Help with language!

F0AM

Hello everyone!

Probably some of you already know that i'm spanish, therefore there are some english words/expressions i do not yet know, so i would like you to tell me the meaning. I know there are some specific places for that matter but some words are poorly explained and i thought it would be more fun and interesting to see how you guys/girls would describe them so i can understand :)

The first word is: Aery

Thanks in advance!!

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Hello everyone!

Probably some of you already know that i'm spanish, therefore there are some english words/expressions i do not yet know, so i would like you to tell me the meaning. I know there are some specific places for that matter but some words are poorly explained and i thought it would be more fun and interesting to see how you guys/girls would describe them so i can understand :)

Thanks in advance!!

Which definition of this word are you wanting described? As there are various means and pronunciations of the word you've highlighted.

F0AM

Which definition of this word are you wanting described? As there are various means and pronunciations of the word you've highlighted.

Every definition you can provide will be welcome! :thumbup: you can use sentences as examples.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Every definition you can provide will be welcome! :thumbup: you can use sentences as examples.

Okay, I looked this up on dictionary.com... Here's the various definitions given on that website for the word you highlight. Sorry, if you want me to definite in my own words, I've just copied and pasted here...

1. aery or aëry
[air-ee, ey-uh-ree]

adjective, aerier, aeriest.
1. ethereal; aerial.

It is of Latin Greek origin
1580-90; < Latin āerius < Greek āérios, equivalent to āer- aer- + -ios adj. suffix

Related forms
aerily, adverb

2.aery
[air-ee, eer-ee]

noun, plural aeries.
1.aerie.

aerie or aery, eyrie, eyry
[air-ee, eer-ee]

noun
1. the nest of a bird of prey, as an eagle or a hawk.
2. a lofty nest of any large bird.
3. a house, fortress, or the like, located high on a hill or mountain.
4. Obsolete. the brood in a nest, especially of a bird of prey.

Origin
1575-85; < Anglo-French, Old French airie, equivalent to aire (< Latin ager field, presumably “nest” in Vulgar Latin; see acre) + ie -y3; compare Medieval Latin aerea, aeria aerie, brood < Old French aire

^ This is best I could do. Also, dictionary.com has a little sound clip for each word you look up which lets you hear how the word is pronounced. Anyway, hope you found this interesting and/or helpful.

JohnB

I think you need to move to word 2. I have never heard of the word and the above does not explain it much. If you think it is a more common word maybe it is spelled different in the US or just used in some areas.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
The word "Aery" is one that I don't use, nor anybody I know. I know its definition as well as you do ::p:

F0AM

Okay, I looked this up on dictionary.com... Here's the various definitions given on that website for the word you highlight. Sorry, if you want me to definite in my own words, I've just copied and pasted here...

1. aery or aëry
[air-ee, ey-uh-ree]

adjective, aerier, aeriest.
1. ethereal; aerial.

It is of Latin Greek origin
1580-90; < Latin āerius < Greek āérios, equivalent to āer- aer- + -ios adj. suffix

Related forms
aerily, adverb

2.aery
[air-ee, eer-ee]

noun, plural aeries.
1.aerie.

aerie or aery, eyrie, eyry
[air-ee, eer-ee]

noun
1. the nest of a bird of prey, as an eagle or a hawk.
2. a lofty nest of any large bird.
3. a house, fortress, or the like, located high on a hill or mountain.
4. Obsolete. the brood in a nest, especially of a bird of prey.

Origin
1575-85; < Anglo-French, Old French airie, equivalent to aire (< Latin ager field, presumably “nest” in Vulgar Latin; see acre) + ie -y3; compare Medieval Latin aerea, aeria aerie, brood < Old French aire

^ This is best I could do. Also, dictionary.com has a little sound clip for each word you look up which lets you hear how the word is pronounced. Anyway, hope you found this interesting and/or helpful.

Of course it's been useful, didn't know that website and i really like it (the pronunciation part is very important for me). And don't worry for not describing it with your own words since some of them can be a little bit difficult :)

I think you need to move to word 2. I have never heard of the word and the above does not explain it much. If you think it is a more common word maybe it is spelled different in the US or just used in some areas.

"the nest of a bird of prey, as an eagle or a hawk."" Only knew that description as "aerie", didn't know it could be written "aery". The worst thing is that i was looking for the first meaning lol

The word "Aery" is one that I don't use, nor anybody I know. I know its definition as well as you do ::p:

Haha well, at least we both know it now :p