Has anyone been tested for vitamin deficiencies?

J4812

I know that a lot of people get their thyroid tested, but has anyone gotten tested for vitamins that are lost through sweat like magnesium, potassium, iodine, etc.? I know that taking extra vitamins might not solve the hyperhidrosis, but it might help your health overall. Even though I can't stand the sweating, sometimes I also worry about what some of the other side effects it is having on my health such as vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

aries86

That's a good point. It seems like excessive sweating would cause other deficiencies. I have often wondered how this disorder effects the body, especially in comparison to those who do not suffer from HH. I think it would also be interesting to see how these effects vary within the HH population. I have recently began taking supplements recently, but I have not seen a big difference in sweating. I was hoping that I would. I've been thinking about taking in more magnesium. I've heard some things about magnesium as it is related to sweating. Not sure what it is all about but, I'm willing to try anything.

corranhorn

I have been tested. All normal. I take 400mg of magnesium daily, as well as zinc, sage, and a lot of superfoods.

Magnesium is thought to help reduce sweating and body odor. It is good to take with zinc and calcium. Zinc helps with adrenal function and helps reduce body odor. Calcium helps the body absorb magnesium. More than likely, taking a whole bunch of supplements will not make a noticeable difference in your sweating. But for the price and availability, as well as the other health benefits, it's worth trying. If one person in 10,000 can be cured of HH by simply taking magnesium, try it for awhile.

Of course, the best way to get magnesium is naturally. I would mix supplements as well as natural sources like spinach and artichoke to try to reach 400mg per day. You'd have to eat a crapload of vegetables and other things if you want to get it all naturally.

corranhorn

Englishman, I've read a lot of your posts and you seem really afflicted. Have you ever thought of trying natural medicine? Acupuncture, nutritionist, etc. It's easy to do, and you only have to try it once to rule it out. Give it a shot, you never know.

EscapeArtist

I was tested awhile back when it was a lot worse (the anxiety). I have been anemic for a lot of my life, so that was there, but is now fixed. One thing that is important to note is that you should ask to actually see the results. My B12 was 155 and the lowest is 150 here in Canada. In other countries, the lowest is in the 200-300 range, and moderate is between 250-1000, so by other standards I was deficient and yet the doctors did not tell me that. Well I was extremely fatigued and I also had shooting nerve pain up both of my hips, I looked up what that was and it turns out it's nerve damage from low B12. I supplemented with sublinguals and felt this immediate euphoria of energy and the nerve pain went away immediately, although apparently that could have been permanent nerve damage. Anyways the lesson here is check your own results! so that you know whether you are on the lower spectrum! Because they wont tell you anything if you're JUST in range

Englishman

Englishman, I've read a lot of your posts and you seem really afflicted. Have you ever thought of trying natural medicine? Acupuncture, nutritionist, etc. It's easy to do, and you only have to try it once to rule it out. Give it a shot, you never know.

No I haven't tried these options, but I agree with you, I am really afflicted by my condition. In fact, it controls my life. Maybe I'll look in to it but I'm not feeling too optimistic.

sean_turner74

I was tested before and everything came back normal. I wish there was a simple explanation for what causes HH but apparently there isn't one yet.

I have been tested. All normal. I take 400mg of magnesium daily, as well as zinc, sage, and a lot of superfoods.

Magnesium is thought to help reduce sweating and body odor. It is good to take with zinc and calcium. Zinc helps with adrenal function and helps reduce body odor. Calcium helps the body absorb magnesium. More than likely, taking a whole bunch of supplements will not make a noticeable difference in your sweating. But for the price and availability, as well as the other health benefits, it's worth trying. If one person in 10,000 can be cured of HH by simply taking magnesium, try it for awhile.

Of course, the best way to get magnesium is naturally. I would mix supplements as well as natural sources like spinach and artichoke to try to reach 400mg per day. You'd have to eat a crapload of vegetables and other things if you want to get it all naturally.
Do you find that the magnesium, zinc and sage work for you?

I've had some success with sage, though it's hard to tell because it's winter here and my sweating isn't so bad in the winter.

SeanBoi

Hi,

I've tried many different things to cure my generalised hyperhidrosis. So far the only thing that has worked properly is prescription 'oxybutynin hydrochloride', I believe this is called Ditropan in the USA. I'm from Ireland where it is known as 'Cystrin'. But as you may have heard it can have side effects such as dry mouth. I also find that Aluminium Chloride antiperspirant also works but can sting a bit.

I remain determined to find a more natural cure. I have cut dairy out of my diet (mainly milk as I have always drank it and used it on breakfast cereals, I now drink rice milk instead).
I have actually been trying magnesium citrate and a magnesium liquid supplement too, they say 400mg is the recommended daily allowance but I have been taking 900 to 1000mg.
I have only been doing this for a week so far. They say it can take months of supplementing to sufficiently get you magnesium levels back to normal so I plan to keep at it and see how it goes. Apparently your body only absorbs 30% or so of magnesium supplements, hence the lengthy process before getting results. Magnesium citrate is supposed to be the best type for absorbing into your system.

I've also started taking Centrum Advance, this a general supplement that has everything, such as zinc and all your B vitamins.

I'm hoping that the combination of this and the magnesium citrate will work.
If I am having positive results I will post back. Actually I will post back even if its just to say that I had no positive results.

Seanboi

J4812

I just went to the doctors and my vitamin d was very low and has always been very low. Does anyone else with hyperhidrosis have vitamin D deficiency? Just wondering if there's any connection.

also, @sean i heard that ditropan causes memory loss?

hyp-hi

I just got the results from a blood test and my Bilirubin levels were high. Just thought I would add some data to this thread. Has anyone else had tests done lately?

Englishman

I just got the results from a blood test and my Bilirubin levels were high. Just thought I would add some data to this thread. Has anyone else had tests done lately?

I had one 2 days ago, came back with high potassium levels.

johnk

I have generalisd hh.i just took the results and my vitamin d is extremely low,14.Alsi i gad vitamin c deficiency and now i m gonna take many supplements..I see that many of you have refered vitamin deficiency.Also other refer potassium.I think that usually there is a connection between vitamin defficiency and hyperhidrosis..i will keep you informed about my hh after vitamin supplements

WetDawg

low D levels for a couple years. taking 50,000 IU prescription D-bombs twice a week, and 6000 IUs five days a week. will be tested in a couple months.