guys im *******g it... group interview.... with over.....

Fin

30 people!!! Cue sleepless nights and worry AND all the BS that comes with it! I am absolutely dreading it. I know the 'just do your best' motto but fuuuu! I can feel myself starting to freak out. Anyone ever had a group interview? Any advice... Sedative.... Would be grand :crying:

dottie

fin, actually group interviews are better than one-on-one because there is less focus on you. my suggestions:

sit near the person conducting the interview
sit upright, don't slouch back in your chair
don't be afraid to play off other people's answers, incorporating your own twist, when it gets to be your turn
take interest in others' answers, nod when you agree. don't overdo it, just appear like you are paying attention, even when it is not your turn.
bring a nice business style folder to take notes in. even if you don't end up taking notes, it still makes you look good :p

don't worry. it's much easier than one-on-one. get there early, too, so you get a good spot!

Fin

Aww thanx Dottie very very helpful tips will keep them in mind. Just the nerves they suck. Will keep on with the reasearch etc. Gahhhhhh!

dottie

for the nerves i suggest vodka because they can't smell it on your breath.

(totally kidding)

for real, though, you will be blend right in. i'm sure you will do fine!

bcsr

30 people!!! Cue sleepless nights and worry AND all the BS that comes with it! I am absolutely dreading it. I know the 'just do your best' motto but fuuuu! I can feel myself starting to freak out. Anyone ever had a group interview? Any advice... Sedative.... Would be grand :crying:

I had to do an oral board (group interview) with a round table full of ranking officers ranging from corporals to lieutenants as part of the hiring process with the sheriff's department. It really wasn't that bad, and I wasn't anymore nervous than a one-on-one interview.

They went around the table asking questions one at a time. I just focused on the current "asker", kept eye contact with them, and kind of tuned the others out.

FollowMe

A couple of beers and you'll be feeling like a King!

Try not to think about it before the day comes. Really, you can take control of your mind and stop stressing about it if you really tried. Stressing about the interview will only make it 1000 times worse.

When game day comes, drink a cup of coffee beforehand. Just try not to think about it because you won't suddenly start to feel better about the interview!

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

Group interview? Never been through one of those! I don't think I would like it all all. I am very articulate and could hold my own but sitting next to so many people could throw me off and cause me to get uncomfortable. It could go either way for me..........
Good Luck! What type of job?