German,European perspective of Third Reich, Holocaust

Okay, I know this is a dark and random topic, and I don't mean to offend anyone....

I'm a history buff currently researching the rise and fall of Hitler's Third Reich and the Holocaust for an assignment. I am interested in learning about the lasting psychological and cultural effects. I would like to get Europeans' perspectives of WWll, Hitler, etc. I am especially interested in knowing how modern-day Germans feel about this topic today. So if anyone in here is from Germany, Poland, Austria, France, etc etc... and is willing to share their views I would really appreciate it.

For instance:
In your country, is it very socially acceptable to talk openly about this dark period and Hitler himself, or is it still extremely "taboo" and too touchy a subject, therefore avoided?

How personally connected do you feel to this period of time? Family? Why?

How are children, or at least how were you personally, taught about this in school? Do people study Hitler in-depth, or is it the type of thing that people just want to forget? I know this is a loaded question.

Are documentaries with footage of the Holocaust (the esp. gruesome), aired on TV regularly (as it is on the History Channel here in the US), or is it somewhat avoided because people affected by this are still sensitive to the topic?

Other general feelings/observations?

Also could you tell me how old you are?

Not expecting a lot, if any responses to this, but figured I'd give it a shot!! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ignace

We can talk about Hitler and the holocaust, but if we for example deny it's all Hitler's fault or something's lied about how it all went you can go to jail.
I'm not saying anything here, but in the Wars, every country made mistakes, not just Germany. Maybe the truth is something totally different then we think it is.
We believe what us is being told. I'm gonna say it again: I don't mean anything with it. ::p:

We can talk about Hitler and the holocaust, but if we for example deny it's all Hitler's fault or something's lied about how it all went you can go to jail.
I'm not saying anything here, but in the Wars, every country made mistakes, not just Germany. Maybe the truth is something totally different then we think it is.
We believe what us is being told. I'm gonna say it again: I don't mean anything with it. ::p:

Thanks for the response! So, just to make sure I understand, you're saying that if you voice any questions or doubts about how the history books tell you it happened, or if you blame anyone other than Hitler aloud, you can literally be put in jail? Interesting.