Hand clasping/posture thing...

SickJoke

Soo, I've got this thing where I have no idea what to do with my arms/hands in social situations?! I'm always convinced that my overall posture just looks wrong, along with my facial expression, like I'm gurning or something, even though I know rationally that I'm not. I caught a glimpse of myself in a train window today and it was horrific...I looked so, I dunno, stiff and awkward with my arms folded. Also, when I walk down the street where there's lots of people I don't know how to swing my arms in time. I feel like I look weird if I fold them all the time, but it's awkward to just let them hang by my sides.
Does anyone else get where I'm coming from?

Yeah it's self consciousness. How do you stand and walk when you're completely relaxed, in the comfort of your own home? Mimic that everywhere you go. If you really want to learn proper body language you could do some research on the Alexander Technique. But basically in relaxed posture your hands would be comfortably at your sides.

Rise Against

I do the same thing... my body language sucks... the other day a person actually approached me and asked me if i was alright because i looked "out of it". Im trying to fix it but am not sure how.

bleach

Banned
It can also help to focus on the people around you rather than focus on yourself. Remember that everyone is constantly projecting their emotions through body language and expression. Watch other people and interpret the emotions they are expressing. Not only can this ease your own anxiety, but it will make communication much less difficult because you will be able to match wavelengths to any person with whom you talk. A very valuable habit and skill to develop.

g35

yeh it's all about confidence in yourself, I used to feel the same way you do, I always shove my hands in the jean pockets so they dont swing around haha, but eventually I stopped cuz its weird if you're doing it all the time. One thing that helped me was to make yourself look good, gel you hair, wear cologne,etc, that helped me.

Hang out with your wang out! lol

lime

Its strange but if you think you look fine and relaxed, you will give off relaxed body language, if you think you look weird and awkward, then again this will reflect on your body language.
Interrupting this cycle can be tricky, but the more you drill into your mind that you NEVER look anywhere near as bad as you think you do (your emotion blows your self image way out of proportion) the more relaxed you'll feel.

I also find focusing too much on this problem is a problem in itself. When other people are out and about, they're so busy and focused on other things.. what they're gonna have for dinner, relationship troubles etc.
By giving your attention to something other than your Social Anxiety (as hard as it might be), you're actually giving less fuel for the fire and reducing any awkwardness.

well i use to look down all the time and you always look at objects and things as i would walk, never to people
i'm now better, i can like look at people and talk to strangers but even now, naturally i want to put my head down...but i try not to let that happen

usually these days, when i'm working i do my job properly and well when i'm alone as i can focus and think out a plan and do things logically and correctly...whenever someone comes along i lose my in head plan and relaxation and if i contnue working in their presence then i just do the job without thinkin, this sometimes has ended up in stuffing something up or i would have to start all over again

Hah I made a similar thread not long ago (I think it's a common issue)

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/i-have-problems-walking-in-public-11842/

I usually have my right hand in my jeans pocket and the thumb of my other hand in the other pocket, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I feel awkward walking like that though thinking I might look like a ponce. lol. It's better if I have something to carry, though I can't have a handbag like women sadly.

back pack man!

TheNewZero

I used to have this problem...sort of went away though. But whenever I think about walking I get really self-conscious too. You can't think about it, it screws you up.

Speaking of which...I can't go up the stairs in public. Do you go slowly or run up? I'm not quite sure which one...I feel like I look weird doing either.