Help please

xlisax

Ok, I don't really know where to put this, but I really need some help.
Last night I went out to the pub with a few friends, some I haven't seen in ages due to uni. After having a few too many drinks we went back to one of my friend houses, where we carried on drinking. All off a sudden one of my friends went a bit weird so he went to sit outside, we put it down to the alcohol. When I went to talk to him he confessed to me he was an alcoholic, he can't go a day without drinking and it's messing him up. He also said he was bullimic(sp?) However what really freaked me and my friends out was when he turned round and said that there was a dead person sitting next to me. From then on he kept talking to these 'dead' people and telling them to go away and leave him alone. He couldn't hear us at all. He then carried on to say they tell me everything you think and dream. So now me and my friends are mega freaked out, we won't leave him we want to help, but don't know how. Has anyone been in this situation, know what's wrong or know anything we can do. I understand he can't get help until he wants to be helped and sorry if I sound really naive.
Thanks.

Cal

I can't say I've ever been in a similar situation with anyone closeto me, but I would suggest seeing how he acts while sober if you get a chance. I don't really want to suggest medical conditions or anything because having hallucinations and/or dillusions could account for anything. (Schizophrenia??) I believe Bulimia is an eating disorder though, so whether that has anything to do with it... I can't say for sure.

It sounds pretty serious, but perhaps he was stoned, or crying for attention, or just plain messing with you... I've seen it before.

xlisax

Thanks for the replies, I know for sure he was not stoned.
When he is sober he seems to be fine, so yes I will try and spend a bit of time with him when is is sober, or not pissed.
I did say to my other friends it's wither going to be really serious, or he just wants attention and is messing about.
I suppose all I can do is see how he acts this week or so, and encourage him to get help if he needs it.

Cal

That seems to be a good way to go about it. If he's a close friend, you should know his personality traits pretty well, so you'll be able to judge whether it's serious or not depending on how he acts toward you. Though if he's only some random person you've hung out with a few times, I wouldn't be getting involved because of the risk of him being violent and whatnot.

Remus

Staff member
sounds schitzophrenic, I think you should get him to see a GP for a refferal, if he gets worse and is a risk to himself or others, section him