Eye contact fault

cobalt_bluester

Hi. I have this weird eye contact problem and wondered if anyone can relate...

I can't seem to see both eyes at the same time!! I look into one eye and can see the other eye in my peripheral vision but not very clearly at all and it really bothers and stresses me out! When I look at a face I don't really see it very naturally I am am aware that my eyes under normal circumstances should scan and move automatically, but because I am aware of this they don't anymore. When I look at someone I am always thinking about my eye movements and thinking about what eye to look at and for long long etc, it's kind of like an obsessesion I suppose.

This problem has gotten so bad that I now avoid eye contact altogether, especially when walking past people or going into shops. When I do make eye contact I feel really stressed and overwhelmed. I just wondered does anyone else have a similar problem, and if so how could I try and overcome it because everything I try has failed so far.

Lacombe

I can relate totally. I only focus on one eye, then I may shift to the other as a token gesture of normalcy. If I'm telling a story, I cannot even make eye contact, I look at an imaginary person to the side. I avoid eye contact as much as possible, it's just too much hard work. Sometimes I'll really make the effort and give long solid eye contact but then I get to the stage where I think 'Is this normal to have maintained eye contact so long? Am I freaking this person out? When's the right time to look away?' Wtf, this shouldn't be so hard.

laure15

I have the same problem too but still haven't overcome it. Sometimes I come off as staring at people and it freaks them out. I have learnt to blur my vision so that my eye contact isn't as intense, but I probably look like a druggie for doing this. I don't want to sacrifice my awareness just to make "acceptable" eye contact. There's gotta be a better way.

rosewood

I was told by an acquaintance to look at the spot between the two eyes on the bridge of the nose. it is supposed to look exactly as though you are making regular eye contact. hope this might help.

Nutbar

I have the same problem. Lately I have made an effort to make eye contact but I really can't do it. Thanks for sharing. It helps to know I'm not the only one.:)

cobalt_bluester

I can relate totally. I only focus on one eye, then I may shift to the other as a token gesture of normalcy. If I'm telling a story, I cannot even make eye contact, I look at an imaginary person to the side. I avoid eye contact as much as possible, it's just too much hard work. Sometimes I'll really make the effort and give long solid eye contact but then I get to the stage where I think 'Is this normal to have maintained eye contact so long? Am I freaking this person out? When's the right time to look away?' Wtf, this shouldn't be so hard.

Hi. Do you find that you have to think about which eye to look at? I do all the time and it really stresses me out!! It shouldn't be so hard and it's crazy that it is but because we are thinking about the process it has messed with our minds.

cobalt_bluester

I have the same problem. Lately I have made an effort to make eye contact but I really can't do it. Thanks for sharing. It helps to know I'm not the only one.:)

How long have to had this problem for, I've had it for as long as I can remember. It all came about because I became aware of my eye movements and started to ****yze them and overthink them! It's crazy I know, but once I got this thought I had no way of stopping it!! I am deeply depressed and stressed out because of it and it's ruining my life, I can't even get a job even though I try so hard to! How has it affected your life so far, I hope you are dealing with it better than me.

cobalt_bluester

I was told by an acquaintance to look at the spot between the two eyes on the bridge of the nose. it is supposed to look exactly as though you are making regular eye contact. hope this might help.

Hi. I have tried this but my peripheral vision is constantly 'pulling' my eyes towards making eye contact, and I just cannot do this comfortably however hard I try. Perhaps I need to persist with this more I really don't know, feels like I am doomed to a life with this problem. I find that if I am not careful my gaze is way too intense and people can pick up on this easily, so I tend to avoid eye contact altogether or only make it very briefly as I feel I am giving off bad vibes even though I'm really quite a nice person!

mariospap

I look both eyes, some time the one, some time the other. But sometimes I am getting lost, and in my mind comes the anatomy of eye, and totally stop hearing what my partner is saying. Very weird.

What I find strange is when your looking at someone and theyre sitting to the side and the eye furtherest away becomes glassy and you start giving eachother weird looks.

cobalt_bluester

What I find strange is when your looking at someone and theyre sitting to the side and the eye furtherest away becomes glassy and you start giving eachother weird looks.
I find that I just can't see both eyes simultaneously. When looking at one eye I can kind of see the other eye but not clearly it really bugs the hell out of me!

laure15

I don't know if I'll ever get over this. People say you're not supposed to think about eye contact when you make eye contact but I can't help but think a lot about it! The last time I went to starbucks with a couple of people we sat on a side table near the window and I end up glancing repeatedly at some dude outside the window and he pointed me out! I don't know what's wrong with me. It's like my peripheral vision is out of whack or something. It could also be hypervigilance.

This is why I want to trade contacts for glasses. Hopefully, the glasses act as a "barrier" to the outside world so that I don't feel as threatened.