Friends(question)

OK so here is the deal, I have basically only one friend, at least he is the only person I talk to on any weekly basis besides my mom. This friend is always out of money, he spends it freely, and doesn't get much for school. I only have some because I get a little from loans. Well it happens that when I want to go to say a movie, I don't like going myself, or say when I go to dinner, I hate sitting alone, especially if I have to get up for the bathroom. So at times I pay for this friend so that he will come with me and give me company. I have come to the conclusion though of late that this is stupid. I am not saying he wouldn't be my friend if I stopped this, but I have shelled out some major cash over time do to my insecurities and wanting someone to come along. But at the same time, if I don't use my money we can never do anything.

The question is what are your thoughts on this? Do you have a similar situation or have had one?

dottie

next time you go out ask him to spot you. tell him you don't have the money. and it's true since you are living off of borrowed money. this just does not sit well with me. i would not buy someone to hang out with me. if this kid had any respect he would spot you back sometimes. you said he spends money freely so he has money.

He has spotted me but super rarely, and by he spends money freely, he is always in debt, so the moment he gets bad he has none, and the little he does have is uses right away without saving.

Ignace

Learn him how to manage money. I would only pay for yourself, it's not fair to you if he's using the "I don't got money" trick. He's probably old enough to know that he's taking advantage of you by letting you pay. Help him with saving money, it he doesn't start doing that, it could go wrong for him.