Family Problems

x000x

I'd like to hear any problems any of you have with your family. Any types of problems at all. I have quite a few (they might seem minor to some).

I'll start. I went to visit my grandparents for the weekend, they live about 12 hours from me, and the whole time I was there my grandfather tried to convince me that I didn't have any mental illness at all and told me how I was wasting my parents money because I'm not doing well in school, how I'm causing my dad stress because of my illness (which I don't have according to him), constantly picking at my ethical reasons for being a vegan, and just trying to force me to think his way in general. My dad does this as well on a daily basis, so I tend to go stay at friends' houses often to avoid being around my parents.

I'd really like to hear about issues everyone else is dealing with or has dealt with as well.

EscapeArtist

Wow...that sounds like absolute hell. I would NOT be able to contain myself in such a situation.

Well, my mom has a huge control issue. I'm trying to heal by not being so cautious, and mainly trying to avoid the fear of mistakes. It's hard when i'm expressing my hope for my future, and she's spewing things like "BUT you still need a job! You need to go to college! You could be wasting your money on that! You can't trust everybody! You don't know that any of those people can relate to you, don't do that! You haven't taken your driver's test yet? What about college!"
I could go on a lot more, but it's too sunny out at the moment. Get back to ya when it gets dark and less welcoming, lol

I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

It's probably the generation gap. In his time there probably weren't too many documented mental illnesses. So in his mind mental illnesses might not even exist, and so hears it as random gibberish. He's in a mentality-rut if you will. Instead of adjusting to new discoveries like this, he might reject them and recognize it as a lame excuse.

I'd say ignore it. You know what you have, and how serious it is. ;)

x000x

My parents are kind of like that. Always trying to force me into doing what they want. And so far they've worn me down almost every time and I do what they say and now I'm miserable and not well.

Another thing that made me not want to go see my grandpa again is when he started saying negative things about my long distance relationship with this girl. I've been with her for a few months now. My grandpa started saying how I need to find a real girl that's near me that I can see, then said "But I won't force you into anything because I talked to you about that months ago and said I wouldn't force anything on you"... then he continued on for the next three days telling me how my relationship isn't healthy or as good as a real one. He didn't ask me once, until the last day, if I was going to visit her, which I am in few months hopefully. That's what upset me the most. He said many other things, but those were the main things.

x000x

I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

It's probably the generation gap. In his time there probably weren't too many documented mental illnesses. So in his mind mental illnesses might not even exist, and so hears it as random gibberish. He's in a mentality-rut if you will. Instead of adjusting to new discoveries like this, he might reject them and recognize it as a lame excuse.

I'd say ignore it. You know what you have, and how serious it is. ;)

He's a psychologist and tried to tell me a bunch of stuff about some theory that explains away mental illness basically. He always has to include something about his knowledge of psychology in everything he tries to talk to me about or anything about my life he thinks isn't "healthy".

agoraphobickatie

i'm really really lucky that both of my parents are really understanding and supportive.. one of the biggest problems right now is money :( i used to be able to have a job and pay my own bills, but since i had to move in with my dad and quit work, he has to pay for everything, and he gets really frustrated with my mom because she "doesn't have the money" to help out... so he pays my $290 car insurance, $272 car payment and $60 phone bill.. and now i have a $230 car tag payment due since my birthday just passed.. wtf is up with that stupid expensive ass little sticker to go on my car tag! UGH! so sometimes he kind of pressures me about getting a job soon, which completely freaks me out! =/ i know he doesn't mean to pressure me or anything.. it's just really scary to think about getting a job with my agoraphobia/anxiety.. it's almost impossible for me to think that i could actually do it :(

apart from that.. my mom's an alcoholic and has panic attacks, too... and my sister is on meth and is stupid as hell and has a 6 year old daughter! great times! ha! i've learned to just block out my sister's issues and my mom's alcoholism.. there's nothing i can do about it, so i just can't let myself worry about it too often...

Danedo

My issues with my family, as far as I am concerned, is simply being boring to them; as the only person with the worst social skills and anxiety, I feel I bore all of them to tears.

When my mom calls, all I have to talk about is my job I hate and the weather. Bless her, I don't know why she keeps calling me haha :)

I get jealous when I see other families; some people are even facebook friends with their parents, and can joke around with them. Not with us.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I suggest you not to talk with your family about personal things. If they are that close minded, it's better to talk as less as possible, because they will end up judging everything in a negative way. Try to ignore them if they come up with critiques. It's your life, and what you do is non of their business.

x000x

I suggest you not to talk with your family about personal things. If they are that close minded, it's better to talk as less as possible, because they will end up judging everything in a negative way. Try to ignore them if they come up with critiques. It's your life, and what you do is non of their business.

I think that's very good advice. I try to do that as much as I can. It just didn't happen with my grandpa because most of what he wanted to talk about was my life. When we were driving home from lunch on the last day he said the reason I'm bored with all the things I used to like doing so much is because I'm a boring person. That got me down.

boosh

My parents hardly listen to a word i say. i know this may sound like angsty teenager talk, lol, but they generally don't. apparently the internet is what has caused my social phobia and 'everyone is shy', i just need to try harder to make friends, and i have to 'read about something' so i can make conversation with people - the solutions to my problems apparently
icon_rolleyes.gif

x000x

My parents hardly listen to a word i say. i know this may sound like angsty teenager talk, lol, but they generally don't. apparently the internet is what has caused my social phobia and 'everyone is shy', i just need to try harder to make friends, and i have to 'read about something' so i can make conversation with people - the solutions to my problems apparently
icon_rolleyes.gif

Lot's of people, including my family, blame the internet and cell phones (especially texting) for everything. It upsets me that they put the blame on those things.

boosh

Lot's of people, including my family, blame the internet and cell phones (especially texting) for everything. It upsets me that they put the blame on those things.
yeah, it's an easy thing to put the blame on. without the internet, i don't know what would have happened to me...