God I hate my family...

DekKO

Well I had do go to my aunt's birthday party tonight which sucks because that means every family member in town is there. After she got done opening presents we all sat down and ate cake and ice cream. Now I've never liked sweets and everyone in family knows that but when everyone were serving themselves, they all kept asking me if I wanted cake or ice cream. I said no thanks but they kept persisting. I ended up saying no thanks to people about 7 times. My mom even asked me what was wrong with me. Why must they do this? It's so embarrassing.

When we're done eating we all sit down at the table and when the conversation hits a wall everyone then has to mention how quiet I am even though I can count on two hands some of the people at the table that were talking about as little as I was. Why does it always have to be a guilt trip for me when we get together? Ugh....

Jaysonguy

Well I had do go to my aunt's birthday party tonight which sucks because that means every family member in town is there. After she got done opening presents we all sat down and ate cake and ice cream. Now I've never liked sweets and everyone in family knows that but when everyone were serving themselves, they all kept asking me if I wanted cake or ice cream. I said no thanks but they kept persisting. I ended up saying no thanks to people about 7 times. My mom even asked me what was wrong with me. Why must they do this? It's so embarrassing.

When we're done eating we all sit down at the table and when the conversation hits a wall everyone then has to mention how quiet I am even though I can count on two hands some of the people at the table that were talking about as little as I was. Why does it always have to be a guilt trip for me when we get together? Ugh....
So you're upset because people offered you food and then wanted you to join in the conversation?

Here's the thing, do you not like sweets or are you allergic?

If you're invited to a party and they have cake or something it's polite to take a bite of something even if it's small slice and one or two small bites.

They asked you over and over because when there's a get together no one wants to make anyone else feel left out, just taking a small slice would solve that problem.

When it comes to you being quiet they just want to hear more from you, they don't expect a speech but maybe something like "know what's a food I love at parties? ENTER FOOD THAT'S NOT SWEET HERE".

Maybe if you said a favorite food you have they would make it or ever better yet say you'll bring a food next time and that way you can share it with everyone else and you have food too.

You're mistaking them trying to include you as them trying to single you out and from what you're saying that's not the case. It seems that they really enjoy you and want you to join in with food and discussion.

LazyHermitCrab

Ppl ask me why i'm quiet too. They should just start talking if they wanna talk not put you down first. I mean they probably don't think they're doing it but it's how it seems. It's like being ganged up on. As for the sweets you could just say thanks but no thanks i don't like sweets louder. That could be a quick conversation since it's unique you don't need to stuff your face with cake and icecream in order to celebrate a birthday.

Last edited:

Boby

People that care about you assume the worse when you are not talking,so that's why your family members asked why are you so quiet.But I admit,is annoying as hell ,in fact it's the most annoying question that somebody can ask me "Why are you so quiet?",it's a stupid question no matter what are the reasons of being quiet.
About the food well it happens to me every time at family meetings,everyone is so god damn polite that it annoys so much,for example my mother always has a stupid behaviour to make a resume of what dishes are available like I'm some kind of blind,disabled person who can't see or help himself to eat food.Usually I solve the problem by yelling and making my self clear,not the most diplomatic way but it has to be done.

Hehe, can totally relate. Though my parents don't care about cake or sweets, they just say, whatever if you don't want it, no problem. Though they keep on asking indeed, like, You really don't want something? And that's polite. though the part of being quiet, daaaamn yeah, my mom keeps asking me like ''Why are you so quiet'' and then she makes this sound ''Ugh'' afterwards because she wants me to talk.

I'm more talk active than my dad though, I talk way more than him, He always needs to ''think'' when my mom and my dad are having a conversation, especially when they are having a conflict, then my mom can get extremely pissed at him for not talking, he then says, ''Yeah, uhuh'' and then she says ''HELLO?, anyone out there?'' I don't know, it reminds me of my dad.

My girlfriend sometimes asks me on the phone, why are you so quiet? I explained to her, though i might not have explained it more carefully, I sometimes have these brain fog moments, I once was in a crowded bus, like PACKED OF PEOPLE, and they all looked at me, and then I can't express myself easily when they ''DON'T MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESSES'' by staring at me, so I get lost in the conversation. Though when it's just a bus with less people I can communicate easily when she's calling me like yesterday.

I really want to call her when It's packed again, and find out how I can just keep rambling without focussing on those people, it distracts my mental state of what I'm thinking about XD.

And mostly, it's even more weird, since nobody talks when it's so full, everybody is staring, and NOBODY wants to be in the center then, even not socially anxious people, they all want to be quiet then. So when I call, everybody will focus on me, ARGH, mind your own businesses. -__-

Gidi

This happens to me all the time when I go to my cousin house one a month they always say"Ah your quiet"

Jaysonguy

you don't need to stuff your face with cake and icecream in order to celebrate a birthday.

I'm going to disagree

Cake and ice cream is a good way to celebrate a birthday, heck it's a great way to celebrate a Tuesday lol

The main thing is they're going to someone else's birthday and if they have cake it's nice to include everyone. When you go to one of these things it's not about what you want it's about what they want. By going you're signing up for the rest of the deal.

When it's your own birthday you can have it whatever way you want.