Fear of falling down?

CillaHasBrainActivity

Hello. Um, so I have this thing. I have really bad anxiety and agoraphobia. I get this feeling that I'm going to fall, but never do. That probably sounds so weird. But I get really scared if there's nothing around to lean against. Especially when I'm outside, I get this rush of, I don't know, adrenaline to my head and I feel wobbly on my feet suddenly as if I'm about to fall.
It's really stupid but also really debilitating.
I was wondering if anyone else has experience with this?

MMGiru

This is likely... not even remotely helpful, but I'm often not sufficiently hydrated, because that's more self-maintenance than I'm typically inclined towards. As a result, on standing, not enough water gets to my head. I then lose feeling in my limbs, and my vision tunnels or blackens completely. I'm always lucid throughout, and can usually still control my limbs. With not being able to feel them or see what's ahead though, walking is not best performed at that time.

A fear of falling at any given moment is not something I have any useful thoughts about, but I am a smidge agoraphobic myself. We did have a rescued greyhound living with us at one point, who tried to go after a cat on first sight. He slashed at her in surprise that someone did not love him, and she was unused to linoleum. From that point on, she would lean against a wall whenever she saw a cat.

I'm sure there's some way in which that story was not insensitive.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Have you ever talked to a professional about that? Because even though it could be mental, it could also be a medical condition, like low blood pressure, or something else. I knew a girl who had this weird condition, I don't remember what it was called, but she felt like the floor was moving all the time so she would lose her balance a lot. :p

jaim38

I have a fear of heights and that's the feeling that I get when I am standing on high ground with only railings for support. But I also get this feeling when I wake up in the morning and my body feels dead tired. I walk kinda weird and wobbly, like I am drunk but I really am not. My mind is perfectly aware but my body feels wobbly and tired. But after I drink coffee or exercise, my body starts to "wake up" more. I think being agoraphobic, we don't get much sunlight so body feels kinda sleepy.

MMGiru

While it's worth pointing out that psychological and neurological issues are in fact physical, I would think that something like low blood sugar -- an issue I become alerted to when I start shaking and get dizzy -- or inner ear difficulties, or whatever else, would be a good deal less ambiguous. To me, that'd be comforting; to know it's not something that some portion of my brain will want to blame on me.

I mean, unless you're American, and lacking in health insurance. Given you're posting at this hour, in English, and happen to be an agoraphobic, I could see where this would potentially be an issue.

CillaHasBrainActivity

No, I don't have health insurance. I'm also a college student, so that drains my money. I go to campus on Tuesdays and Thursdays. And wow, tomorrow is Thursday! Would you look at that. *Breathes into a bag*

coyote

you could wear a bike helmet - that would protect you from any head injuries

they sell them at wal-mart for like $20

mismeek

that feeling of falling may be you getting ready to faint?

could also just be your body trying to curl up and make itself small.. a defensive mech when someone is in fight/flight mode.