global temperature problems

I heard that around 140,000 or so years ago the earth was 2.5C hotter than it was at the start of the industrial revolution and the sea level was 6 metres or so higher than now.

How can co2 levels back then (280ppm ?) be well below today's levels (390ppm) but the Earth much warmer ? I thought co2 makes the earth warmer. I've seen al gores video and temperature records for 650,000 years. I thought today's temp is now the hottest it has ever been for 650,000 years because of human made co2. Was the graph wrong ? Because the temperature graph on al gore's video shows temperatures are the hottest today and no where shows this things I saw on a CATALYST episode. Now I've been told the earth was 2.5c hotter 140,000 or so years ago and which is well above the 0.75C rise in temperature of today. Can anyone shed some light on this. No bias, no outbursts.

Can't shed a light on it, but you got an interesting point there ;).

Which is why I never freak out when society tells me I should, unless I completely understand why... and I just dont really get the whole global warming scare. I mean I get every single aspect of it.... I'm just not sure if it really is a big concern.

Tiercel

I think paving over our environment does more to heat things up than running our automobiles. Think about it. What retains heat longer after dark, a tree or a big chunk of concrete and asphalt? Not that all those exhaust gases are healthy, but I'm more opposed to turning everything into one big city.

As for Al Gore, I blame him for everything. I mean, he did invent it all. The internet, global warming, parental advisory labels on music. Surely he must be to blame?

:D

Ahhh. I now know why. 125,000 years ago the Earth's tilt was a little different than today and this caused the temperature to increase - not carbon dioxide.