Horror Movie Discussion

Xervello

It's horror movie time! *dances around in a bloody banana costume shaking cursed marimbas* Through my extensive search of a couple pages in this sub-forum I hadn't seen any threads devoted to horror films so I thought, hey, the time is now.

Let's begin with this question, shall we: favorite horror film from last year? And why? *please no spoilers if possible*

My answer: Hereditary. Why? I love slow burn, psychological horror with little to no jump scares. Extremely well directed, acted and paced. I didn't even think it was a slow burn (most did so that's why I describe it that way) as I thought it was brimming with tension from the beginning to the end. That Toni Collette didn't even get an Oscar nomination for her performance cemented my opinion not to watch that stupid awards show. She is magnificent in it. Everyone is. I'd easily put it in my top ten horror flicks of all time. And this would be a fun movie to watch with someone who has never seen it before. There are so many wtf?!? reactions just waiting to be had. My only complaint? The light resolution. You will DEFINITELY need to turn up the brightness on whatever device you're watching it on. There are things in the shadows you might miss. I saw it in 1080p online from a file sharing site and it was fine, but when I watched it on Amazon Prime the resolution was so dark that I couldn't even make them out. And they're important scenes. (even when I turned up the brightness to the max it was difficult) So note that before watching.

LoyalXenite

I'm not well so I cant think of any horror movies of the last year at all, but I'm very keen to see the new Pet Sematary movie. I have a special soft spot for the original, even if its full of 80s cheese and so I'm quite interested to see how they handle the remake

LoyalXenite

Actually I thought of a couple that I watched a few months back. I liked Unfriended: Dark Web because the style was different. I dont think I'd rewatch it very often if at all, but I enjoyed the concept on a first run through.

Bird Box. I quite enjoyed it- though the ending I found a couple issues with. Again it was such an interesting concept that I quite enjoyed it, plus I have a special soft spot for Sandra Bullock.

Im sure there were others that I saw but thats all I can think of right now

Xervello

Actually I thought of a couple that I watched a few months back. I liked Unfriended: Dark Web because the style was different. I dont think I'd rewatch it very often if at all, but I enjoyed the concept on a first run through.

Bird Box. I quite enjoyed it- though the ending I found a couple issues with. Again it was such an interesting concept that I quite enjoyed it, plus I have a special soft spot for Sandra Bullock.

Im sure there were others that I saw but thats all I can think of right now

I was intrigued by Bird Box for the first third of the movie but then it got very conventional and boring after awhile. It dragged and dragged. The last third was awful and that ending, ugh. Sandra was good in it though. When given good material, she's very good. Haven't seen the Unfriended sequel yet. But if you're interested in that style you should definitely check out Searching. It's a mystery/thriller that takes place entirely online. Very clever and well paced throughout. I had issues with the ending but I'd still recommend it.