how close are you to your family

My family and I aren't close at all. We all live in different corners of the US, for one, and none of us are very communicative.

My mother, half-sister, and stepfather (along with a bunch of extended family) live in Montana. My father and stepmother live in Texas. My sister and a bunch of extended family live in Mississippi. My stepbrothers and stepsister (and again, a bunch of extended family) live in California. And then I live in Florida.

I keep in touch with my mom/half-sister and dad/stepmother via Myspace. Every once in a while my sister will email me as well. As for my stepbrothers and stepsister, and all of my extended family, I haven't spoken to them in years and years, just because none of us bother to call or email or anything. Oh, I lie, one of my stepbrothers was living with my dad and stepmom at the same time I was there to get treatment, so we spoke about a year ago.

Even though we do keep in touch (parents and sister, that is), I cannot imagine going to them with any of my problems. It's not like I feel they'll brush them aside or anything, I was just raised to believe that you should be able to deal with your issues on your own, and not expect sympathy from your family.

bony666

For many reasons, I feel I have dedicated my best years to my family (am today 26) but I have spent all my teenage years at home (both because of my SP and because of the conservative society where we live , females are not allowed to go out ;(( and I was therefore forced to spend all my time at home, and give them all my time and energy. Today: All what I got in return is Humiliation, mistrust, disrespect and continuous critics. Am not saying my family is totally evil with me (I have two brothers, and both of my parents) , but I get juged most of the time, especially because I have SP, my family just thinks I hate being people/ antisocial and they constantly blame me about that !!!! Result: I AVOID THEM !!! I have moved out of home, and am now planning to totally leave my country & start a new life somewhere else !!!!

mrb

well good for you lol GO FOR IT ... get a new life .... good luck .. you seem to be full of energy about this, i wish you all the best and hope things work out :) and if you really want this to work , it will .. good luck ..

Last edited:

bony666

well good for you lol GO FOR IT ... get a new life .... good luck .. you seem to be full of energy about this, i wish you all the best and hope things work out :) and if you really want this to work , it will .. good luck ..

Yes thanks, may I ask how is your relationship with your family ?
...the thing is I realized that although am lucky to have family to support me, am not alone... but I don't get the kind of affection that I need; my life is empty (never could get/keep a boyfriend because of sp...) , and I really need to move on with my life as am getting older...
Good luck to you too whatever you're doing....

mrb

Yes thanks, may I ask how is your relationship with your family ?
...the thing is I realized that although am lucky to have family to support me, am not alone... but I don't get the kind of affection that I need; my life is empty (never could get/keep a boyfriend because of sp...) , and I really need to move on with my life as am getting older...
Good luck to you too whatever you're doing....

hmm well its a long story lol , but my family my brothers and sisters iv fallen out with .. my father was ill with Alzheimer's , they didnt care or want to know , so i looked after him for 3 years , it got so bad i nearly had a breakdown , my dad was hard work .. had my own business but gave it up to look after him .. then when he died my family were like vultures for his money .. money changes people i know that ..but your own family :eek: , the only person i get on with now is my brother jamie :) he thinks the same as me , our family are ... hmm ::eek:: hey sod em who needs em

U

userremoved

I'm really close to my parents and my youngest sister. My other two sisters I don't really know that well and I don't see them that often either.

WestS

Not that close with them because I hardly ever talk to them. We sorta keep in touch and I might let them know what i'm do, but that's about it.

I actually live with my dad at the moment and we hardly ever talk.

Well for one thing I never met my real father. Wanted nothing to do with a kid.
So I grew up with my mom, grandparents and uncle. My Mom was more like a big sister to me for a long time. Then eventually she took a half mother/friend type role when we moved in with her boyfriend.
She let me get away with a lot and even smoked pot with me. She was "the cool mom" as my friends would call her.
But anyway she divorced the man she was with and now shes married to someone else with whom we live. I dont feel close with my grandparents anymore, my uncle, and now my mom and her husband. My grandparents and my uncle have all sorts of problems, Ive tried to be there..but they dont want to help themselves so I had to break away. My mom and her husband pretty much do their own thing, and Im left out of the loop most of the time.
Im 29yrs old so I guess I have to be my own family.