Forums by age

cocorose

Is there forums here for age groups? I thought it could be helpful., sometimes when I read something and think, "I can relate to that", they say "I'm 22" or a teenager and it makes me feel like crap because I have the same problems as them and I am like 10+ years older, and I get frustrated because they are so young and think they're life is over.. and I want to say, you have your whole life ahead of you, you should be lucky you're not my age and have the same problems. I didn't mean to offend anyone in any way, so I'm sorry if it sounded like I did. It was just an idea.

ImNotMyIllness

I don't think so. Those of us that are a bit older can offer our experience and perspective to those younger. I enjoy reading threads of people younger and older.
I'm around the same age range as you. I feel like I'm still 22 and my life experience is probably that of someone in their early twenties. Well, at least my mindset is!

People with SA don't age as fast. Even if the age gap is huge, we're all basically struggling with the same thing. There are people 10-20 years older than we are going through this.....An age specific forum would make me feel old. I'm already insecure about it.

Last edited:

1BlackSheep

People with SA don't age as fast. Even if the age gap is huge, we're all basically struggling with the same thing. There are people 10-20 years older than we are going through this.....An age specific forum would make me feel old. I'm already insecure about it.
Agreed! I'm in the "older" category but can relate to many of the problems being experienced by those who are much younger. SA does not discriminate with regards to age!

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I have sometimes wished we had age specific forums, but I do not think it would work.

People will respond to whatever thread is at the top of the page and not pay attention to what forum it's in. Also, historically, people seem to have a hard time posting threads to the right forum to begin with.

It doesn't even work with individual threads. There was that thread asking if thing get easier over a certain age, specifically asking only those who were actually that age, and a bazillion and three people much younger responded 'no it doesn't'.

:eek:mg:

coyote

while many of us share the same experiences and feelings regardless of age, there is, indeed a difference between someone who is 19 saying "I've spent my WHOLE life doing..." (basically meaning the last 4 years since they started paying attention to stuff, which they spent in high school), and someone who is 49 saying "I've spent my WHOLE life doing...." (meaning 30 years of adulthood, etc.) - their perspectives are really quite different.

sometimes i think it would be nice to have age-group forums, but, as Mr. Peaslee pointed out, it would be difficult to maintain without being overly exclusionary - which i feel would be antithetical to the general premise of this forum

1BlackSheep

^^ True, but I think it can help for different generations to hear things from the other's perspective. Someday they will understand - and we're never too old to learn new tricks! ;)

coyote

^^ True, but I think it can help for different generations to hear things from the other's perspective. Someday they will understand - and we're never too old to learn new tricks! ;)

yeah, i was thinking the same thing, too

that's why i'm glad that we're all able to share each other's insight

if we started excluding one another, then we'd lose something