Has knowing about SA lessened its effects somewhat?

Has knowing about SA lessened its effects somewhat?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zarrix

To a certain degree I think it has. Just knowing that there are others with the same problems makes you feel so much more at ease. Then again though, this year, Im only working and largely staying at home, with the occasional trip to the shopping centre or the movies with mates. I don't know what is going to happen next year when uni comes around.

Broken_Memory

I've been thinking about this too.

There's two different things about social phobia that i've noticed; one is that KNOWING I have social phobia makes me avoid more because I'll say "ah, here, I'm feeling anxious. I'll just avoid and not put myself through torture" (happened over the weekend when I avoided going to a neighbours' party because I knew I didn't feel comfortable at all. Back when I was just "shy" and didn't know about social phobia, I went even though I felt uneasy).

The other thing is like what you've said, KNOWING that others have it too and knowing that its "all in my head" makes me sometimes capable of zapping myself out of my negative thoughts.

Predacon

I'd say yes to a degree, knowing what it is helps with figuring out the best way to deal with different situations.

Edith

At first it was so nice to think that there was an actual problem and I wasn't just crazy... then THAT made me go a little crazy. I started to use the lable of SA as a crutch and started doing less and less sinceI found out about it because it was my excuse to not participate, whereas before I still felt like I had too. That took a while to work out in my head.

If anything knowing about SA made it's effects more prominent and pronounced in my life.

sidney

yes cus i no longer feel like im going crazy, before i would have obsesed over it trying to figure out what it was which made it worse as i couldnt get my mind off it, now i know what it is and i know its not really my fault

CPA23

It does help knowing what I've had for all these years actually has a name to it and that there are many others who suffer from it. When you think about it, its all psychological. You have to tell yourself to not think all these negative or bad thoughts. However, sometimes it is so hard to control. You just have to take it one day at a time and just count your blessings.

de

no i dont think so before i thought it was just a matter of me being shy or quiet and in that case i could get over it by trying forceing myself into situations i was really un comfortable nut it always backfired and i became worse because of it now that i know there is something wrong mentally its a bit unsettleing.but on the othr hand its releiving to know that im not the only onewhoo has these problems

Zarrix

It is certainly an interesting topic for debate

Its
*"Oh no I know I've got a mental problem" vs "Im glad I'm not the only one"

But for me, Knowing about it has helped me do some things I normally wouldn't do. If you don't know how the monster attacks you inside, then you haven't got much of a chance of beating it.

ShyDreamer

I voted no
but then I read the comments and thought about it.
Of course it has lessened it because I kno Im not alone, Im not a lunatic and there are medical professionals who can help me.

princess_haru

Zarrix said:
Its
*"Oh no I know I've got a mental problem" vs "Im glad I'm not the only one"

Exactly. The thing is, I've always felt like there was something "wrong" with me, so being able to put a name to it was more of a relief than an added worry.

Knowing I'm not alone has helped a lot too, as I used to feel painfully alone. It seems laughable now, but when I was in my early teens I felt as if I were the only person in the world who felt the way I did and had the strange thoughts I had. Over the years I gradually realised that I wasn't so alone, but it's still been a shock to discover there are places like this board! I'm very glad to have stumbled across it, so I've voted yes.