Have you ever jumped into a hole in the ice?

mads

Of course no teacher can force you into jumping into ice cold water. At least not in a civilized country.

In Denmark we have some people doing it also, it should be quite healthy, but you get the same with just taking a cold shower, so I would just do that, if I wanted to try how it is, but I dont want to ;)

Um... I think 60º F weather is cold. Just thought I'd add that to this conversation. Yeah. Not sure how I'd handle ice water.

Same here... although I would actually say that anything under 70 F is too cold for me.

When I was around 10 I think, I did fall through the ice on the top of a pool... my sister and I were being babysat by a girl (who was 13 or 14) who thought it would be fun to see if we could try to "ice skate" (although we didn't have skates) on the top of her pool... but the ice wasn't that thick. ::(:

Who would prevent that guy from showing his students what it's like to be sexually tortured, and how people lose their rationality when subjected to extreme pain and humiliation? I mean, nobody would have to do it - but if you don't, it can lower the grade.

Either you are lying, or this guy is sick and should be reported.

hey, sexual abuse is an entirely different level. some courses require extreme challenges. He prepares us for our future jobs, i guess .. We study care and many of us wants to become a doctor or something similar. But still, he should be more careful and sympathetic if someone's scared.

Either way, it's not going to teach you anymore than you know now. Everyone knows that icy water is icy. Everyone knows that the body starts to slow down in such a low temperature. What else do you need to know? Is your teacher going to light his students on fire so they know what it feels like to burn? Sounds silly to me! Hopefully you can get out of it somehow.

I think he wants us to know exactly how it feels. Words is not enough for him, he wants us to feel and understand it. I should totally ask him about that. If he's planning on a fire project later to see if we're suited to become firefighters.

throw the teacher's camera in the water to teach him a lesson and/or report this idiot to the proper authorities

I wish i could but everyone else think it's funny so one vote doesn't matter in this position. He showed the pictures on a big screen for the whole class. Not until afterwards he asked me if it was okay because he knows I hate his ****ing camera.

klytus

Eh. Sorry, I have no words for how sick I find this. Is this in mandatory school, or are you in a martial arts, or survival course? The latter I would understand, and find relatively normal - but such activities have no place whatsoever in a normal school curriculum. Period.

sexual abuse is an entirely different level
I wasn't speaking of abuse - against people's will. Just torture, semi-voluntarily, to know what it's like to have to endure extreme pain and humiliation. I honestly don't see the real difference to what you are about to do.

Last edited:
Eh. Sorry, I have no words for how sick I find this. Is this in mandatory school, or are you in a martial arts, or survival course? The latter I would understand, and find relatively normal - but such activities have no place whatsoever in a normal school curriculum. Period.

I wasn't speaking of abuse - against people's will. Just torture, semi-voluntarily, to know what it's like to have to endure extreme pain and humiliation. I honestly don't see the real difference to what you are about to do.

I can totally understand how you're thinking. Maybe i forgot to tell you it's our gym class teacher (if that makes any difference?) and i think it's a lot about survival, yes. Define what a normal school is .. i mean, it's rather large differences from country to country.

I think it's a big difference. what would you choose and why? - to be sexually tortured or jump down a hole in the ice?

klytus

I think it's a big difference. what would you choose and why? - to be sexually tortured or jump down a hole in the ice?

I don't see any sense in either, so I would opt out. The teacher may carry on and do it himself, but I certainly would not - unless it was necessary, and the reason convincing enough.

I can totally understand how you're thinking. Maybe i forgot to tell you it's our gym class teacher (if that makes any difference?) and i think it's a lot about survival, yes. Define what a normal school is .. i mean, it's rather large differences from country to country.

In my entire time at school, in three different European countries, I have not come across any such practices you mentioned.

My problem with this is that not taking part in it is almost impossible for students. For one, since it's public, people will think of you as a coward. Then, since it's apparently part of the standard curriculum, your grade may suffer from it. So, no half-way normal student would tell that teacher to fuck off and jump in the hole himself. The pressure, both social and educational, towards doing it is off-putting.

I had to take bullcrap from lots of teachers. That's partly why I feel a strong resentment towards them. I just think that such activities should be forbidden, or entirely voluntarily.

Lea

Banned
My cousin when she went to school, their teacher gave them a homework to catch a grasshoper and suffocate him in a glass, so that it dies undamaged. It was so sad to watch the poor grasshoper die... Then they had to bring it to school to anatomize it... If it was today, I would firstly not let my cousin do it (I can't understand how stupid I was), second I would tell the idiotic teacher off.

Emily_G

My cousin when she went to school, their teacher gave them a homework to catch a grasshoper and suffocate him in a glass, so that it dies undamaged. It was so sad to watch the poor grasshoper die... Then they had to bring it to school to anatomize it... If it was today, I would firstly not let my cousin do it (I can't understand how stupid I was), second I would tell the idiotic teacher off.

How in the world do you suffocatea grasshoper :( I'd refuse...I don't care how much my grade suffered.

mrb

How in the world do you suffocatea grasshoper :( I'd refuse...I don't care how much my grade suffered.

i agree id just open a window and set it free :) and if the teacher said anything to me well ........ read my Signature on my posts :rolleyes:

My problem with this is that not taking part in it is almost impossible for students. For one, since it's public, people will think of you as a coward. Then, since it's apparently part of the standard curriculum, your grade may suffer from it. So, no half-way normal student would tell that teacher to f"k off and jump in the hole himself. The pressure, both social and educational, towards doing it is off-putting.

I had to take bullcrap from lots of teachers. That's partly why I feel a strong resentment towards them. I just think that such activities should be forbidden, or entirely voluntarily.

I'd be more okay with it if it wasn't in public and if i knew for sure that i'd survive the shock.
And i'm sorry for whatever you had to go through with your teachers. They're way too powerful.

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
Horrible .. we did something similar in our class. we had to set up a sheet with glue, inside the pig house to catch flies. they died. i thought it was sad.

Yes I know this, my grandparents always put it in the room as well to catch flies, or filled up bottles with sugary water and soon it was full of dead wasps.. they caught them on pupose because they thought they were harmful to our bees (bees didn't get caught because they could climb out, but the wasps couldn't). I didn't like that and when I got older, I was throwing these bottles away.

Everybody is talking about school...
Once my brothers class went to the morgue to see how autopsy was made for a man. They were about 16 years old. This was the first and the last time my school did that. Anybody seen anything like that? I haven't had a chance sadly.