Extreme boredom with Resperdal

Moses199

I've been taking Risperdal for 1 month now with no success yet. In the last 2 weeks I got a new side effect that is extreme boredom.

This side effect make everything excruciatingly boring, in turn making me depressed. It hard to bare and I don't want it to become permanent. Therefore should i quit taking Risperdal? Also will the boredom side effect go away if keep taking it

Last edited:

Moses199

I've been very bored for the past few years, well before i started taking resperidone. It's slowly getting better.

What caused it to get better?
Also how did extreme boredom start for you or was it something you always had?

Please reply I really don't know what do with this I'm contemplating suicide can't live like this. I stopped the meds, hopefully this side effect isn't permanent.

I think just time caused it to get better. And over time, you get ideas, try little things, which helps your boredom a little.

The extreme boredom may have begun when i had kind of a nervous breakdown. I was depressed, suffering severely from toxic mold (so had breathing difficulties), went to hospital, then a respite place. But then i got stressed there, couldn't sleep, on a new medication - so i asked to go back home, which is when my hallucinations started (i believed there were people stalking my house with a gun, talking, walking around, clicking the gun chamber), so i rang the police a few times, in fear for my life, ran up the road to a house, police fetched me from there, and i ended up in a mental hospital for a week or so. After that, i definitely had extreme boredom. There was absolutely nothing i was interested in doing. And staying in bed made me more depressed.

What i do now when i'm bored, is usually:
- Drink alcohol (shifts the mood)
+ Crisps/crackers/chocolate/etc junk food
+ Play games on the computer (eg tetris)
+ Play music on youtube (eg heavy metal, doom metal, hard rock)
- I also go outside a few times (or at least once) & walk around, clocking up steps on my pedometer (watch); when it's warm & fine is when i usually do this (& when i'm bored)

It's still very much a work in progress, dealing with my boredom (& other difficult moods). I'm trying to read a little bit, but i haven't got much patience/interest, but i'm trying.

Moses199

Kinda same with me it's just came on via med side effect. I hope it goes away now that i stopped the meds. What meds helped with this boredom?

lily

it's interesting how you said meds caused you boredom but anything is possible. i don't think there are any meds that'll help take away the boredom without side effects but there might be one for you. you can talk to your doctor. do you still have the boredom? if so, it's good to have some ideas for you to do things

Last edited:

Moses199

it's interesting how you said meds caused you boredom but anything is possible. i don't think there are any meds that'll help take away the boredom without side effects but there might be one for you. do you still have the boredom? if so, it's good to have some ideas for you to do things
Yes the meds caused it but idk if it's a permanent effect as it's my 2nd day off the medication.

Maybe my meds i've taken for quite many years have contributed to my boredom, i'd say it's possible. But if i go off them i get worse, so what can i do about the boredom. Get a life? That's a BIG ask for me. I just keep hanging on, & keep busy (doing nothing really). I have many answers, but few solutions.

Last edited:

lily

My medication i've noticed causes a heavy feeling that i would feel heavier even now that i've tried to lower the dosage and it would therefore cause me to feel unmotivated for things but now that I'm on a lower dosage i think i can do more.

grapevine

Yeah russell takes this by injection each fortnight but now every three weeks. I see a complete change in him leading up to before he gets it to the afterwards and he's serious and anxious and grumpy before and then calm and clown like all funny making jokes etc and relaxed afterwards. It's a strong anti psychotic.

But he has big issues with boredom too and lack of concentration, energy plus sleeping very long hours - going to bed at 7:30 rather than 10:30 like most people.

Ginseng is supposed to be really good for concentration and did work on russell , tho he has issues with upkeep of new habits. Also drink lots of water, flax seed oil or hempseed oil or fish oil - they can help. You should try to flood your body with good quality minerals and trace minerals from either a multi vitamin or even better by juicing fruits and veggies. That might sound extreme but it certainly has helped with my concentration, anxiety, energy, and helped me gain enthusiasm a little. Juicing is like my religion and I feel it when I'm not doing it. It feeds your body and you feel fantastic.
I'm not not on any antipsychotic nor do I have those issues , but I do have anxiety and sp. these things help me , they may help you?

But he has big issues with boredom too and lack of concentration, energy plus sleeping very long hours - going to bed at 7:30 rather than 10:30 like most people

This is how i am at present. I try to stay in bed as long as possible (usu ~10.30 am i get up - so that's 15 hrs in bed, mainly asleep), which means i only have 8 or 9 hrs to fill; but by 2 or 3 hrs i've run out of things to do (that i want to do).

Last edited:

grapevine

Its funny cause rugs - Russell's way of fixing his boredom issue is to be around people. But he becomes dependent on it and quite interfering too because he doesnt know how else to fill that bored feeling.

Risperdal is a strong drug and has its side effects.

When I read about boredom, what it is- its feelings of apathy and disinterest in something or anything and not being able to find some excitement and interest/passion in things. The way to get interested and passionate about things is to find things you like and picture some goal achieved from that, that makes you get a little excited. I think sometimes its also having the energy to even be able to get your mind into something. Thats where I think ginseng is really helpful and omega fatty acids. Even nootropics - which is kind of like Ritalin but using amino acids to gain concentration - what all the college students use these days. Sometimes even if you have some mental energy, there can also be a disbelief in your self- a blockage that prevents you from doing things you may perhaps like to do. Social phobia is def one for me, has been.

I guess you just gotta believe in yourself and find the energy to approach some goal that could make you feel happier and you could get into more. Whether it be gaming or wanting to be a politician lol. Just trying new things, getting out and finding what ticks your emotional box.

Im kinda the opposite. I get too intense each day with goals I set or things I gotta do , even if they dont really matter that much - ill make a huge deal that I work my way into the ground with anxiety and time pressure even if its non-important things and find it very hard to wind down. When I have gotten bored, its when Im not anxious and thats not that often lol.