Finding work

cocorose

I really need some help and advice. The main issue I am having right now is finding a job, and of course it's because of SA.. I have always had this problem and it is the #1 reason why my life is so messed up right now, and it's really embarrassing when I talk about it because it's something that is so simple for everyone else, and I can't even find a dumb part time, minimum wage job that a high school kid can do. I have wasted my whole life because of this, and I can't waste any more not just because I decided I don't want to but because I need a job and I can't find one, and it is getting critical because well, you need money to live. I absolutely have to find a job but 1) I have been self-employed for the last 10 or so years and I have no experience with anything, so I am applying everywhere but no one will even call me back and 2) even if someone did hire me (that is if I actually got through the interview) my SA is so bad that I don't know if I could do it. I can be as positive as I want to, and feel like I am ready and tell myself "I am gonna do this", and no matter how I feel I'm gonna be ok.. but once I get there, it's a whole other issue, when I am actually there I just can't think about anything else except how scared I am. Can someone please help. I am really to the point where I really don't know what to do. I just feel really stupid and worthless. I know some people with SA have great jobs and do fine at work, but mine is so bad.. what can I do to stop this. I feel like a total loser.

ImNotMyIllness

From previous threads, you sound very hard working. I wonder, if you would be able to go on disability, if you had to? I know many have and you do have a serious condition. I know that you want to work but if there is no money coming in, that is a solution.....Maybe temporarily until you can sort things out and find a good job.

cocorose

I don't know, I'm pretty sure that's a long process, I've heard it can take years. And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get approved anyway I think that would be my last resort .. I actually did apply years ago, but I think it was just for depression, I think that was before I even knew what social anxiety was.. and I was denied. I think it's pretty hard to get on that for mental issues, and I don't have the time to do that. Also I just finished school, they will wonder how I went to school if I have this problem?

cocorose

I would like to know, does anyone else feel like out of everyone, no one's life can be as f&cked up as theirs? I just feel so messed up because of this.. I hear of other people who suffer from this but they can still function at their job and other things, and they are somewhat 'normal'.. I just feel like a total embarrassment & failure?? Like my life is just one big mess. Am I the only one who feels this bad about their life?

Last edited:

Richey

Work on a folio while you look for work or just keep studying as you look for work. Even if its free research from turotials, it doesn't have to be a degree or a paid certificate unless you want to.

as for finding work, we're all in the same boat. the reason an employer picks up your resume could be for any reason. its just timing and luck. we don't really know what they are after, they may want someone with little experience to train (so aren't too wised up) or someone who has alot of credentials.

keep applying for a career job that you want but also try to get anything, even if its cleaning, or in the food industry. that way you are still earning a wage.

talk a career advisor who may know websites, places you can contact that aren't obvious. alot of great resources are hidden away from the obvious.

don't worry! i'm in the same situation, i also know a few people who are also looking because industries are changing, so people have to sort of change careers because supply and demand is shifting, for instance the car industry, printing industry, retail industry, manufacturing, things are changing, so people have to sort of start again with careers....

you never have to feel alone with this. it's just the nature of a commerce society. keep happy. work on your hobbies and skills everyday will make you feel way better then any job. jobs come and go but but you can still work on your hobbies and insterests, which integrate into the jobs that we end up getting.

Last edited:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
First don't forget that it is not "so simple" for everyone else, a lot, if not most of the people hate looking for jobs and going to interviews and it makes them nervous. It's just not as bad as someone who has social phobia. What I mean is just that it's normal to be anxious about it in the first place, interviews ARE stressful. Have you got some interviews or nobody called you yet? are you sending TONS of resumes? It's hard to find work when you don't have much experience and you're not doing anything at the moment. If you're not working anyway, volunteering would probably give you a good amount of credit in the eyes of employers. I sent resumes for 8 months to get my current job, just keep trying :)

mikebird

Banned
I've got a load of motivation and can't give up struggling to earn a living that I deserve, but everything has to start with "what were you doing at your last role?"

Tell me if you disagree. Every stage of getting through the brainless middlepeople to an offer of a phone interview which shows there was no interest in you from the start. That's mayhem. Who keeps you at an arm's length, and would never consider meeting because there's millions much better.
This is the bullying I never suffered at school - never before. Recruiting IS the world's ultimate bullying. The tendrils of attraction to pull any one into a FAN TAS TIC OPP POORR TUNE EE Too nituniteee to taunt you into a vague, empty test zone which has nothing to do with you and to be laughed at, so the bigwigs can continue laughing in your face. Every moment of every day is to mock you. So easy to draw us minions into a pretend stardom. huh. :moderator:

Squish the cockroach who falls into the irresistible trap. Pre-teens to billionnaires, all set to conquer the world by flattening the population

Head for the supermarket checkout, where the girls are flouting their skirts and pompoms to reveal their butts and all, while the gigilos put their muscles out of their suits, right into your face, with "ha-huh haahh" that all those products you wanted - they're all past the expiry date. Go home

This is what this employment sector have done to me. I'f never been so frustrated and defensive. They've changed me beyond recognition

I'll find it very disgusting if there isn't some kind of uprising. It's become my own real aspiration left

ex-cell-lent in-ter-purr-sun-aisling required

Last edited:

cocorose

I've got a load of motivation and can't give up struggling to earn a living that I deserve, but everything has to start with "what were you doing at your last role?"

Tell me if you disagree. Every stage of getting through the brainless middlepeople to an offer of a phone interview which shows there was no interest in you from the start. That's mayhem. Who keeps you at an arm's length, and would never consider meeting because there's millions much better.
This is the bullying I never suffered at school - never before. Recruiting IS the world's ultimate bullying. The tendrils of attraction to pull any one into a FAN TAS TIC OPP POORR TUNE EE Too nituniteee to taunt you into a vague, empty test zone which has nothing to do with you and to be laughed at, so the bigwigs can continue laughing in your face. Every moment of every day is to mock you. So easy to draw us minions into a pretend stardom. huh. :moderator:

Squish the cockroach who falls into the irresistible trap. Pre-teens to billionnaires, all set to conquer the world by flattening the population

Head for the supermarket checkout, where the girls are flouting their skirts and pompoms to reveal their butts and all, while the gigilos put their muscles out of their suits, right into your face, with "ha-huh haahh" that all those products you wanted - they're all past the expiry date. Go home

This is what this employment sector have done to me. I'f never been so frustrated and defensive. They've changed me beyond recognition

I'll find it very disgusting if there isn't some kind of uprising. It's become my own real aspiration left

ex-cell-lent in-ter-purr-sun-aisling required

You have a very animated way of writing! lol.. If you don't do this for a living, you should. :D

coyote

if you're in commuting distance to any resort-type areas, the businesses there are always looking for seasonal help - whether it's retail, waiting tables, or cleaning rooms

usually, no experience is required - they rely on college kids who are out of school for the summer, since most adults want/need year-round employment.

but a lot of businesses would prefer to hire some who is available year-round because their business season might last beyond the college summer break, and then you're the first choice if they have hours to give in the off season

even if it does only last a few months, it's still more experience to help build your resume - and it's money in the bank

cocorose

if you're in commuting distance to any resort-type areas, the businesses there are always looking for seasonal help - whether it's retail, waiting tables, or cleaning rooms

usually, no experience is required - they rely on college kids who are out of school for the summer, since most adults want/need year-round employment.

but a lot of businesses would prefer to hire some who is available year-round because their business season might last beyond the college summer break, and then you're the first choice if they have hours to give in the off season

even if it does only last a few months, it's still more experience to help build your resume - and it's money in the bank

Waiting tables??... :shyness: I really don't think I could ever do that.

My first job was cleaning rooms at a hotel about 15 years ago.. i've been cleaning houses for the past 10 years.. I'm trying to get away from that, but I'm starting to think that's the only thing anyone would hire me for.. which makes me feel even more like sh*t.

Last edited:

coyote

Waiting tables??... :shyness: I really don't think I could ever do that.

My first job was cleaning rooms at a hotel about 15 years ago.. i've been cleaning houses for the past 10 years.. I'm trying to get away from that, but I'm starting to think that's the only thing anyone would hire me for.. which makes me feel even more like sh*t.

sorry, yeah it sucks when your job makes you feel that way - but i'm envious of you for being self-employed.

i know a couple of different women who clean houses - they make a pretty decent living. i suppose it depends on the clients or the area you work in.

cocorose

sorry, yeah it sucks when your job makes you feel that way - but i'm envious of you for being self-employed.

i know a couple of different women who clean houses - they make a pretty decent living. i suppose it depends on the clients or the area you work in.

I was doing pretty good for a while.. but, it wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life, and so I ended screwing that up. If I was smart I would have realized I had a good opportunity on my hands and could have done something with it. But... :kickingmyself: