First ever therapist consultation tomorrow

Daniel089

OK so I decided to visit a psychotherapist because of my social phobia.
I just wonder if anyone have any tips for tomorrow when I'll pay her a 1 hour visit. I think I'm going to tell her everything I can tell in the most detailed way, I'll try not to give a damn on her reactions beforehand...

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I just wonder if anyone have any tips for tomorrow when I'll pay her a 1 hour visit. I think I'm going to tell her everything I can tell in the most detailed way, I'll try not to give a damn on her reactions beforehand...

I can relate, Daniel. It'll be my first Cognitive Behavioral Therapy session tommorrow as well. You're probably as nervous as I am? I've been thinking about what I might say during my session for much of last night. I'm also thinking about doing the same during my session.

My only tip would be try and relax, take things at your own pace. Try not to rush it - you have an hour to discuss your issues. And remember your therapist is there to help you, not judge you. Hope that doesn't seem like crap advice? That's the way I'm hoping to approach my 1st session. Anyway, good luck. I hope your session goes as well.

1BlackSheep

You are both very brave! It's something I really need to do but am absolutely terrified of doing. ::(: Good luck! :)

Waybuloo

I've just met a psychotherapist for an assessment interview, the last one of three, to determine if I can qualify to be treated at their centre. I've been through a lot of therapy and if I can give you some advice:

You may be afraid to lay bare your soul but it is their job to listen and guide you. They have listened to people who have been abused, raped, depressed, your problems are not going to make them run out of the room. I have never met any therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist or psychotherapist who were daunted or disgusted by my problems.

Also don't think they are God either, if they offer you a cheap route, discuss all the pros and cons. Sometimes budget constraints create bureaucracy and they might not give you the best treatment for YOU. Is it free in Hungary?

If it is CBT they are offering, more often than not they might work through a module or step by step based, structured therapy. This may involve lots of sheets and paperwork. Personally this did not work for me but only because I don't just have SA. If your problems are just SA based then it might be beneficial. On that note you could ask the therapist if they think your problems are more profound, in which case you might need psychotherapy (in depth talking).

I take a note pad and pen to write down important things they may tell you. I also sneakily take in a voice recorder and put it in my bag so that it's discreet.

Last edited:

Qurion2

dont expect anything :3
i have a good one and he made me aware of the social neurosis which i have and becouse i know i have this kind of.... fear, i can feel better, also i try to live up to expectations... so his homework also pushes me slightly ><

razzle dazzle rose

Good luck to the both of you. It is a really big step (one I think I have to take soon). That is good advice, Graeme, that taking it at your own pace will make it less stressful. Let us know how it goes.

Daniel089

Thanks everyone, but I'm not trying any specific therapy right away, like I'm not signed in for CBT or anything, for starters I will just consult with her and try to tell all of my problems, thoughts etc, and later maybe she'll diagnose something somehow.
I think I'll be able to open up to her, there'll be 45 minutes for that...

Last edited:

Daniel089

I can relate, Daniel. It'll be my first Cognitive Behavioral Therapy session tommorrow as well. You're probably as nervous as I am? I've been thinking about what I might say during my session for much of last night. I'm also thinking about doing the same during my session.

My only tip would be try and relax, take things at your own pace. Try not to rush it - you have an hour to discuss your issues. And remember your therapist is there to help you, not judge you. Hope that doesn't seem like crap advice? That's the way I'm hoping to approach my 1st session. Anyway, good luck. I hope your session goes as well.

Thanks for the tip man, I look forward to the meeting like an opportunity to something new in my life. I'll try to be as calm as possible, same with paying attention.
Good luck for your therapy!

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Thanks for the tip man, I look forward to the meeting like an opportunity to something new in my life. I'll try to be as calm as possible, same with paying attention.
Good luck for your therapy!

My 1st therapy session went quite well today. Though, I'm unsure whether I'll make much progress, given that my physical disability is a contributing factor to my SA. But I'm trying to change my outlook - be more positive - so I guess that's a start.

MrSunday

As long as she is not a perv or on the sex offender register, then she won't bite. :/

Daniel089

My 1st therapy session went quite well today. Though, I'm unsure whether I'll make much progress, given that my physical disability is a contributing factor to my SA. But I'm trying to change my outlook - be more positive - so I guess that's a start.

That's great man! The psychiatrist called me, the meeting will be tomorrow instead of today, so I got 1 more day to prepare :)

razzle dazzle rose

That is why I hesitate to go see someone--thinking that I won't make much progress. Thoughts like that don't help of course. I really like your outlook. It is a great start. Perhaps today I will call and schedule an assessment myself.