Help!! panic attack in court!!

Ok so first let me just get off my chest what I did wrong in the hope that you'll all wont think i' m some monster, maybe you will anyway.

I sent an abusive text to an ex gf..that's it, and I'm not proud of it...but I had to go to court today for this, and well I tired to but had a major panic attack before I could be heard and ran out, and went home....now what will happen to me!?

I sent an email to the magistrate explaining my predicament and that i suffer from panic attacks in the hope he could adjourn it in my absence, but I'm scared now there could be a warrant issued for me which terrifies me. I'm in Australia btw.

That's not good at all dude. Not knowing the situation, I'm not commenting on the 'why you were there'. I'm sure you understand. Here in the U.S. if it was a criminal hearing they'd likely issue an arrest warrant for failure to appear before the judge. Being that you e mailed the judge and explained your situation they might understand. You might check with the local cops and see if there's an arrest warrant out for you and if there is go turn yourself in and explain it to them and take proof of the e mail you sent so they know you're trying to resolve this ordeal. Good luck dude.

P.s. its probably on camera that you were in fact there at court so they know that you were there but had to leave because of your panic attack.

Lilly789

lol firstly stop watching american TV shows.

Very strange to be in court for ONE abusive text. very strange indeed - there must be some type of history, or you physically threatened her.

How on earth did you email the magistrate? why didnt you contact your legal aid (who is appointed on the day usually, by the court, prior to your case being called).

what is the charge? criminal? is she just applying for a restraining order? something else?

It completely depends on what the court date was for.

You may not have even been required to be there - you havent given much info.

If you were REQUIRED to be present, sending an email saying you had a panic attack isn't going to help you - this is a court, not a high school. You would need proof from a doctor / psychiatrist / psychologist, otherwise they usually increase the sentence. It will also stay on your court record that you didnt show up, which wont look good for future issues, if you dont provide the above.

But again.. it really depends what the court appearance was for to begin with.

I am Australian BTW, and have studied Criminal justice at uni.

Last edited:
lol firstly stop watching american TV shows.

Very strange to be in court for ONE abusive text. very strange indeed - there must be some type of history, or you physically threatened her.

How on earth did you email the magistrate? why didnt you contact your legal aid (who is appointed on the day usually, by the court, prior to your case being called).

what is the charge? criminal? is she just applying for a restraining order? something else?

It completely depends on what the court date was for.

You may not have even been required to be there - you havent given much info.

If you were REQUIRED to be present, sending an email saying you had a panic attack isn't going to help you - this is a court, not a high school. You would need proof from a doctor / psychiatrist / psychologist, otherwise they usually increase the sentence. It will also stay on your court record that you didnt show up, which wont look good for future issues, if you dont provide the above.

But again.. it really depends what the court appearance was for to begin with.

I am Australian BTW, and have studied Criminal justice at uni.

no physical threats at all or previous history, just name calling. and it was 3 msgs; the offense here in Australia is using a carriage service to menace, harass or to cause offense...I was able to email the magistrate as they have a phone number, I called the number and explained my predicament and they told me to email the magistrate directly which I did, also saying its up to him if he issues a warrant or adjournes it for you...I'm not sure where the reference to US television comes in. Sure I watch a fair bit of U.S television, but I'm just sumising the events which took place so far.

Last edited:

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I doubt it will be a huge deal. They'll probably cut you some slack given your condition, just don't do it again. Talk to free counsel if it's available, and take someone with you next time so it won't be so terrifying.

Kiwong

That would be stressful Skins, to appear in court with anxiety.

To be excused from jury duty you need medical evidence, perhaps you need the same to be excused from appearing before a magistrate?

Hopefully the court will reply with what you need to do next, and I guess you need to get past this and to the next stage.

And I agree with Fountian that if you can take someone with you. It'd be even harder on your own.

thanks for your responses guys, I since asked for some legal advice and they just said go to a doc and get a medical certificate explaining your absence (which I have now done). any ideas what will happens next? according to the magistrate office my paperwork for my case is not finalised and may take a couple of days...I guess all I can do is wait now?

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Yeah, it's probably out of your hands now.

If you followed legal counsel, all you can do is sit back and wait. It probably won't be too bad, though; they'd have to be pretty heartless not to take your panic disorder into account.

It's just my opinion, but your "mad dash" the other day may actually end-up helping you, since it was a good example of how anxiety and panic sometimes effects your judgement.