Have you ever gone to a concert by yourself?

PhantomPod

I haven't, but there is one concert coming up that I want to go to so badly that I'm really considering just going by myself. It features three of my favorites bands from myspace. But it's at a popular club, in the city, on a Saturday night, so I'm sure I will end up chickening out and just not going. Damn, if only I had just one friend to go with... :(

slimjim119

No I haven't. But I have been to a few with some friends and my cousin. I'm not crazy about going to cities and crowded arenas. But once I get there, I usually have a good time. It might be a good experience going by yourself. But I wouldn't recommend it in any big city. Can be dangerous.

nofriends34

I've only been to one concert in my life. Since I don't have any friends I just went with my little brother. It was really awkward for me, but I was glad I went because I really liked the band. I probably wouldn't have gone by myself.

PhantomPod

I have gone to many concerts, but they have all been with my parents. Though, I know that this is not a concert my mom would want to be going to.

And yes, the whole safety thing is something I'm concerned about as well, as this is a big city and I don't know my way around 100%, and I'd be nervous walking around in the dark by myself.

dpr

I did once!

I was in college and I felt kind of weird going by myself, but I had just moved to a new town and didn't know anybody and I really wanted to see the concert. It was Wesley Willis.

Surprisingly, I made friends with people on the bus on the way there (who were also going to the same concert) and we hung out all night and became friends! We lost touch after a while, but it was one of those experiences that made me say to myself "See, sometimes things work out."

MrDooBee

Never have but my opinion is that you gotta do it. You gotta live your life you know? Im no expert, i chickened out of going to the Slipknot concert on my own and now i feel like shit because of it. Its really, really, really scary but once your favourite band starts playing you will be in heaven :) .

Richey

i've gone alone many times because alot of my friends arn't into the same music as i but why let that deny me of enjoying a live show? ..

sometimes you feel a little out of place but there are also many other people that go alone too and from my experiance ive had them walk up and talk simply because they saw that i was by my oncies as well, definately take a notepad and pen and a mobile phone to make yourself look occupied if you feel stranded with nothing to do because what'll happen is you start to get overwhelmed by the crowds waiting in line and you'll feel a little strange staring into space, but that's just me

so i witnessed a yeah yeah yeahs show some years back and twas fine, everyone is focussed on the stage and nobody cares if you are alone really they just want to have a fun night, i ended up hanging out with a group that were really nice bunch of people my age, partly because i blended in well with them as far as age-group and tastes and so forth, and also about half of their group was shy and the other half chatty so it was easy to just fall in and enjoy the night . ..

been alone to:

a perfect cirlce
the darkness
queens of the stone age
yeah yeah yeahs
motley crue
flaming lips
the strokes
sigur ros
jesus and mary chain
spoon
arcade fire

all amazing live shows and who the hell knows when they'll tour again, so its definately worth it ...

only thing is now i'm a student its very tricky to string enough dosh together to see live bands these days which i'm finding to be frustrating as a music fan, im not sure how long i can go living like this, the sooner this bloody course finished the sooner i can get a full time job to afford going again ...

JonnyD

i tjink you should, if there's nothing to stop you then go there and enjoy ;)

i only gone to one concert my whole life, the better thing i always did! just dont care about how you look and enjoy the music and jump! i need to do that again !!!

bretters

yeah go. i would go alittle later if i felt bad that day about it. But people in general do go to concerts alone, i always see em at gigs. Have a drink, relax.
i always feel strangely safe and calm at most concerts, maybe because people are there for the same one reason you are, unlike a club or bar...blahhh.

HH

Concerts are the best. I hardly go to a concert with someone-I always go on my own. I saw my favourite band three times over the past week (thr, fri,sat) yeah I felt a bit lonely but I'm not going to miss my favourite bands-no way. If it wasn't for gigs I'd probably wouldn't go out :D

ces4r87

I went to see Muse at MSG by myself. I also went to see WWE RAW at msg by myself, not really a concert but not something you would go to by yourself either. I had lots of fun both times. The people around me were really cool and it was as if I was with them. I also went to Projekt Revolution(Linkin Park) during the summer. I bought 4 tickets in order to force myself to find friends to go with. I ended up just taking my brother, my sister and her boyfriend. Neither of them likes rock, so at first I thought it was a waste, but we ended up having an awesome time. They loved it! I mean, 10 years, Atreyu, Chris Cornell, Linkin Park, who would bored at a concert like that??!!

GloomySunday

I've been to hundreds of shows by myself, no exaggeration. It's not that I don't have friends, I just have very unique taste in music! I know what my friends are into, music wise, so I don't even bother asking them to go when I see something advertised. I just go on line, buy a single ticket...and go!

They're mostly standing events, so I often go the front, lean on the barrier and watch the roadies set up. It doesn't matter if you're by yourself. No one seriously cares at those kinds of shows. The only time I would feel vaguely self conscious is if I went to a seated only venue...but, then again, I've done that and not really cared too much.

What you have to remember is, when the lights go down and the amps get fired up, no one in that room gives a damn about you...it's all about the magic that's happening right up there on that stage! Don't miss it because of your anxiety. Go! Go! Go!

I once went to a Billy Idol concert by myself. I had a good time but it's definitely better to go with someone.

Billy Idol said:
On the floor of tokyo
Or down in london town to go, go
With the record selection
With the mirror reflection
Im dancing with myself

When theres no-one else in sight
In the crowded lonely night
Well I wait so long
For my love vibration
And Im dancing with myself

Oh dancing with myself
Oh dancing with myself
Well theres nothing to lose
And theres nothing to prove
Ill be dancing with myself

If I looked all over the world
And theres every type of girl
But your empty eyes
Seem to pass me by
Leave me dancing with myself

So lets sink another drink
cause itll give me time to think
If I had the chance
Id ask the world to dance
And Ill be dancing with myself

Oh dancing with myself
Oh dancing with myself
Well theres nothing to lose
And theres nothing to prove
Ill be dancing with myself

But your empty eyes
Seem to pass me by

If I had the chance

Oh dancing with myself
Oh dancing with myself
If I had the chance
If I had the chance
If I had the chance

(scat)

Dancing with myself
Dancing with myself
Dancing with myself
Dancing with myself

But your empty eyes
Seem to pass me by

If I had the chance

Oh dancing with myself
Oh dancing with myself
If I had the chance
If I had the chance
If I had the chance

jw

Ya I have gone alone, mainly because I dont know anyone else with the same taste in music as me. I have also gone a couple times with friends. And it is much better with friends. I think the only bands that I have seen solo are Rush and Metallica.

jw

Psilopa

I have. I just have to choose venues with a maximum of music but a minimum of mingling. City festivals are great, there's always someone playing. Big events tend to follow their schedule rather well.

What I can't stand is pub gigs. The obvious problem is the fact that nobody knows when the band with start playing - usually much later than stated. It may shift the beers for the place owner, but waiting the the band in a crowded bar alone is sheer hell.

ljwwriter

Last year my sister was about to give me free tickets to a Christina Aguilara concert, but I couldn't find anyone to go with me and I definitely couldn't picture myself going alone. So no, I've never been to a concert alone, and I doubt I ever will. I don't even go to the movies alone. Heck, I hate going to the store alone.

thor01

Yeah i have, and i enjoyed them, in some ways i prefer it, if its a band you really love even if youre by yourself you kind of feel more in place and connected than in the normal world haha. I saw Helloween by myself in a club, and that was one of the best times ever, I'll also be seeing Judas Priest by myself.

PhantomPod

Well, I found out that a parking garage and a subway station are just a street over, so at least I won't have to walk far by myself in the dark, whether I want to drive into the city or take a the subway in.

I might go. I'm thinking about it more and more now. I've been to movies by myself before, but never a concert. I just might just suck it up and go and enjoy myself. We'll see...