me, there are good times to be had. Just have them a bit later than others, that's all.

mimi1988

Man, I feel the EXACT same way-- everyday! There was a lot of stuff I wanted to do while in high school. I wanted to join the dance team, the track team, be a majorette, go to prom, go to house parties, go to school dances... I didn't do ANY of that! Most girls my age can tell stories about how they snuck out of the house to go see their boyfriends, or how they snuck their boyfriends in their bedroom, or how they'd sneak out of the house to go to parties etc. I have NONE of those stories to tell! Everyday I sit and wish I could get all those years back, but I can't, and it makes me sick! ... The only thing I can suggest to you is to try to do and experience as much as you can, bcus u can't turn back the hands of time. One thing I notice is that I always feel old, but the next year or so I'll be like, "I was still a baby!" lol. For instance, when I was 15 & 16 I started feeling sad bcus I was about to be a senior the next school year, and I just felt like my childhood was ending right before my eyes, and I didn't even see it coming. I started thinking, "man! I'll be an adult next year and I have nothing to look back on." But when I turned 18 and 19 I realized that 16 wasn't that old and that I had let 2 & 3 yrs. pass me by and hadn't done a thing to fix my problem. Just live in the now and stop worrying so much about tommorrow. Funny how I can offer you advice but can't apply this SAME advice to my own life lol. If only I could learn to accept the fact that I'll NEVER be able to change the hands of time...