help! what to do at a party??

alex29

i got invited to a party this friday. ive never been to one while in college. in high school is would sit on the couch and talk and not drink but i am expecting there to be alcohol at this one, no food to snack on

i dont dance, drink, im not going to play drinking games, and i just feel super nervous about talking with people.

i thought about not going, but i feel obligated to. i also thought about going but leaving after an hour or so, but i have a hard time saying good bye and making an exit, especially among a large group of people :(

help! what do i do :(

Rise Against

Im not sure if this is good advice or not, but if i were going and i was 21, i would probably have a few drinks to help me loosen up and just try to have fun.

RND_CHR

Don't expect too much from yourself. Especially if you're around people you don't know. Parties with strangers IS awkward for anyone. Especially if everyone already knows eachother. But I guess just try to be a part of whatever people are doing around you. To be honest, drinking games are great becuse they take the pressure off you to talk and you can just comment on whats going on. If you get nervous, just find your friend who invited you and talk to them, talk to the people they are talking to, get them to introduce you to other people. Honestly, I guess I feel like most parties are just kind of do whatever you want to just have fun doing it. Do you know how many people are going to be there?

Last edited:

Errordotocx

People always say that drinking doesn't work but only makes things worse. For me, after a few drinks I become rather relaxed and able to join in with everyone. You say you don't drink so I dunno, but if it was me I sure as hell would. Personal opinion IMO. As far as drinking games they are a whole lot of fun...a whole lot. Especially Beer Pong and Circle of Death. I myself wouldn't avoid them even if you've never played them and as for dancing...if theres at least one person there I know that will just dance and act stupid with me i'll go ahead. Why not?

SickJoke

i got invited to a party this friday. ive never been to one while in college. in high school is would sit on the couch and talk and not drink but i am expecting there to be alcohol at this one, no food to snack on

That will probably be the case, you're right.

i dont dance, drink, im not going to play drinking games, and i just feel super nervous about talking with people.

My drinking days are over and it's not an issue, but yeah drinking games are probably out of the question:D

i thought about not going, but i feel obligated to. i also thought about going but leaving after an hour or so, but i have a hard time saying good bye and making an exit, especially among a large group of people :(

help! what do i do :(

If you leave after an hour you'll miss all the fun! At that point people will be loosening up. I love talking to people after they've had a few drinks, they say what's really on their mind and it's a lot more interesting. Anyway I hope you'll go:D

i was in the exact same situations as you a few weeks ago
basically, who is this person that invited you? friend? if so are some of their friends your frinds? or do you at least know them?

if yes stick with them, have a few drinks if you know you can control it but tbh it probably won't change you much since you'll still be in the concious state..

its very very good that you feel obligated to go, this is you wanting to explore and not stay the same which is fantastic, just go along, try to have some fun, try to find people that you can instantly get along with and then hopefully you'll get into some dancing and by that stage you'll be your full self

btw, collage chicks are crazy so after the few drinks....ha ha who knows:D

alex29

i was invited by someone who leads a group im in. we know each other but i wouldnt call us friends. i wouldnt be hanging around him thats for sure..

not drinking is a life style choice ive made based on family history and childhood experiences so its definitely not something im going to change

ive more or less decided on not going.

people here shall now be saying, you shoyld go because it will help you improve ect ect, however even my friend who has been to many parties said that its kinda boring without friends...you shoul try get someone you know wellish and go, if not start makin some friens or at leas aqaintnces

alex29

well thats the otherthing, we arent allowed to bring friends since its a small place. i dunno. maybe some other time but definitely not this time

Walk

Just go, you have little to lose. If there's drinks, have some; it does help. Just don't overdo it.

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

I never went to a party while I was in high school or even for years after high school... and it's something I feel like I missed out on, even if it was going to be boring. Few things are worse than being alone and feeling rejected.

A boring party experience is at least something to have in your past for a future conversation topic with someone.