good activities to help overcome APD/SA

jaypee06

anyone have any good ideas for activities that help manage APD or SA?

i recently joined a local basketball competition with an old high school classmate and a few of his friends and play weekly and so far it's been great in helping me feel positive about myself...

im also considering taking up piano lessons but im thinking it will just encourage me to spend more time at home in my room playing music by myself and won't do me as much good as another, more social, activity could

so what activities do you guys and girls know of that have helped you in your situation?

overcome.

Joining a gym. It'll increase your confidence and self esteem when you begin to look better, and you'd have a chance to be around lots of people and perhaps talk very briefly depending on how approachable you made yourself.

Uber Schnitzel

Any form of physical exercise, something that really pushes you. I also went out and got a job where I was in contact with hundreds of people (customers) a day so I was forced to interact with them. Sorta like getting dropped in the deep end and it may not work for you but it worked for me.

AGR

I just found out that there are like 4 boxing clubs near here,this without counting mma,muay thai clubs there are like 2,I am finding hard to choose,will definetely sign up tomorrow or next week,since this week I work the night shift and need to sleep well in the day,I am already feeling really anxious,but I cant stand to rot in my apartment anymore....

Tiercel

im also considering taking up piano lessons but im thinking it will just encourage me to spend more time at home in my room playing music by myself and won't do me as much good as another, more social, activity could

It puts you at risk for further isolation, but I wouldn't count it out completely. If you have the determination and persistence, you could suffer through the initial isolation to enjoy rewards further down the line.

For instance, you could decide that you'll take the piano lessons, but that you'll play Christmas songs somewhere in December. Or you could learn a bunch of older songs and play at an old folks home when you're ready. You could even practice for a while then look for a group of people to play with.

Then again, I've been playing the guitar for 11 years and look where it got me. Then again, wannabe guitarists are more numerous than plankton.

:rolleyes:

overcome.

Any form of physical exercise, something that really pushes you. I also went out and got a job where I was in contact with hundreds of people (customers) a day so I was forced to interact with them. Sorta like getting dropped in the deep end and it may not work for you but it worked for me.

Although my anxiety issues aren't completely linked with SA, doing this helped me with GAD and some other issues. Yeah, it's daunting, and anybody reading our posts probably will look away thinking there's some other way, because it's a fear, you won't want to hear it - but avoidance is what keeps your anxiety going.

Good move, and respect for your courage and strength. Repped!

I also went out and got a job where I was in contact with hundreds of people (customers) a day so I was forced to interact with them. Sorta like getting dropped in the deep end and it may not work for you but it worked for me.

I've had customer service jobs where I come into contact with hundreds of people a day for many years now, and while I have no problems being around people, I still can't socialize. Perhaps I need to move on to something that forces spontaneous interaction rather than structured/scripted. Plus it makes me despise the general public... which can't be a good thing.

Meisiemel

Dog-walking.It can help in so many different ways.It forces you out in spite of fear, people come up to you and start a conversation by commenting on the dog or asking a question about it, you can look at the dog while having a conversation and not worry about having to make too much eye-contact with the person, you can stroke the dog if you feel nervous(instead of, say-twirling your hair), you feel less self-conscious when someone is talking to you because the attention is focused more on the dog instead of all on you, you can talk to others while they are walking their dogs and you'll both be looking ahead as you walk, and there's no awkward standing facing each other for the whole conversation. If not for walking my dog, I would not have any friends, would not have got a boyfriend, and would never have come out of my shell at all. I still have severe social anxiety but dog-walking totally changed my life. There are a lot of things I am able to do now that I was completely incapable of before my father got a dog and made it my job to walk him every day.