>>>>>Getting caught out in a conversation

Leki

This is what stops me from trying to make converstaion with people, the fear of being caught out.

How do you let people find out that you don't really have any friends and never got out without them thinking you are a loser? I am really bad at lying and hate doing it too!

My favourite question: What are you doing this weekend?
A: uummm... not much
Sometimes i'm just tempted to tell the truth though, just to get a reaction. Actually on Friday night i will stay home maybe do some work probably watch TV, Saturday night same, Sunday same. Ha Ha. he other person is probably not going to stick around for long!

The answer to this is probably to actually do something right? Harder said then done though unfortuanetly.

burner21

lol. i've been in this situation a few times. i've also felt VERY awkward at times like these after i've felt i've been caught. For me, i've only done it to friends, and in all cases, letting some time pass helps everyone to forget about it and also, when i've seen them the next time, we just start talking about something else and it feels a lot less awkward.

also, i don't really go to clubs. so when people ask me where or when i go, i usually respond with "that's not really my scene" and just hope i have something else i do that makes it still interesting...that or i make up lame excuses, like "the game is on", "i dont feel good", "i have to work early tomorrow", and my all-time fave: "i'm pretty tired, i'll just chill at home"

Thelema

Never lie. Internet conversations and text conversations are easier because you just don't answer the question and easily change the subject. If you have to lie then make it very small and if they ask you a question you don't want to answer then say you don't want to talk about it

dottie

well, you should feel like an idiot. no one likes a liar. don't pretend to go out during the week if you don't. don't pretend like you frequent clubs if you rarely do. why are you so intent to mislead someone into accepting you for someone you aren't? be yourself. you owe it to yourself. it sounds corny but it's true: if she can't appreciate you for who you are then she isn't worth the trouble. there is someone else out there who will. hell, maybe if you acted like yourself and were honest she would find that interesting. after all, opposites attract.

spaz

Yeah it's hard to tell the truth sometimes. I have lied about my non-existent social life to girls because I think they would think there is something wrong me and lose interest. I've pretty much lied to anyone that has asked. But I'm going to try an stop this because the embarrassment of being caught out is worse. I gonna tell them the truth- I've got social anxiety disorder and I'm trying to deal with it. It is an illness and I can't really help it. If they run away well they aren't worth it.

miss_amy

Don't lie. All you end up doing is digging yourself in to a big hole that you end up having to dig yourself out later or make yourself look a total idiot wen you get found out.
What if you ended up really liking this girl and then having to tell her everything you told her was a lie? It wouldn't go down well and you could lose her over something so silly.

There's nothing wrong with saying something like you don't really like bars and clubs that much. You don't have to go in to your problems with people.

If they don't like you because you don't frequent the clubs then what have you lost???? A friendship that was based on a load of rubbish or a shallow person who was not worth being friends with....No huge loss is it really.

Argamemnon

spaz said:
I gonna tell them the truth- I've got social anxiety disorder and I'm trying to deal with it. It is an illness and I can't really help it. If they run away well they aren't worth it.
They will run away though, that's for certain.

Dave_McFadden

dottie said:
why are you so intent to mislead someone into accepting you for someone you aren't? be yourself.

"yourself" has SA or SP or whatever. "yourself" is a loner. You're on this website because "yourself" wants something different. I think. Maybe I'm wrong.

miss_amy said:
A friendship that was based on a load of rubbish or a shallow person who was not worth being friends with...

Sometimes a friendship based on rubbish or whatever is better than none at all. I mean, what are you going to do, decide you can't be friends with anyone on the planet because you have to be "someone different" with them?

In my case, having a real social life is "something i'm not". Does that mean I should just be content to screw around on the Internet on Friday night instead of actually making friends and doing something with them?

Sometimes being "yourself" is the problem, not the solution.

dottie

Dave_McFadden said:
dottie said:
why are you so intent to mislead someone into accepting you for someone you aren't? be yourself.

"yourself" has SA or SP or whatever. "yourself" is a loner. You're on this website because "yourself" wants something different. I think. Maybe I'm wrong.

ok, just because i'm on this site doesn't mean i am a total fraud to people in real life and pretend to be something i'm not. i don't try to convince others that i partake in things that i am not interested in. admittedly, i do have times where i have to eat shit and fake smile at work (doesn't everybody?) but i still don't lie about my interests or what makes me me.

miss_amy said:
A friendship that was based on a load of rubbish or a shallow person who was not worth being friends with...

Sometimes a friendship based on rubbish or whatever is better than none at all. I mean, what are you going to do, decide you can't be friends with anyone on the planet because you have to be "someone different" with them?

In my case, having a real social life is "something i'm not". Does that mean I should just be content to screw around on the Internet on Friday night instead of actually making friends and doing something with them?

Sometimes being "yourself" is the problem, not the solution.

sounds like you are deluding yourself. if someone likes you for something you are not are you sure they are really your friend?

dottie

IcarusUnderWater2 said:
dottie said:
sounds like you are deluding yourself. if someone likes you for something you are not are you sure they are really your friend?

In theory you are right in your approach but how many friendships could withstand the test of 'true friendship'? My guess is that it would be 1 in 10...but then again... i am a cynic! :wink:

exactly, though, quality not quantity! sorry if i seem bitchy but untuthiness bothers me hehe

shynobody

thats why ive given up talking to people lol. lies would have to be flowing out of my mouth if i would want to keep it going...but who wants that? if they dont accept me (which is most of the time :oops:) for me then screw them lol.