Hey.

Captain_Lethargy

So, here we are. I apparently joined back in February...and I'm not sure what I was going for with my username. I assume it was something self-deprecating-like comparing myself to some sort of lazy superhero...or something. No idea where I was going with that. I'm kind of stuck with it now, I guess.

I'm 25. My OCD is fairly mild right now, but occasionally a particularly nasty spike can sort of drive me up the wall (I've had a few of them for the past few weeks). I apologize if my terminology is sometimes off-I tend to shove my OCD in the background and very rarely focus on it unless I'm having trouble with it. When I am having problems, I tend to get stuck in negative sorts of thought loops where my mind gets cluttered with really negative stuff. This is much more common for me than, say, rituals or things like that.

I work a mostly rewarding, always low-paying job. I am notoriously terrible at initiating relationships, for reasons that become obvious once a person gets to know me. I'm interested in the weirder corners of history and the biographies of the people involved. I'm pretty keen on unusual facts and trivia. I read more than most people do, but not as much as I should; Philip K. Dick, H.P.Lovecraft, Michael Chabon, and Michael Moorcock are some of my favorite authors. I do some writing myself, which I very rarely publish (I'm a much better writer when I'm not trying to write about myself). I draw cartoons and paint occasionally. I listen to a bunch of music...I don't have a favorite band, but Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Queen, Creedence Clearwater Revival, the Cure, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash, and the Pixies are some artists I like...there are others. I think I'm pretty at making mix CDs. I probably own way too many movies. All of this probably makes me sound cooler than I actually am- in real life, I am kind of an awkward, pudgy guy. I am pretty good about flossing, though.

There are tons of things I would like to experience and places I would love to visit, but have a very difficult time putting the pieces together to actually work towards goals.

I have an off-again, on-again relationship with therapy/getting help; I'm pretty irregular when it comes to this sort of thing. My neuroses are often more or less dormant for weeks or even months at a time, giving me these sort of pleasant stretches of confidence where I just don't focus on my problems.

So, here we are, again. Thanks for reading! I look forward to hearing other people's stories and whatnot, and maybe getting some insight into my own peculiarities.

upndwn

Originally Posted by Captain_Lethargy View Post
comparing myself to some sort of lazy superhero...

You just made me realize :eek:......I have a superpower!!!!

I think there are few that are as lazy as me :D

Captain_Lethargy

Thanks for all the kind words!

H.P Lovecraft is my favorite author too :D

Lovecraft's fiction is sort of gloriously neurotic, which is partly why I find him and his work so fascinating. It's as if everything he wrote was set inside his horrifying and simultaneously fascinating subconscious...or something.

upndwn

Thanks for all the kind words!

Lovecraft's fiction is sort of gloriously neurotic, which is partly why I find him and his work so fascinating. It's as if everything he wrote was set inside his horrifying and simultaneously fascinating subconscious...or something.

Which is why I relate so well to his stories. When I read his work, it feels like I am part of that subconsciousness. I also love the horror and fantasy elements of his stories, but the underlying philosophy behind them eerily correlates with my own.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human
mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance
in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we
should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have
hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated
knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our
frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation
or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

H.P Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

Captain_Lethargy

Many of Lovecraft's creatures (the night-gaunts come to mind) were taken from his own nightmares. I don't think his fiction would have been as effective if he had been a more well adjusted guy. Here's a quote about his various phobias:

"He was also frightened of invertebrates, marine life in general, temperatures below freezing, fat people, people of other races, race-mixing, slums, percussion instruments, caves, cellars, old age, great expanses of time, monumental architecture, non-Euclidean geometry, deserts, oceans, rats, dogs, the New England countryside, New York City, fungi and molds, viscous substances, medical experiments, dreams, brittle textures, gelatinous textures, the color gray, plant life of diverse sorts, memory lapses, old books, heredity, mists, gases, whistling, whispering—the things that did not frighten him would probably make a shorter list.... The things that did not scare him generally are absent from his work."