Hate being so dependent on what others think...

neurotic-to-the-bone

Hey, i'm new here btw. This is just me venting a little.

It's like I can never stand up for myself one bit. I just leave it all to others to judge me. Because they are the ones who see me from the outside, I can never do that so I can never know, they are the ones who do. So if someone comments anything on me or something I do or did I automatically feel really stupid or/and embarrassed. Even more so that they can totally tell how much I care and how easy I am to put down.

Why the hell am I so terrified for what others think? And why am I letting other people stop me from living the life I want? :confused: I know it's not sensible, reasonable or logical but still this is how I feel and it's annoying as hell. :mad:
I'm just so extremely sensitive to critique and to what others think of me. I just can't deal with it. ::(:

Is this how you other social phobics feel as well?

Wow, it's really scary putting such personal feelings and thoughts out there like this. I don't know how you all manage to do that. ::p:

EscapeArtist

Hi =] and welcome, first of all...

Yes that's how exactly how I feel!! Something as minimal as a tired glance from a bus driver when I say hello can set me off and make me feel like scum for the rest of the day. On the other hand, because I care so much what others think of me, I need a lot of compliments and reassurance. It's scary sharing this stuff at first but it's just another fear that has to be faced, always do what you are afraid of. It gets easier, and the more you share the more others can relate and unexpected help and understanding can show itself.

neurotic-to-the-bone

Hey and thank you. :)

I'm glad you understand and that I made some sense then. I was just rambling on there out of pure frustration so I wasn't sure. :p I just needed to let it out somehow. Yes, it's really scary but I thought if all you other social phobics manage to do it I should as well or I would just get even more disappointed with myself. You're right, need to face what you're afraid of and hopefully it's gets easier..It's comforting to see that there are others who can relate because I think I just feel and think this way because it's just so weird being me. I still feel that but I feel slightly less weird anyway. :)

anxiety1408

Hey, I know exactly how you feel, I tend to be dependant on others opinions of me, and I basically feel I am being used by others in a way, We're going to have to learn to not take everyones opinion so seriously, firstly because its someone's opinion and its not a fact, Secondly its not our opinion so why should it have an effect on us we should work on our self esteem and be more kind to ourselves. And thirdly as they say you can't please everybody, everybody likes different things. Im going to try on work on my low self esteem. Good luck to you aswell!