Extremely Painful Pap Smear?

FriendlyShadow

So, today I had to endure one of the most painful, unpleasant experiences I have ever gone through in my life. I went to the doctors to have a cervical exam on me done. I tried my best to stay as calm as possible since I knew this was my first time getting a pap smear. They went over the procedure with me step by step. I also kinda warned them that I'm pretty tight "down there" so that if they inserted the speculum in me, I'd probably be hurting a lot. They did reassure that they'd use a small speculum and that if some point during the procedure I felt uncomfortable or wanted them to stop, they'd be okay with it. After that, I was undressed, layed down on the bed and waited for them to insert the speculum in my down there.

As soon as I saw the tools they were gonna insert me with, I began feeling a bit uneasy. I covered my mouth with my hand as the doctor was sliding the speculum into my "opening". For the first few seconds, I thought I was gonna be able to tolerate the pain. But my doctor just kept pushing and pushing farther deep in me. It was almost like the pain was gradually becoming more and more intense the further she went in. At this point, I was groaning to myself, trying to fight through it. She kept telling me to relax all my muscles and take deep breaths. The pain though was... excruciating. I felt like I was literally being torn open down there. The pain itself was more of a weird, burning sensation which was almost unbearable. The worst part though was when she pulled out the speculum. :eek:mg: I was shaking the whole time, like my body was just completely in shock by the pain.

I was desperately hoping that after a few seconds she would've pulled the damn thing out of me by now, but she still pushed harder telling me "Okay, I'm almost in." I could't bear the pain anymore and had to tell her to stop. We tried at least two more times and I literally ended up bawling my eyes out because it hurt that much! I tried so hard to stay relaxed but it was that burning sensation that made everything so difficult. I felt as though I was being stabbed with a long *** needle! I mean, I've been through a lot of physical pain in my life, but nowhere near as bad as this. My doctor is expecting for me to take another pap smear test soon. I just don't know if I'll be able to go through it again after what just happened today. Is it normal for a pap smear to be this painful if it's your first time? Also. what can I do next time that might help make the situation less stressful?

LoyalXenite

I've never gone for one (I know, I know, its important and I should go) the thought of them stresses me out too much. I only go to the doctors when Im utterly desperate (aka dying). But Im pretty sure its not meant to hurt, at least i've always been told its just a bit awkward and uncomfortable, noone ever mentions any pain with it. Did you tell your doc how much it was hurting you?

Nope, it is definitely not meant to cause excruciating pain, FriendlyShadow.
It certainly feels very uncomfortable, and you feel a lot of "pressure" internally - but not unbearable pain!

Some doctors at better at the procedure than others!

It sounds like your doctor is just really incompetent with performing pap smears.

Could you try getting it done with a different doctor?

edit; Geez, I just noticed that an ad appeared under my post - for a pap smear! wtf

Last edited:

Sacrament

I agree that you should see if you can do it with a different doctor next time, maybe someone more empathetic. Maybe you could also take some music with you to help you relax?

FriendlyShadow

I've tried explaining to her about the burning sensation I was feeling down there... she said that was completely normal since it's my first time and that it's only natural for my body to reject it. But then she went on also saying that I was feeling anxious throughout the whole procedure. She said she would've almost got the speculum in if I didn't clench my legs in at that last second.

The pain was just so intense though! I mean, I was only expecting maybe a bit of discomfort or a mild pinch, but when she kept on pushing the speculum deep inside me, the burning just kept getting worse and worse. I swear I felt like like I was gonna explode right after she pulled the speculum out. I was crying for about for minute or so. I don't know if the lubricant had anything to do with it. I was actually surprised to read that most girls didn't find their pap tests to be painful at all! They say it's supposed to be quick too but mine felt like it went on longer than it was supposed to. but I can't handle that kind of pain. That's like trying to get someone to put their hand on a hot stove. There's just no way.