feeling that I don't have a personality

thewiz

We obviously have some sort of personality or attributes that set us aside from everyone else but does anyone else feel like they honestly don't have a personality?

I feel that I have no personality, that I don't even make an impression on someone or make them have some sort of connection with them or even hold a conversation of interest with them.

I also feel like I have several different personalities that I use with different people or friends..like I don't use one for everyone..(literally, I will act and talk differently with one person and a few minutes later, be a completely different person just to accommodate the personality of the person I am interacting with)

With some groups I am considered to be center of attention and be funny, talkative, very social and outgoing. But with other groups I turn within and just feel like I have nothing to say and that I don't even belong here or anyone even acknowledges me.

I over analyze every social situation I am in, I worry too much about keeping up a conversation and how I'm viewed by people. It's pretty frustrating and I am up to the point where I just want to talk to people without worrying about my socialness (or lack thereof).

Alot of people have pretty strong characteristics that make them stand out. Me? I feel like I have none. Which makes me want to pick up some sort of interesting hobby that could possibly shape me and give me some sort of characteristic.

Enialis227

Holy Shit. I didn't know other people felt like that too.
In Jungian terms I have always felt like a collection of Persona that I created for different people and situations, rather than a person who had any "universal" defining characteristics.
I believe that I never got to develop a true individual personality, because I was always so worried about acting in a way that the people that I was with approved of.

Well, forgot to add that this is changing now because of medication. Now I feel that I am free to express my true thoughts as they form with anybody that I am with. It feels like I do have a personality, but that only now is it able to break through the anxiety.

Last edited:

philly2bits

I've never thought I had no personality. I do notice I act different around different people though. Mainly though it's whether I am comfortable with the people I'm around or not. I think that has more to do with SA then anything else. I don't feel as though I'm putting on an "act" for some people and not others.

I feel the same. I know I have a personality, I just think that maybe it hasn't been fully developed. I also act differently around different people, but I don't feel that I'm ever being "fake," as I never do anything that goes against my nature. I guess I'm just more reserved around some people than others, and if I'm not comfortable, I'll show less of what little personality I do have.

Shift

It's weird being online and seeing people who have some of the same feelings and thoughts as I do and can relate to me...

In real life, the people I am around have these great personalities and they are outgoing and sociable and fun to be around.

And then there's me. I think I have no personality and that I'm boring.

But then, I'll be hanging out with my cousin, and I'll be silly and loud and talk a lot. Or with the twins, I am slightly more talkative.

Anomaly

Lack of desirable traits as well as the presence of them determines personality as perceived by others. I don't think you can really "lack" a personality, you can simply lack a desirable one.

limetree

Apparently we all have 4-7 sub-personalities, so it's understandable why we may feel anxious about the inconsistency of how the self is expressed. The ego is illusory though so a little adaptive fragmentation is normal. I would rather have an open-ended, partial sense of who I am than have a fixed sense of self which feels unchangeable.

It was only when I finally found a great therapist that I discovered I actually had the right to build and choose my own personality :eek:

I have that feeling all the time... and I change around other people...but I guess u do have a persona, for example u have ur own beliefs and the way u think..I think we all have one, it's just we are afraid to show it, we don't trust purselves, or we are buliding it, I have many problems with this...:)
see the picture u posted is a reflection of ur personality, what u like... the point is in getting to know ur persona and showing him off...

Gruntle

Good to see I'm not alone.
I have never found a 'defining' characteristic about myself, and when I got divorced several years ago, I have never been able to work out who I am Or what to do with my life.
I tend to cover ALL situations with humour, and I'm ruddy good at it too.
Just don't know who I really am.

thewiz

I just feel so gray I guess, I mean, my personality has got to be the dullest one out there.

Absolutely!

The idea here is that we basically over-think the social situations we are in. Each and every one of us has a personality.. I mean, after all, the way you guys type and respond to this thread shows some personality traits. Atleast for myself, even though I am aware of this I still think my personality is dull and motionless. I always wonder what people have to say about me when someone asks if they know me -- as in, what is a very memorable trait that I hold? And sometimes that's what we need to find out to understand we aren't that dull.

Just a question: How many of you feel that, when in a conversation, it seems like YOU are the only one trying to make a convo while the other person seems to be so indifferent at steering the convo?

EDIT: I've been taking a natural muscle relaxant with Valerian Root, and so far.. I feel the best I've ever felt in a long time. Not sure if anyone else has or still does, but share some other things that have helped you!

Lea

Banned
I don't know if I have personality, but I don't really care. I feel as important as plucked chicken in ASDA, sold for 2 pounds, only I am a bit bigger and still alive.

I feel the same way, even though it is impossible to not have a personality because it is just a set of characteristics that influence a person's behavior. I think I reject that I have one just because I hate who I am and I would rather not have a personality at all than have a terrible one.

Gruntle

To answer previous question: yes I feel as if I have to steer the conversation, unfortunately I can never think of anything to say, so generally stand around getting more and more uncomfortable.