has anyone on this forum overcome this disorder???

slowmotiondaydream

i have.. but only the times when i had a girlfriend. then i got straight back into sa and avoidance :( but funny, cause ive always broken up with them .. so i put myself into this pretty much

but i know there is hope to overcome it ... fear not :)

missjesss

Banned
omg ME TOO I was overcoming this with my ex but he wasnt 100% what I wanted I tried to break it off 4 times then my confidence went down and it was coming back so I got back together all times so now its deff over for good and i started seeing a therapist and back on my meds again :-(

I did not overcome it. I've still many things I'm anxious about, especially in professional and formal social settings. But I do manage to get things done and I have had friends and still have some of them. For me, I did not even know of the concept of social phobia or things like depression until I am in my twenties. Social phobia, I only know upon chancing across this site.

That means that whatever anxiety and difficulties I face, I usually take them head on because I don't know any better. I get depressed, I rage and I get back to studying or working. There are some challenges that break me down completely and some that build me up... and after all this time, I'm beginning to appreciate this difference.

I know that I have lots of problems that makes things much much harder for me to do. And often, I can't solve them directly. What I do is to accumulate skills and other abilities so that I can compensate somehow. I make the natural human satisfaction that comes from learning a source of comfort at times... at others, I just try and learn more useful things as they may come in handy some day.

slowmotiondaydream

you wouldnt want to. i hate everything about it, right down to the sitting in class where everyone is talking to each other and you're sitting in between them all

Feathers

well, I loved studying!! :) depends what you study though and if the course is interesting and professors knowledgeable and people there nice.. :) (I hated some courses but loved meeting interesting people in the courses or hallways sometimes ha ha..)
maybe you need to study something else? :)

MissJess, There have been threads like this one, look around the forum.. People have overcome SA, to various degrees, or are overcoming it..

I've overcome it before and am sorta overcoming it again too.. It's a process, and I don't expect to ever be super-sociable and always hanging in cafes, nor would I really want to (cause I think it can sometimes be a waste of time..)

I'm overcoming it one day at a time and meeting lots of wonderful people on the way, including you guys here!! :)

So, what would overcoming it mean to you? Maybe make a list of things you'd be able to do? It can be different for everyone..

missjesss

Banned
mmm yes you are right feathers, I basically would like to get to the point where I feel comfortable to be myself in public when im with friends or my bf, I would love to go back to do a beauty therapy course and make some friends from school

UnOccupied

mmm yes you are right feathers, I basically would like to get to the point where I feel comfortable to be myself in public when im with friends or my bf, I would love to go back to do a beauty therapy course and make some friends from school

I think the hard part about being "ourselves" in public is the fact that this is practically impossible. Our strive for perfectionism keeps us locked into SA, because rather than focusing on the times when we were actually ourselves, we get caught up in the times we weren't ourselves. This just keeps the cycle going onnnnn and onnnnn and onnnnnnnnnnnnnn:confused:

Focus on those times you WERE yourself, it will help, trust me!

UnOccupied

Oh, and also, stop beating yourself up every time you are not able to be yourself. This happens to some extent to EVERYONE, even teachers, adults, and professionals. Some people are just hard to be comfortable around. The best thing you can do is actively accept yourself in every mood and in every moment you are in. :)