Hospital

nicole1

I have been struggling with school and my disorder is not helping.
I'm considering going into a center that can help me get my life on track. I'm 25, still in school and struggling financially. I can not work b/c I get burned out easily. I'm behind on almost everything. I sleep about 12 or more hours a day b/c no matter what I do, I'm not fully awake. And my doctor said I'm fine. :(

What do you think about this decision? I just want to be done with school and working as a journalist but I feel that won't happen for me.

dottie

work burns everyone out. no one wants to work. everyone wants to sleep all day. you're depressed just like everyone else.

go to school. get a job. keep working towards your goal of being a journalist. drink coffee.

laure15

First, slow down. Focus on thing at a time. If you think checking yourself into a center will help you get your life on track, then by all means do so. Next, try to catch up with your schoolwork. If you fail your classes, you'll have to take them again which means no early graduation. Thirdly, you said you're struggling financially so maybe consider getting a job, cutting back on unnecessary expenses, etc.

nicole1

Actually no, it's a medical condition that has gotten worse.

I've accomplished a lot, I do work and I also go to school, though it's not enough to support myself.

I sleep not b/c I want to but because of the burn out associated with my hypothyroidism.

Oh and I can even sleep after drinking caffein. NONE of this is anything I can help b/c if I could, I'd be kicking ass like I was a couple of years before.

And like I've said, I've accomplished tons, esp in my field. And I still push super duper hard. But b/c of an illness, genius, I've not been able to function properly.

And yes, I'm the hero of my damn story. I just have low moments, this being one of them.

Actually no, it's a medical condition that has gotten worse.

I've accomplished a lot, I do work and I also go to school, though it's not enough to support myself.

I sleep not b/c I want to but because of the burn out associated with my hypothyroidism.

Oh and I can even sleep after drinking caffein. NONE of this is anything I can help b/c if I could, I'd be kicking ass like I was a couple of years before.

And like I've said, I've accomplished tons, esp in my field. And I still push super duper hard. But b/c of an illness, genius, I've not been able to function properly.

And yes, I'm the hero of my damn story. I just have low moments, this being one of them.

Ouch. I wasn't trying to insult you.

dottie

nowhere in your original post did you say you had a medical condition. in fact, you said your doctor said you were fine. so in response to your question: yeah, go to the hospital and get a second opinion.

nicole1

Wasn't trying to...hurt feelings but say that I'm having a hard time. I didn't ask for the sarcasm or the "everyone has troubles" stuff. I hate people whining and complaining as much as the next person. In fact, I let this stuff...go on before I say anything at all.

But when I'm trying to do something and I'm struggling and shouldn't be, then yes, I do look at options I have to try to get back on track.

Dottie, please tell me what you do to make your perfect life go round. I'm seriously asking. Like do you drink coffee all morning? How does that factor into things like anxiety symptoms? Before the super quick burn out I get, it usually makes me REALLY jittery and my anxiety levels increase. It makes things a lot worse. Also, after burn out, I'm no better. So, I can't do caffeine. At all. I only drink it if I'm home or have nothing much to do. I drink tea more than coffee.

Also, are you depressed? I know I am. I'm on medications. After being medicated, what else is there?

@ Laurie, thanks. But my mom suggested hospitalization. I have a small, small job, which is necessary. I'm looking for a second but already know it will be difficult b/c of my illness.

I guess I just want to be better and want the doctors to get their heads out of their bums and quit thinking they know things that they don't...

U

user deleted

Stick with school. Look back on everything you've achieved and realise you can do it. It won't be easy, but then anything worth doing generally isn't easy.

My personal feelings on psychiatric in-patient treatment is that unless you're suffering a total break from reality, or are at serious risk of harming yourself/someone else, avoid it. For me, my problems will still be there when I come out. I'd look instead at maybe community support.

I've had problems with hypersomnolence before.. I avoided caffeine because I find it exacerbates my anxiety, instead, I just broke things up into small pieces.. if I had class, I'd sleep a couple of hours before, then I'd sleep after. Nap lots, don't do the 12+ hour sleep thing because honestly.. I think you wake up even less refreshed.

Good luck. Believe in yourself.

Last edited:

nicole1

Thanks Amp. I may take your advice about the broken up naps. I've tried int he past but now I need to...just make it work for me better.
I'm just so far behind... But you're right, I've come this far, slipped up, I guess it's just time to...just push harder even if it kills me a bit.