Facing Your Fears: Go Back To School?

voodoochild16

So as we all try this, I wanted to take some time off to recover from SA, not knowing the circumstances were, but with still alot of discoveries and progress made. I wanted to do all this within the time period of a year, or a little more if need, to get the *basics* down to get along with people, socialize and interact with people at school. Eye contact, keeping a conversation, speaking clearly, was the main focus.

I still always feel pushed into going back to school sooner, but I did that before when my anxiety was severe and it only made it worse, I was forced to drop out, same with trying to go to a local community college to finish my grade 12, then a different school and just not being motivated enough to keep showing up and handing in work, or staying in and doing the work, the anxiety was bad enough. So that same school is where I want to go back to graduate, but I am unsure if that's a good idea, by this coming September. So my question is basically, should I keep going after Sept if I think I'm not ready? or keep going a little bit more if needed.

I have the support from my parents, but I always still have that urge, but I don't want to have to drop out again for the 4th time. I have a full time job right now so I have alot of exposure therapy on a routine, I can practice anything, and I listen to the audio series "Overcoming Social Anxiety: Step By Step" and I see a therapist weekly.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I'd just go into it with the mindset that it's an expedition: the goal is to gather experience and information.

If things turn-out optimally and you happen to have fun on the trip, that's a bonus.

If not, that's fine. If things become so perilous that you're forced to abort, there's no shame in that. You will have gained valuable data for future travels and that was the real goal, anyway.

I';d go back. finish it! its important! I'm barely going to school.. i have a year and a couple month more to go.. and today i have a bunch to study and im anxious.. but im gonna do it:p u inspired me:p

iamthenra

Heck I am 41 years old, and if I can go back to school and get a nursing degree being a guy and all.... Anyone can go back to school!!!!
icon_207.gif

voodoochild16

Thanks for your input guys. I think I'm a little more focused now despite the ongoing struggle everyday of fearing the future etc. I talked to a couple people, so I'll just keep going and by this September I'll see if I'm ready. It's definitely never easier said than done.

206Raider

Yep I'm going back to school in 2 weeks. I haven't for awhile and I'm anxious about it, I feel I can do it though, the only thing I'm really worried about is presentations. I hate them.