Hospitalized because of SP/anxiety?

Amon

Has anyone ever been hospitalized for a longer time (weeks, not days) because of social phobia/anxiety?

I'm asking bacause I'm in a point where I don't get any kind of therapy and that's definitely something I need. I do have a chance to talk with a psychiatric nurse 1-2 times a month, but that's not helping at all. I also have a medication and even though it helps, I need therapy too. I've been trying to find a private therapist, but it's not so easy when you live in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, the last time I talked with the nurse she suggested this certain unit in a psychiatric hospital that specialices in psychoeducation & pshychosocial skills. I guess it's not only for people who have social phobia, but she said a lot of people who do have SP have been treated there.

Since I know I won't get any better if I just stay at home like I've been doing I agreed to go there. It's an open unit so I figured it can't be that bad. Of course, I'm already really nervous about going, but it's just something I have to try.

She said people usually stay there from 2 weeks to a month. I probably end up staying for 3 months though, lol.

If anyone's been treated for SP in a psychiatric hospital, could you tell me about your experience? I understand there are a lot of different kind of units and the treatment might differ too, but it would be interesting to hear anyway.

Last edited:

mikestar

Banned
I spent 3 months in a medium secure physicatric unit, atleast yours is an open unit so the door is always open. I dont know much about the treatment side I was just assessed and discharged.

I want to get 1:1 physcology and thats what im trying to sort out at the moment. Alot of the phobias/fears are just things where I will just have to "bite the bullett" and get on with them..

post more later

Jodie-Tyler

I havnt been hospitalised but i want to. i need to. ive alredi got SP, and paranoid personality disorder and i see and hear things...so yh...its pretty bad.
what i the names of the places u 2 above went to?

Lea

Banned
No but I collapsed today in the social security office as I was standing and filling out the papers. They called ambulance and took me to the hospital, but I´m back now. This happened to me some time ago in a bank as I was standing behind the counter talking to the woman. And I nearly fainted in another one too. What the hell do I have with public offices :confused:.

Noca

Banned
Ive been to the psych ward 4 times but not because of SP, but because of severe depression.

Amon

I havnt been hospitalised but i want to. i need to. ive alredi got SP, and paranoid personality disorder and i see and hear things...so yh...its pretty bad.
what i the names of the places u 2 above went to?

I haven't been there yet, but I'm from Finland and I'm pretty sure you're looking for a place that's a bit closer to you. I hope you can find a place that suits for you, maybe by asking from your therapist (if you have one) or just googling/asking around and then contacting them?

Ive been to the psych ward 4 times but not because of SP, but because of severe depression.

How long you stayed in there and did you find it helped with the depression? I think my depression is something that's mostly caused by the SP and my personality disorders, but hopefully I can get some kind of help for that too.

FOR REAL

Banned
i went to casualty emegency in the hospital (where your supposed to have a broken leg, or someone has hit you over the head with a baseball bat!!)
i said "i need to see a phycaratrist"
the nurse kind of looked at me strangely
anyway i got to see one.
i said "i need to be put in the loony bin"
and he said "you will have to go through your GP"
so ive never went back since, especially cause i found out they dont have sky sports

music10

Has anyone ever been hospitalized for a longer time (weeks, not days) because of social phobia/anxiety? QUOTE]

Never been hospitalized for social anxiety myself but I have been hospitalized before though a few times. Each time was about a month long but the third was only 3 weeks tops. I don't like trying to remember about it though.

jennismortal

I think...A self-assessment has been developed and found to be a reliable instrument for detecting states of depression and anxiety in the setting of an hospital medical outpatient clinic. The anxiety and depressive are also valid measures of severity of the emotional disorder. It is suggested that the introduction of the scales into general hospital practice would facilitate the large task of detection and management of emotional disorder in patients under investigation and treatment in medical and surgical departments.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I went to a mental health recovery program which is six hours a day, four days a week.
But you're talking about an inpatient mental hospital, right? I had a friend who stayed there for three months, and she didn't like it, but I think it helped her.
I was refered to the hospital, but there is no such force that could ever bring me to stay there.

Amon

I went to a mental health recovery program which is six hours a day, four days a week.
But you're talking about an inpatient mental hospital, right? I had a friend who stayed there for three months, and she didn't like it, but I think it helped her.
I was refered to the hospital, but there is no such force that could ever bring me to stay there.

Yeah, that's what I meant. To be honest, I don't think I'll like it too much either. I'm just hoping it's not completely awful place with sadistic nurses or something, lol.

Did the mental health recovery program help you?

Amon

I've been in the hospital for a week now, and I seriously think everyone with SP should try this kind of "treatment".

Even though I've only been here for a week, I feel million times better already. I was absolutely terrified about coming, but that was the hardest part - after that everything's been fine.

It's nothing like I imagined it would be, everyone's really nice and the only things that are mandatory are some cleaning, hoovering etc.

We've been having BBQ's, picking berries and playing minigolf, so it's pretty relaxing here. Sometimes even a bit too relaxing, but I guess that's just how it is.

If you ever get chance to do something like this, I can definitely recommend!

dream

Where are you located? I have always been curious to know what types of treament are offered, I have always assumed it's like hell and there's all these sadistic nurses pumping your veins full of venom.And that you will be there forever locked up away from society.

Does the program target SP? if so, I want to know, is there a name for the program? And do you feel it's helpful?

Amon lol sounds like you're having fun there. It's definitely not a bad idea! but do you get to decide when to get out of there?

Last edited:

Amon

Where are you located? I have always been curious to know what types of treament are offered, I have always assumed it's like hell and there's all these sadistic nurses pumping your veins full of venom.And that you will be there forever locked up away from society.

I'm in Finland. That's actually exactly what I thought too, that the place would be full of horrible nurses who force me to do stuff I don't want to do, but thank god it's nothing like that.

Of course there probably are places where they lock you up, but the ward I'm staying is not that kind of place. You can go out shopping or whatever you want to do for 3 hours every day. Outside you can go whenever you want to, as long as you stay in the hospital area. If you want to go to the movies or swimming, they even give you free tickets.

I'm really glad I came, even though it does get boring at times, because there's not many things you have to do.

Amon

Amon lol sounds like you're having fun there. It's definitely not a bad idea! but do you get to decide when to get out of there?

Yeah, it's only up to me when I decide to leave, so they can't keep me here forever no matter how much they want, lol.

dream

I'm in Finland. That's actually exactly what I thought too, that the place would be full of horrible nurses who force me to do stuff I don't want to do, but thank god it's nothing like that.

Of course there probably are places where they lock you up, but the ward I'm staying is not that kind of place. You can go out shopping or whatever you want to do for 3 hours every day. Outside you can go whenever you want to, as long as you stay in the hospital area. If you want to go to the movies or swimming, they even give you free tickets.

I'm really glad I came, even though it does get boring at times, because there's not many things you have to do.

Interesting, has is you're SA? Is there an improvement? Is it private or run through goverment funding?

Amon

Interesting, has is you're SA? Is there an improvement? Is it private or run through goverment funding?

There definitelty is an improvement, I can already go outside, to the shops, and be around people, when I was pretty much staying at home 24/7 before I came here. I don't need benzos every day anymore either - in fact, I've only needed them once in the last 2 weeks.

We have socialized healthcare, so it's through government funding. I guess there will be some small fee to pay, but I don't need to pay it myself, so it's ok.

Even though I probably make it sound like some kind of paradise, there is a negative side to it too, and that is the other patients. No, I don't think I'm better than them or anything like that, it's just the fact that they rather watch tv for 12 hours a day than do something, a lot of them won't say a word to you even if you ask something, and I think some of them shouldn't even be here (we had one who could barely walk or talk, and one who just talks all kind of crazy stuff).

That really makes me want to go home, but I guess I'll stay for now.