Help Needed!! Please take part in this survey on Social Anxiety and Social Phobias

EitherOr

1. What social situations cause you anxiety?

Presentations, phone calls, face-to-face interaction, meeting new people, mostly things of this sort. Illness also causes general anxiety.

2. How distressing in this situation?

They can vary from just mild discomfort to causing full-blown panic attacks.

3. When you're in this situation, what are you thinking at the time?

I try to reassure myself that I'm fine and will be fine. My thoughts tend to lean towards over-analysis of my words and body language, as well as my appearance.

4. How is your body reacting when you are anxious?

Stomach aches, tense muscles, light-headedness (moving into panic attack territory.)

5. If you have no choice but to face the social situation, what are your coping mechanism?

I listen to music as long as possible before the event, ideally, on the way to this place. If I am really not doing well, I'll take half of a prescribed Alaprozam to take the edge off. (I'm directed to take a whole.)

6. How long have you suffered with social anxiety?

Social anxiety started around when I was 8 or 9 years old.

7. Was there an event that triggered your social anxiety?

The death of my great-aunt from cancer first caused anxiety. Social anxiety began a year later when I was bullied in school.

8. Are you male or female?

I'm male.

chibiXphantom

1. What social situations cause you anxiety? - being alone in crowded places im not used to. meeting people i feel pressure to impress. asking any "official" or person that seems "important" something. phone calls
2. How distressing in this situation? - very distressing, especially phone calls
3. When you're in this situation, what are you thinking at the time? - should i be doing this? is this what im supposed to say? what do they want me to do? is this what normal people do?
4. How is your body reacting when you are anxious? - i tend to draw into myself. fold my arms, clutch my purse, sometimes get shakey
5. If you have no choice but to face the social situation, what are your coping mechanism? - i kind of yell at myself internally, saying "get over yourself". "you gotta do this eventually. lets get it over with already"
6. How long have you suffered with social anxiety? - unsure. ive always been shy, but i suppose it turned for the worst in high school
7. Was there an event that triggered your social anxiety? probably going to high school, new environment, new building, new routine, and high expectations
8. Are you male or female? - female

Lydiee

-everyday living, like shopping, working, hanging out, talking on phones, just talking to someone makes me really nervous on a scale from 1-10, it's a 10.

-It's ruining my life. I am wasting my youth.

-I have so many thought running through my head at the same time, I just want to run and hide.

-I shake, turn red, stutter,my heart palpitates, My hands sweat, I get panic attacks, my eyes tear, my nose runs, I can't breathe, I want to just hide.

5. If you have no choice but to face the social situation, what are your coping mechanism?
-I don't have one. I usually always come off as awkward uncomfortable and I push people away. I talk too much when I'm nervous,I cannot control what comes out of my mouth and then the silence awkward silence, I feel everyone hates me.

-Since I can remember... it has gotten worse over the years. I am 24.

-I wish I knew for sure.

female

rosewood

Hi Guys, I would be really grateful if anybody could complete this survey that was set as a task by my therapist to help me with my own social anxiety issues. The answers will be used as part of my next therapy session only. Thanking you in advance!!

Thanks guys! This will really help in my journey to face my own anxieties. I will let you know how I get on. :)

Here you go:
:)

1. work meetings, parties, crowds of any kind
2. scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, 8, 10, 10
3. oh crap will i have to speak?, what in the world will i say?, i am trapped, AAARRGGGHHH!
4. racing heart beat, sweating, dry mouth, fear, extreme need to flee
5. then, no coping mech, now, do the AWARE system=
Acknowledge and accept
Wait, watch, and maybe work
Actions to make self comfortable
Repeat as necessary
End
6. Since i was very young
7. i assume it came from multiple traumas starting at age 1 month
8. female

jaim38

talking to strangers, being in a crowded place, waiting in line, walking into a room where everybody's seated and having everybody looking at me, sitting in public, eating in the restaurant

It varies. The more aware people are of me, the more distressing it gets

I'm thinking I need to get my body movements right, pretend to be normal and confident, and try not to stare at people.

My body becomes more rigid and I start moving mechanically like a robot. Every move is precalculated and done for a purpose. I also become colder.

Try not to give eye contact to people except the person I'm talking to, check myself in the mirror to make sure I don't look weird, wearing a sweater helps.

Almost my whole life

Yes, many events do

female

spearhunter

Ok heres goes my answers

1.Mostly being the center of attention
2.Very distressing, I have to look at the floor because i cant stand others in the eyes.
3.That i might say something stupid or wrong and other will correct me.
4.Weird feeling on the inside, Its very weird, cant tell what it is.
5.Go ahead and try, tell yourself that your doing it to get better.take it as a challenge.
6.Over 13 years, since I was 13 years old
7.A bit being bullied at school, or having said the wrong thing.
8.Male

1. What social situations cause you anxiety? one to one conversation, talking about myself, presentations, in a large crowd, going to parties
2. How distressing in this situation? very
3. When you're in this situation, what are you thinking at the time? I want to get out, let me go home, I just want to go home, nobody likes me, I cant talk, what am I supposed to say
4. How is your body reacting when you are anxious? I blank out, heartrate increases, I crack my knuckles, I look down on the floor, I need the toilet, I sometime cry,my speech gets all messed up
5. If you have no choice but to face the social situation, what are your coping mechanism? drink, ask basic questions and smile and laugh and listen
6. How long have you suffered with social anxiety? since highschool
7. Was there an event that triggered your social anxiety? not that I can remember
female