How do you become more talkative?

LittleMissScareAll

I'm so sick of not being able to hold conversations, never knowing what to say...I CAN hold conversations but only with certain people...people who are really really talkative or people who are just easy to talk to. But I dont find many people who are easy to talk to like that, that I can keep conversations going.....how do I do it? I feel like if I stay quiet forever nobody's ever going to like me. I was talking to somebody on messenger earlier and they said they felt like I didn't want to talk to them because I wasn't really saying much. Of course I try to explain that I'm just always quiet and never know what to say but nobody ever understands unless they're the same way.
Has anybody been like me and came out of it and been able to talk to people easier and if so, HOW?

Thelema

I know exactly how you feel. Its easy to talk to someone when you don't have to say much. But online I can talk to anyone about anything for as long as they want. I think its because we over think it. Its like online my brain comes alive but when I talk to someone in real life its dead and useless. Online I can talk about how I smashed my face in my door or a movie I saw on tv or anything but when I'm talking to someone I just think OMG f#$@#$ think of something already!!! I say practicly nothing and sound so awkward like I'm not interested and give off the feeling of why the hell are you talking to me. Maybe try and think of a good show you saw on tv or something funny that happened to you before you talk to someone so you have something to talk about and don't have to think of it while your talking. Maybe have the attitude of just having fun and keeping it light if that makes any sense. I'm going to try this the next time I talk on the phone. I'm just going to blurt out whatever is in my head and run with it not worrying if its dumb or not atleast I'm saying something!!! All those awkward silences are the worst! I'm determined to be like I am online and won't let this shit be like this forever. Even if at first I'm even more awkward I won't give up.

of_darkness

thats the hardest thing for me, i just cant start or join a conversation, unless i have a really obvious reason to. Its so hard to think of what is a good thing to say, trying to slot in, but i just say a really short pointless phrase, it kinda gets ignored if its stupid enough O___o but whenever i manage to hold a conversation i end up putting myself down somehow, i dont know WHY, it just always ends up with something bad...

But most conversations are like some stupid game, where you have to talk as soon as possible before someone TELLS you that you aren't talking :evil:

It's gonna be pretty hard to get out of this, i dont see any way out either...maybe that wasnt a helpful post, but this is a forum for us..hopefully i would have noticed if there was a magic cure posted here, but doesnt seem so..

I think the best thing to do for a short time is just say anything and everything, like Thelema said. Thats my aim for when i'm back after the holidays

thugaveli

I find it hard to keep conversations going too its hard work

People generally talk about their lifes and doings, what theyve been upto ect, and also their intrests

If we are ashamed of ourselves then its hard to talk about things in general like that

I tend to start off quite good in a conversation like, hi you alright? what you been upto ect and in return they'll ask me and then thats about as far as i get i just feel stupid, disintrested, and cannot think of what to say
I really do lack composure, anxiety suppose to decrease the longer your put in a situation according to my shrink, i think it works the other way round for me

It happens a lot of the time on the internet so you can imagine what its like in reality
Half the time im not in the mood for chit chat i feel so depressed and detatched from everyone else, they dont wanna hear about how depressed you are when theyre on top of the world
Also i hate conversation because i tend to repeat myself just to talk but its easier if other people make the conversation you can just respond

charlieHungerford

In my opinion its developing confidence in yourself. Developing confidence in yourself and in your ability to succeed and perform in social situations such as this.

I believe we struggle in situations like this simply because we lack confidence in ourselves. i.e. around people you are comfortable and calm around and have confidence that you will perform and cope you have confidence that you will perform well. Yet those people we are not comfortable and confident around we struggle badly. We go into these situations knowing we will struggle to cope and perform.

Its this subconscious belief of what we are is what causes the problems in my opinion. i.e. we know accurately how we will do, and when we know we are going to fail - that is basically what will happen. We need to change that value we have placed on our beliefs to rise as high as possible so that we go in believing we are going to succeed.

I also believe we place a subconscious value on ourselves in comparison to others. When we value someone very highly and of course we value ourselves lowly, that huge gulf in inferiority and inadequacy causes huge problems on confidence. i.e. you don't believe you are good enough, you focus on your perceived flaws and being inadequate, you feel self conscious, you feel negatively on yourself and that anxiety is what causes the problems speaking and thinking and being your normal self.

i.e. that is why I believe people are so anxious around people they fancy, no matter if they have SA. Because the person you fancy you have placed a very high value on them, and unless you think extremely highly of yourself then you will have feelings of inadequacy, maybe not good enough for that person, lacking confidence around that person, etc.

It also explains why you feel more confident around people you see as equals, but why we feel anxious around authority - as you place a high value on them compared to yourself if you are lacking confidence and do not have a high status. It also explains why people get all anxious around celebreties and people they idolise.

I believe the answer is to increase the value you place on having the ability to succeed, perform and cope in tasks/situations and to have a higher opinion in ourselves - believing we are good enough, concentrating on how cool we are and how much we have to offer - and then the gap in the values we place on ourselves in comparison to those we are anxious around lowers - giving us confidence. Same as with the situations - increasing your value on you ability to succeed, cope and perform lowers the gap between your own ability and the value you believe you need to succeed, cope and perform in a situation.

Therefore developing confidence in yourself, increasing self esteem, self worth, self belief, belief in your abilities to do the tasks is what the solution is.

In my opinion anyway. I know others will disagree.

maggie

LittleMissScareAll said:
I'm so sick of not being able to hold conversations, never knowing what to say...I CAN hold conversations but only with certain people...people who are really really talkative or people who are just easy to talk to. But I dont find many people who are easy to talk to like that, that I can keep conversations going.....how do I do it? I feel like if I stay quiet forever nobody's ever going to like me. I was talking to somebody on messenger earlier and they said they felt like I didn't want to talk to them because I wasn't really saying much. Of course I try to explain that I'm just always quiet and never know what to say but nobody ever understands unless they're the same way.
Has anybody been like me and came out of it and been able to talk to people easier and if so, HOW?
hey LittleMissScareAll, i know how you feel. And i hate the awkward silence that sometimes happens when i'm working with someone i don't know very well..but something i do at work that has helped me...i tend to ask a person questions to keep them talking..questions about the job, about their family, just about anything :!: ..and most of them don't mind rambling on and on about their personal stuff..and i just listen :wink:

arjuna

charlieHungerford said:
In my opinion its developing confidence in yourself. Developing confidence in yourself and in your ability to succeed and perform in social situations such as this.

I believe we struggle in situations like this simply because we lack confidence in ourselves. i.e. around people you are comfortable and calm around and have confidence that you will perform and cope you have confidence that you will perform well. Yet those people we are not comfortable and confident around we struggle badly. We go into these situations knowing we will struggle to cope and perform.

Its this subconscious belief of what we are is what causes the problems in my opinion. i.e. we know accurately how we will do, and when we know we are going to fail - that is basically what will happen. We need to change that value we have placed on our beliefs to rise as high as possible so that we go in believing we are going to succeed.

I also believe we place a subconscious value on ourselves in comparison to others. When we value someone very highly and of course we value ourselves lowly, that huge gulf in inferiority and inadequacy causes huge problems on confidence. i.e. you don't believe you are good enough, you focus on your perceived flaws and being inadequate, you feel self conscious, you feel negatively on yourself and that anxiety is what causes the problems speaking and thinking and being your normal self.

i.e. that is why I believe people are so anxious around people they fancy, no matter if they have SA. Because the person you fancy you have placed a very high value on them, and unless you think extremely highly of yourself then you will have feelings of inadequacy, maybe not good enough for that person, lacking confidence around that person, etc.

It also explains why you feel more confident around people you see as equals, but why we feel anxious around authority - as you place a high value on them compared to yourself if you are lacking confidence and do not have a high status. It also explains why people get all anxious around celebreties and people they idolise.

I believe the answer is to increase the value you place on having the ability to succeed, perform and cope in tasks/situations and to have a higher opinion in ourselves - believing we are good enough, concentrating on how cool we are and how much we have to offer - and then the gap in the values we place on ourselves in comparison to those we are anxious around lowers - giving us confidence. Same as with the situations - increasing your value on you ability to succeed, cope and perform lowers the gap between your own ability and the value you believe you need to succeed, cope and perform in a situation.

Therefore developing confidence in yourself, increasing self esteem, self worth, self belief, belief in your abilities to do the tasks is what the solution is.

In my opinion anyway. I know others will disagree.

A great post is worth repeating.

smof

I have this problem too and it bugs me so much. I have been working at the same job for 4 years, and I STILL can't hold conversations with most the people there.

I am ok as long as the other person initiates the conversation. If they are asking me questions I can respond, even if it makes me feel a little panicky. But I just can't seem to do it without their prompting. It's like my mind goes totally blank for some reason. I have to struggle to think of something to say, and then if I do think of something it never seems good enough.

Like for example the other day at work I noticed this guy was wearing pretty cool shoes. I wanted to just say "I like your shoes!" like I would do with somebody I knew, just to break up the silence a bit, but I couldn't do it. I just felt like he'd think I was an idiot for saying it. The worst thing is I know how illogical these feelings are but that doesn't change anything.

I also find that whenever there is a lull in conversation I feel REALLY awkward, and I always feel like it's my fault there's silence, and it's my responsibility to get the talk going again. Which makes me feel really stressed and anxious and instantly makes it impossible to speak. I get embarassed even though I haven't done anything embarassing.

frizboy

Yea I dunno. I just blank out for some reason, I guess a lot like some of the above posters. It's like my mind is just empty, like I'm a vegetable, but I'm completely aware.

On a semi-related note... has anyone tried just randomly messaging someone from this forum? Or finding them on AIM? See that's the kind of thing that I wouldn't normally do, but seeing as how we're all in a similar spot, it might be fun. My AIM screenname is theHADEsyndrome, btw, if anyone wants a chat.

E

feel the exact same way... wish i knew the way out! i'm supposed to be enjoying this age (i'm 17) but instead i just want to be older already , can't stand the social stuff at school.

haze

on the internet its a bit easier because you can re think what your going to say before you do but in real life your cant delete a word or something you didnt want to include or re word a sentance after youve said it. also in real life it feels like your on a timer to say something but on the internet you have about a minute to think about what your going to say or if your really stuck you could just say your away doing something while u think.

LittleMissScareAll

Thanks for the replies...it definitely is easier to talk online but even online sometimes I can't think of anything to say...at least there's always emoticons ... but in person it's always different. Or on the phone... there's always a big akward silence there. Ok, LOTS of akward silences.
And I had always heard to ask questions and stuff...somebody told me that but I dont know, for me it's not so easy...I can never think of questions to ask either. Sometimes(more like all the time) I think I'd be better off dead

Jack-B

Littlemiss,

Most conversations are a bit like being in a competition and i dont know whether im going to far but the end result i guess for most people id say is that we are mr or mrs fantastic. The conclusion being that we are the centre of the universe and what we feel and think is most important.

Many people talk over the other person and sometimes its like being in a fight to say anything without anyone listening and then theres times when theres just not much being said at all.

Its ok to not have anything to say, just say so. I feel i have nothing to say which makes me feel anxious, how do you feel about that? - Thats always a good conversation, then the other person opens right up and says fuck me, yeah i feel a bit like that also, then it goes quiet and you both say, shit man that was weird that weird silence thing oooooo, free flow and enjoy the madness, let go and open right up. Everyone feels like that most the time also.

Jack

Scottish_Player

One thing to remeber is that the conversation isant all up to you to make, there are atleast 2 people in a conversation so let them do their part, for some reason us people with SA feel that it is our need to continuasly make the conversation flow, and also rember that the other person may feel a little awkward like yourself or maybe happy to be silent if you are, you dont have to continualy talk with people you are with or work with, sometimes its nice to jst have a bit of quiet time:)

Thelema

Alright guys I have a success story for ya. I just talked to a girl over myspace for 6 hours. Me and this girl usually send one another a message going "so what have you been up to today?" and we'll send a couple messages back and forth and I'll end up making a smart ass comment and she'll stop messaging me. All I did was find out what she was interested in (a book) I just asked her questions about it. I kept asking her questions and eventually the discussion turned to her thoughts on love. I started making somewhat smart ass comments but besides the usual stop talking to me she messaged me back saying she didn't agree! This is a big improvement. She just messaged me she had to go because she had to get up early tomorrow and said she'd talk to me later! I said not if I talk to you first :wink: I have this other girl on yahoo messenger I have NOTHING in common with (I never have anything in common with girls..) I'll try the same approach on her and see where it goes. I've also been reading books out loud to help me with confidence in my voice (when I have the house to myself of course!) and I've been pretending that message conversations are verbal and making myself approach it as such.

slowmotiondaydream

"for some reason us people with SA feel that it is our need to continuasly make the conversation flow"

you know, that is soo true. I try my hardest to make any sort of conversation flowing smoothly when i am trying to make some new friends, but sadly enough alot of them don't go to well.
Which makes me think i can never hold up a proper conversation with anyone new, which usually leads me to be less talkative when a gathering of people arises, im just to tired and lazy to make any effort anymore.

red_reagel

Try little things like talking to people you don't know or even talking to people you do know but more than often. And getting involved in social conversations. If you go to work, engage in what your team is discussing or get to know co-workers. If you go to school, then raise your hand and engage in class discussions.

But I know it's not easy just changing in one day. You have to practice. Not really what you're going to say, but you're confidence and getting the nerve to approach people.

frizboy

In a lot of conversations, I definitely feel like I'm not coming up with the right things to say or that I'm not coming up with them fast enough. I don't think that's abnormal per se; I'd wager that people really do favor quick-witted conversationalists. So I do not approach these kinds of problems with the advice that we should learn to accept these flaws, but I'd rather advise that there may be ways to improve on our conversation skills. I imagine that kind of improvement comes along with treating SA in general, rather than just focusing on social skills training per se (although I think a lot of SA treatments have that as part of the regimen).

The "accept your flaw" school of thought was largely popularized by the humanist psychologists like Carl Rogers, and I'd point you to that literature if you feel that would be a more fruitful way of coping. Like I said though, I prefer the "actually treating it (or if you prefer, since "treatment" implies abnormality, substitute the phrase "improving social skills")" course of action, but I'm very unknowledgeable about it. I'm opening the field to an expert here for further information, if that's possible.