Has anyone

Dave1989

On here managed to or know somebody who has managed to overcome their s.a without therapy, for example using self help books and worksheets? It's an area of interest for me as the therapist I saw around three years ago was of very little help, i'm now using self help books (overcoming social anxiety, the broken mirror) and do feel i've made some progress but obviously am nowhere near a full recovery yet.

Feathers

Yeah, I've overcome a lot with just books and such too.. :) And some cool roommates ha ha.. And drama worshops etc.

There are still things I have anxiety about, so I think this is gradual and 'not forever', you can have relapses and in certain conditions can still have anxiety.. There were times when I had less (or more) anxiety about certain things.. So this is 'up and down' in connection to other things in life, like nutrition/stress/lifestyle and probably environmental toxics and such too (there can be neurotoxins in new clothes even!).. Basically you need to 'overcome circles of comfort' I guess and live a meaningful life and learn constructive problem-solving.. And constantly deal with thoughts and lifestyle etc. (And ideally contribute to and fight for healthier environment.. :))

I've heard some people here had bad experience with therapists too, it probably depends on the therapist.. some people say they had to see a few before they found someone helpful they 'clicked' with..

Last edited:

Feathers

I have conquered a lot of my SA and what helped me is exposure mostly. I have never read a self-help book before. I think if I were to ever fall back into the downward spiral of SA again which I am very vulnerable of doing so, I think that I would just give up because like I have come across so many people who just screw you over in a horrible way and I just feel like I don't want to let anybody in my life anymore.

Good to hear you did it by yourself, with exposure mostly! Did you have any help from relatives/friends, or what made you do the exposure thing and how did you do it? (gradually bit by bit or just 'jump into things'? or a mixture of both?)

Hm, yeah, giving up can help sometimes.. And it's normal to have a grieving period or a time when you're down after a stressful situation..
I think maybe you just need to filter people in your life better.. Like get to know them well first, before you go from 'acquaintance' to 'something more'?

ilmatross

exposure and my past relationship helped me more in a year then therapy did in 3, so that's telling of what you can do on your own

cool plugs btw :D

Dave1989

exposure and my past relationship helped me more in a year then therapy did in 3, so that's telling of what you can do on your own

cool plugs btw :D

Good to hear, I do feel i've overcame a fair bit by myself but it just feels as soon as i make some real headway in overcoming it, i notice something ( someone laughing, staring the usual ;) ) and that sets me back.

Thanks :D, used to have them at 24 mm but it got a bit annoying feeling like i had dinner plates swinging from my ears haha.

Dave1989

Yeah, I've overcome a lot with just books and such too.. :) And some cool roommates ha ha.. And drama worshops etc.

There are still things I have anxiety about, so I think this is gradual and 'not forever', you can have relapses and in certain conditions can still have anxiety.. There were times when I had less (or more) anxiety about certain things.. So this is 'up and down' in connection to other things in life, like nutrition/stress/lifestyle and probably environmental toxics and such too (there can be neurotoxins in new clothes even!).. Basically you need to 'overcome circles of comfort' I guess and live a meaningful life and learn constructive problem-solving.. And constantly deal with thoughts and lifestyle etc. (And ideally contribute to and fight for healthier environment.. :))

I've heard some people here had bad experience with therapists too, it probably depends on the therapist.. some people say they had to see a few before they found someone helpful they 'clicked' with..

Everyone experiences anxiety at some point so that's to be expected :), it's good to know this approach does seem to work well gives me a lot more hope.