feel so uncomfortable in public places?

man on the hill

does anyone else feel so uncomfortable when your out in public places like stores or restaurants, either by yourself or with somebody you know? It seems like I have been getting alot worse about it the past several years and its probably why I never get out and go anywhere in my free time when im not at work. I still live at home and my mom usually does all the grocery shopping so I almost never go out and do any of that. I dont think ive bought any clothes for myself since I was in high school about 6 years ago. Very rarely I might stop by walmart at midnight when I get off work to get something that I really need. Theres usually hardly any people in the store that late but I still feel so weird and awkward, I feel like every single person is watching me all the time and im sticking out like a sore thumb. Usually when I have to get gas for my truck I just pay at the pump with my debit card just so I dont have to go in the store. I feel like this almost everywhere I go except for work usually, but thats only because its part of my routine that ive sort of been stuck in for a while now. Im just wondering if this is part of what SA really is or is it part of something bigger thats wrong with me?

jonas89

hmmm it is definitely something to do with SA, but it really sounds like you are developing agoraphobia by going less and less out in public places.
I was like that before I started to get panic attacks in the middle the grocery's stores, gas stations and almost anywhere,

But I got over it simply by learning on how the system works or the fight and flight response and go back in public situations and challenge myself again and again and again until I got comfortable with it :)

I don't like going out into public either. I don't enjoy crowds, traffic, lineups etc. But it's not that bad. I can still go to church but I have to force myself. I go to school and meetings with clients. But I don't like it. I don't like having to dress up, but I do it. I have to. All things to do with out there except walking my dogs, is like an obligation to me, something I have to do, so I guess i need to change my attitude. I have a hard time making new friends as i just don't care. I went to a music rehearsal and it was OK but I really wasn't that comfortable. I avoid clubs, concerts, movies, anything where there are crowds.

WeirdyMcGee

I'm agoraphobic-- people terrify me; crowded spaces terrify me AND wide empty spaces do as well.

...So, yes.
haha
Public places make me extremely uncomfortable.

man on the hill

Every night on my way home from work I pass by this little donut shop in town, and almost every time that place has a bunch of local college kids in there hangin out an stuff, most of em are probably around my age I would guess, and sometimes theres a HUGE crowd of people all around the outside and standing room only inside the little store. Ive drove passed it every night during the work week for over 4 years but have NEVER stopped there to check it out. I know it would probably be a great place to maybe meet some new people and friends or even get hooked up with a girl, but I get such a bad feeling in my gut that keeps me from even slowing down to pull in the parking lot. its kinda wierd to explain, but i feel like if I was to go in there by myself with a bunch of people already there that I would just either be singled out by everyone there and probably do something stupid or embarrassing.