Have you seen worse?

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Quite a few times when I've been out and about I've noticed someone who seemed to be - to me at least - suffering from SA. They showed all the usual nervousness, self consciousness etc etc.

So I noticed these things because I've been there. I knew how that person was feeling (if they where indeed suffering SA of course). It got me to thinking..

There are people that suffer SA in all different forms and varying levels of severity. I have seen that I am not the worst sufferer out there. Though at times it has certainly felt I was. But I now know that there are people wayyyy
worse off then I am.
It's weird, because in a strange way that thought has helped in my fight against SA.

Have you ever noticed someone you thought was suffering from bad SA?
What happened? How did it make you feel about them?
How did it make you feel about your situation?

MollyBeGood

I worked around a kid, 18 or so, so I guess he was tech an adult, he was the nephew of the woman who owned the shop I worked at. Anyways, he was so awkward it was literally painful to be around him, he used to hang out and use the internet there. She, his aunt and others would talk neg about him when he was gone, even told me he was abused by his father which might have been his issue, but they still were insensitive to him. I talked to him about art and drawing, moving to Seattle. He brought me in some pencils to try out. It was the first time he ever said two sentences to anyone when we talked. I felt really bad for him. He did make me look normal in my awkwardness. We spoke a few times about other things-He really struck me in his sadness. I wanted to help him but didn't know how.

Argentum

I was in a class once with a guy who would pretty much just say "yes" or "no" in response to questions asked, and nothing else the whole two semesters I was seeing him around. I got the impression that he was more withdrawn than quiet.

I worked around a kid, 18 or so, so I guess he was tech an adult, he was the nephew of the woman who owned the shop I worked at. Anyways, he was so awkward it was literally painful to be around him, he used to hang out and use the internet there. She, his aunt and others would talk neg about him when he was gone, even told me he was abused by his father which might have been his issue, but they still were insensitive to him. I talked to him about art and drawing, moving to Seattle. He brought me in some pencils to try out. It was the first time he ever said two sentences to anyone when we talked. I felt really bad for him. He did make me look normal in my awkwardness. We spoke a few times about other things-He really struck me in his sadness. I wanted to help him but didn't know how.

I can imagine you did help him to a degree simply by talking with him :thumbup: I think that around 18 is a sensitive age these days, whereas it probably wasn't so in the past and that older people don't realise this and try to get tough on them prematurely.

PugofCrydee

I can imagine you did help him to a degree simply by talking with him :thumbup: I think that around 18 is a sensitive age these days, whereas it probably wasn't so in the past and that older people don't realise this and try to get tough on them prematurely.

I agree :thumbup:

Kiwong

Yes, there was a guy at the Deli in Woolies.

He stood back while waiting to be served.

"Can you hurry up, I just want to get out of here."

After he left one of the staff said.

"He has anxiety."

I knew how he felt.

worrywort

I met one guy who I was told by his brother that he had SA, and yea he was a little quiet and shy and a bit nerdy. But he was also really cool and I got on with him quite well, and I probably wouldn't have known about his SA if I wasn't told.

And actually, someone remarked that about me recently too. When they found out I was massively introverted and spend most of my time alone they were really surprised because I seemed to be able to chat and socialize very comfortably.

It makes me wonder whether I've actually come across way more people with SA than I realise. You really can't tell what's going on under the surface with people. It also makes me wonder whether other people don't see the inner me anywhere near the degree that I feel like I'm leaking it out.

yes definitely. Theres members and guests on the forum who have it to the point they can't make a post or sign up to make a post. I think of them every time I log into spw

I don't have SA (I am an introvert and I dont like being surrounded by people but I don't have SA) but I recognise it in others. I have a lot of time for anyone who struggles with any kind of issues. I always try to guage the situation and act in their best interest. (usually involves smiling to acknowledge them but leaving them be) But if its a situation like in college were they cant be on their own for whatever reason, if its group work or labs or something Ill go straight over because I know they wont approach anyone and also because I know Id be better at putting them at ease than someone who has no idea about SA or anxiety.

Last edited:

PugofCrydee

yes definitely. Theres members and guests on the forum who have it to the point they can't make a post or sign up to make a post. I think of them every time I log into spw

I don't have SA (I am an introvert and I dont like being surrounded by people but I don't have SA) but I recognise it in others. I have a lot of time for anyone who struggles with any kind of issues. I always try to guage the situation and act in their best interest. (usually involves smiling to acknowledge them but leaving them be) But if its a situation like in college were they cant be on their own for whatever reason, if its group work or labs or something Ill go straight over because I know they wont approach anyone and also because I know Id be better at putting them at ease than someone who has no idea about SA or anxiety.

That's really cool of you :thumbup:
If only there were more people like you who considered others. Especially the group activity thing, in my younger days I was always terrified that I wouldn't get picked until last. Or left by myself entirely.

Halym

Banned
Yeah, I met a girl with severe SA.. I was told by her friend that she had severe SA.. Sometimes she would stop responding me.. So, I asked her friend what was going on with her.. She told me that girl's been suffering with severe SA..
It made me feel sorry for her.. I understood what she was going through because I have SA too.. One night, I cried, feeling sorry for her after I heard that people abused her for her whole life.. I tried everything I could to make her happy.. But I don't think she is ever getting happy.. After I met her, I thought that she could understand me fully.. And at first she did.. But lately, she has been avoiding me... But I feel that we're both connected and want to help her no matter what.. I really do...

Yes, all the time. I read about some of the things people on this site struggle with, and while I'm not glad they have it that badly, I can't help but feel like my own issues have been put into a different perspective. Just generally, I know some people can't leave the house, be in a crowd, make phone calls, eat in public, etc., and while sometimes things like phone calls and interviews make me anxious, the level of anxiety is usually low enough to only be mild discomfort. I often think my SA is a nightmare... well, I can't imagine what it would be like to not even be able to leave your house or to be in public.

I actually love being in a crowd, I feel more annonymous and NOT scrutinized that way. Just one in a sea of faces.