greetings from Aus! (24, female)

roseycheeks

Hi All

im so glad I came across this site.

I havent been diagnosed with SA, im here mostly because im quite shy, and find certain social situations arouse a lot of fear and anxiety in me. I try to cover it up by 'wearing' a mask but at the end of the day i cant help but feel fake and disapointed with myself (annnd wearing a mask requires so much effort.. constant monitoring and self awareness. it's not the life i want to live).

Anyway, currently Im studying psychology, which i love, but am starting to doubt my confidence in persuing the career.. i mean i have the drive and passion to help others but cant help but question if it'd be worth the anxiety.. i really dont know.. n i imagine my whole 'people pleasing' characteristic would work against providing an honest and supportive service... bah :(

so here i am, hoping to learn some ways to overcome these problems (or atleast better deal with them) and meet some other cool peeps :)

ahh, what a relief it is to finally be open about this stuff ~

roseycheeks

argh, 2 days and no1 has replied :(
(not that im counting... )
trying not to care but cant help it...
somehow i feel that it reflects my self worth.
thats pretty fked , huh.

does anyone else get anxious when they start a post?
you think you'd be able to shake these feelings when you're online.

roseycheeks

hello kien and slowmotion
nice to meet you both :)

Slowmotion: I'm from melbourne!
where in syd are you? an ex of mine lives in Chifley

dottie

roseycheeks said:
thats pretty fked , huh.

don't worry, i am the same way. i always hope someone will respond to my posts to validate my feelings. maybe people don't reply much because we are only allowed 7 posts in 24 hours (ugh) and they want to be sure to utilize those posts on things that are especially important to them to say. kwim? anyway, sounds like you are in the right place, here. welcome!

Rodox

roseycheeks said:
thats pretty fked , huh.

Dont worry,its just pretty slow around here,by the way,welcome!

roseycheeks

dottie said:
don't worry, i am the same way. i always hope someone will respond to my posts to validate my feelings. maybe people don't reply much because we are only allowed 7 posts in 24 hours (ugh) and they want to be sure to utilize those posts on things that are especially important to them to say. kwim? anyway, sounds like you are in the right place, here. welcome!

hey dottie, thanks for your reply. MAde me feel much better. You also do have a good point :)

Radox, thanks for your welcome. nice to meet you too!

autumn_82

roseycheeks said:
thats pretty fked , huh.

I always get anxious when replying to a post. I've never gotten up the nerve to start a new one! When replying, once in a while someone will make a validating comment, but most of the time I don't get any direct replies to what I said. It always makes me feel a (large) twinge of insecurity, but I try not to obsess about it. And every time I see my screen name under "last reply" I cringe, because I feel so exposed. I'm afraid of what everyone's thinking when they see my name up there. The typical racing insecure thoughts.

roseycheeks

autumn_82 said:
I always get anxious when replying to a post. I've never gotten up the nerve to start a new one! When replying, once in a while someone will make a validating comment, but most of the time I don't get any direct replies to what I said. It always makes me feel a (large) twinge of insecurity, but I try not to obsess about it. And every time I see my screen name under "last reply" I cringe, because I feel so exposed. I'm afraid of what everyone's thinking when they see my name up there. The typical racing insecure thoughts.

wow, autumn, that pinpoints my feelings exactly!! especially the whole "last reply" thing. nice to know im not the only one but nevertheless it still a shitty feeling to have.

like, talking about it now.. i realise its so irrational because, when i think about it, its not like i reply to everyone's post.. even when i agree with whats being said.. why should everyone have to contribute to mine/agree with me.

but yeah.. i just cant let it go.

CK23

You just have to not give in... I know it's hard to be positive when you've been given the cold shoulder so much... but all of us here have more or less the same issues and there's no reason why we shouldnt share our feelings with each other... And i hope this venting would also help us to be able to socialize and meet people who are generally sweet and caring towards others...

roseycheeks

CK23 venting is great, especially when people here are so understanding.

hey LEx, nice to meet another melbournian

CK23

Yea, you're right... i feel the same way, my only problem is i expect too much cos of my anxiety...i always want to be listened to, talked to... made to feel important...i mean i dont know i'm eccentric i guess but i've just been let down too much and that makes me want to connect real bad with anyone who cares to lend a symphathetic ear to my words...I'm glad you got to vent your feelings here... i feel the same way 2...