Getting Blood Drawn for the First Time.

LadyWench

I've never had any labs or tests done on me. EVER. I saw my psychiatrist today, and she suggested I get some blood drawn by the nurse Shirley at the Counseling Center (where I go for my therapy). She wants to check all my blood levels and whatnot. Pretty much every patient has to do it so they can make sure there's nothing physically wrong with their clients. And that makes sense. However, I haven't had it done simply because I've been way too scared.

I'm not really scared of the blood-taking. The thought of it makes me a little nervous, but I'm afraid of the results. They are going to check and see how my liver is functioning, how healthy my blood is, etc. She wanted to check for diabetes, too, but I told her I'm way too scared for that right now. I'm not ready to find out at this point (it runs in my family, and I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've obsessed over the possibility of having it. My OCD is hypochondria-based).

I'm sure most of you don't want to hear this, but I also have an extremely irregular menstrual cycle. I always have. I haven't had a period in about a year. It's always been like this. My psychiatrist wants to see why that is, though. So, when I get my blood drawn, she's also going to have it checked for thyroid problems and see what my female hormones are doing. Needless to say, I'm also terrified of THOSE results.

I've been experiencing some symptoms similar to a UTI, so she wants me to do a urine test that same day (this is all happening on Tuesday), to see if that's what's causing my symptoms. The symptoms seem to be easing up, but it wouldn't hurt to check. I'm scared of THAT, also. No surprise there, right? I'm a huge pansy.

I realize this thread is stupid, and it probably looks like I'm trying to get attention from people or something. That's really not the case, I assure you. I'd just like some opinions, any advice you guys can give, and I'd also like to know if any of you have ever had these things done. And if so, how did it go for you? Were you as scared as I am?

My psychiatrist and Shirley (the nurse who will be drawing my blood and stuff) are very optimistic about this. They keep telling me that this is a big step for me and they think I'm okay. But that it needs to be done and blah blah. I trust them both fully, I'm just incredibly afraid. I just hope that I'm worrying over nothing, like usual.

Okay, this is long and boring enough. I've you've read this far, thank you.

Last edited:

FOR REAL

Banned
this thread is not stupid at all.
diabetes runs in my family too, i think you will feel so much better once its done, cause then the "what if" is gone from your mind (it is a big step for you)
ive had that many blood tests, brainscans, xrays, broken bones n stuff, ive just got used to it.
i dont have diabetes (yet) , but for anyone that does, its not the end of the world.
i would trust your psychiatrist :)

Last edited:

Noca

Banned
Its standard procedure to test all patients blood for things like low thyriod before giving the patient any medication.

Pliny

Ooooh man, where do I start?

Well first, Diabetes runs in my family too and I'm afraid that A) I'll be getting it sooner than I would want or B) All the sweets I eat accelerate the rate I'll probably get it and I honestly going to find it hard to give that up.

Second, I COMPLETELY understand the hypochondria thing and the results.
It's not fun to link every personal problem you face to something more fatal (When something goes wrong I go on the internet to make sure It's not the symptom of something bad). I think it's normal to be afraid of the results you'll get for anyone despite whether they have hypochondria or not.

Third, I don't think it's stupid. That's what you come on here to do right? :D

LadyWench

Thanks for all of your replies, guys. I really appreciate it. My psychiatrist (Dr. Stone) said that I don't have to do the diabetes test right now. We can save that for another time when I'm more ready, because she doesn't want to completely overwhelm me right now. I have the urine test to look forward to, and all the other blood crap. I realize it's better to know than not know, but still. It isn't that easy for me, unfortunately.

Again, thanks for the support. It means a lot. :) I trust Shirley (nurse) and Dr. Stone. The good thing about all of this, is that they're both so optimistic and confident about the whole thing. They got excited when I consented to the tests. I think if they truly believed something was fatally wrong with me, they'd say so. Or they'd at least act really concerned. I don't know, I'm trying to alleviate my fears and stuff, but it's not working so good.

Blah blah blah. Long post. Hi.

Pliny

Heh. The only thing your doctor would need to make their name funny would be a d at the end. That would be enough to stop me worrying! =D

Or maybe it would be the other way around....

LadyWench

Heh. The only thing your doctor would need to make their name funny would be a d at the end. That would be enough to stop me worrying! =D

Or maybe it would be the other way around....

Haha, nice! The funny thing about your comment, is that she totally dresses like a hippie. :p I love it.

LadyWench

LOL
What a co-inky dink, that makes it even more approriate ::p:

Haha, yeah. But she's a great doctor, in my opinion. She isn't just another one of those mindless zombie doctors that really doesn't give a crap about their patients. I believe that she genuinely cares about me and my well-being. I've never felt that with any other doctor. So, it's good. I know her and Shirley will be there for me when I'm scared for the tests and everything, but still...can't shake those stupid fears. I think up the most horrible scenario, and assume it's going to happen.

I hate my brain.

Pliny

Haha, yeah. But she's a great doctor, in my opinion. She isn't just another one of those mindless zombie doctors that really doesn't give a crap about their patients. I believe that she genuinely cares about me and my well-being. I've never felt that with any other doctor. So, it's good. I know her and Shirley will be there for me when I'm scared for the tests and everything, but still...can't shake those stupid fears. I think up the most horrible scenario, and assume it's going to happen.

I hate my brain.

Alright this is starting to sound a bit scary, I go through the same things! I'm telling you! :eek:

I have these times when I wonder how much my doctor cares, well I'm not gonna go into detail since you care about your doctor. Anywho, I can relate with the whole worst case scenario thoughts too - that's one of the main reasons I'm here actually.

stand_up

It sounds like your doctor and nurse are very supportive and are going to take good care of you.

I had a similar situation to you earlier this year, where I needed the blood test, urine test and ultra sound. I feared the blood test as I was afraid of people holding sharp objects around me. I couldn't bear the anxiety so I got the blood test done as soon as possible to get it over and done with. I've had three blood tests so far this year, and each time it gets easier and easier because it's the same nurse and doctor.

The emotional and pyschological support from the nurse and doctor is very very important. It sounds like you're going to be ok the way you described them. I hope everything works out ok for you.

LadyWench

Alright this is starting to sound a bit scary, I go through the same things! I'm telling you! :eek:

I have these times when I wonder how much my doctor cares, well I'm not gonna go into detail since you care about your doctor. Anywho, I can relate with the whole worst case scenario thoughts too - that's one of the main reasons I'm here actually.

Oh, don't worry. I wouldn't mind you going into detail about the doubts you're having about your doctor. I have a long story about my ex-therapist (I actually just switched). He was a complete douche and incredibly unhelpful. I don't even know why he works there, aside from the money.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person going through these things.

And thank you, Stand_Up, I appreciate your input. I imagine the blood tests do get easier each time you do them. But like I said, this is my first time and I'm insanely scared. I'm grateful I have support of my therapist, nurse and psychiatrist, though. It really does do a lot of good. I think it'd be easier to just trade brains with someone, though. Haha.

scarletlee

I used to have a fear of blood tests but when I was pregnant I had to do a lot of scary tests. I was so worried that something would be wrong and had many sleepless nights. After the third lot of blood tests I actually got to a point where they no longer bothered me- as long as i look the other way! :) .. The relief you feel when you find out all is ok is great, you lose all that anxiety and negative thoughts about the outcome. Also remember that if they do find anything, it would most likely be something minor and easy to treat. Think of it as looking after yourself. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll be fine – remember how good you will feel afterwards :)

LadyWench

I used to have a fear of blood tests but when I was pregnant I had to do a lot of scary tests. I was so worried that something would be wrong and had many sleepless nights. After the third lot of blood tests I actually got to a point where they no longer bothered me- as long as i look the other way! :) .. The relief you feel when you find out all is ok is great, you lose all that anxiety and negative thoughts about the outcome. Also remember that if they do find anything, it would most likely be something minor and easy to treat. Think of it as looking after yourself. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll be fine – remember how good you will feel afterwards :)

Thank you! Your words are very encouraging. :) I appreciate it. And I'm sure that if things are okay and I do get that great feeling of relief, I will be thinking of you, lol.

Noca

Banned
Had my blood tested again, wasnt that bad. Didnt even feel dizzy this time. The key is to NOT look and also bring a can of pop(soda) with you to drink if you feel dizzy. Sugar is the best cure for dizziness :)

Sinar_Matahari

This is starting to worry me. I know diabetes runs in my family among other things. My granny has it and so did her sister.

Noca

Banned
This is starting to worry me. I know diabetes runs in my family among other things. My granny has it and so did her sister.

are you overweight? do you eat mcdonalds and unhealthy food daily? if not then dont worry about it.

LadyWench

Had my blood tested again, wasnt that bad. Didnt even feel dizzy this time. The key is to NOT look and also bring a can of pop(soda) with you to drink if you feel dizzy. Sugar is the best cure for dizziness :)

Why do you feel dizzy?