Exposure therapy

thursdays_child

One time I was going to be put into a program that did that, but I told the therapist straight out that there was no way I could do the things they'd require me to do.

daniel_monster

what do they do? the only thing I know is it's called "exposure therapy" so I assume I'm gonna be exposed to something

Shift

I think it's mostly you forcing yourself to go into social situations and doing things that you would normally would avoid until you get used to them. You start off with things that only make you a little bit anxious and then work your way onto harder things. I think.

Square_Eyes

what do they do? the only thing I know is it's called "exposure therapy" so I assume I'm gonna be exposed to something

I was watching someone's social anxiety vlog on YouTube once and they said one of the tasks they were assigned was to stand at the entrance of a supermarket and ask random strangers where the supermarket was. Needless to say, I wont be venturing down the exposure route any time soon.

I was watching someone's social anxiety vlog on YouTube once and they said one of the tasks they were assigned was to stand at the entrance of a supermarket and ask random strangers where the supermarket was. Needless to say, I wont be venturing down the exposure route any time soon.

SWEET HEART OF JESUS!!!
I'd probably do it if it wasn't a local supermarket - does it hav to be local?
Though i have accidentally asked where the Spire (huge spike in Dublin, which you can see all over the city) was, when it was right infront of me!

Square_Eyes

SWEET HEART OF JESUS!!!
I'd probably do it if it wasn't a local supermarket - does it hav to be local?

I don't think the location is all that important but the general idea of the treatment is to invite yourself to become anxious and journey outside of your comfort zone. So really, by choosing a space that you feel more comfortable in, I guess you'd only be reducing the effectiveness of the treatment. Pretty brutal stuff.

I don't think the location is all that important but the general idea of the treatment is to invite yourself to become anxious and journey outside of your comfort zone. So really, by choosing a space that you feel more comfortable in, I guess you'd only be reducing the effectiveness of the treatment. Pretty brutal stuff.

Oh God. Though it does seem like it'd be kinda . . . . fun . . . . But REALLY terrifying!

Mermaid~81

Yeah, one mental health nurse quite a few years ago (none of them have ever been any help) didnt understand a thing! She found out that i dont like getting on buses that have many people on them (a they're all looking at me kinda thing) and she made me walk from my house to the bus stop, get the bus into town and wait for her there, stessed me, i can do it when i force myself, didnt help mind! I have had jobs where im around a lot of people in care work for example, i had to get the bus everday, still i stress waiting for them then getting on. Though its not so much if im with someone else, its if im on my own. And thats not just about buses, basically doing anything that draws attention to myself, walking in a crowded place, party etc.

cure

A doctor told me to do that for my blushing problem and that it would get better after 1 year but I just can't do it.

If it was guaranteed to work I would do it.

workout

Standing at the entrance of the supermarket and asking for its location is stupid and even the therapist would be apprehensive of doing that. Some of these therapists are really crazy, they just don't understand you. My therapist told me to go and buy Lays potato chips right in the middle of counseling in his clinic, and distribute it to everybody present in the clinic! How insane is that! A better option would have been to tell me to offer something to guests that come over to visit my parents at home. That would have been a slow start, and a sensible one! Shock treatment never works. Unfortunately my therapist thought I might stop coming to him and he didn't take the issue any further. But I need some of that, the only thing is that I don't want to do something that will embarrass me.

Claudius

If only it were that simple that forcing yourself to go to places where you have panic attacks and put up with them, would cure you and they'd go away after a while. That would be easy.
Fact is it won't cure you and you'll just have panic attacks every time you go there, and the symptoms will never get any better.

LadyWench

I've heard that it can be pretty effective with some people, and that's great. I don't think it would be of much use for me, though. Probably about 98% of my panic attacks are caused by my thoughts (OCD). I am constantly worrying about my health, and will conjure up things in my mind and start panicking over them. I think I'm pretty much exposed to my triggers since they are in my head. And I can't seem to escape them. Good times.

Remus

Staff member
If only it were that simple that forcing yourself to go to places where you have panic attacks and put up with them, would cure you and they'd go away after a while. That would be easy.
Fact is it won't cure you and you'll just have panic attacks every time you go there, and the symptoms will never get any better.

Hmmm took time but it worked for me eventually, it's far from simple, takes dedication and courage, I was ready to give up a few times but thats exactly whay Mr Panic wants you to do.

Kustamogen

Banned
Ive tried exposure/desensitization therapy with 4 different therapists over the last decade....so far it obviously hasnt worked for me.....I see the principle behind it and understand how it can work for some people....logically it should work but anxiety is too illogical for it to work for everyone I guess.

sullyS1985

Has anyone done this and do they do? My therapist says he's gonna use this and it scares the hell out of me.

Exposure is supposed to be the best way to face your anxiety but you cant just expose yourself and expect results. It is recommended that you take a journal after exposure and write down your thoughts while you are in the moment or directly after. Then you analyze those thoughts and realize what may have been a legit belief, what was irrational and how you can change the irrational thoughts to better ones. In my opinion you have to have the right attitude going into the social events that will involve your exposure. If you go into it thinking you are going to hate it or that you are gonna have a bad time, the chances are this will be a self fullfilling prophecy. If you go into the exposure with an open mind and document what you didnt like, change is definitely possible.

Mikaa

Exposure therapy, in my experience with it, is doing really stupid and silly things to prove to yourself that if you can do something like stand at the supermarket door and ask where the supermarket is with anxiety and get through it, then the other things in life wont seem so hard. My doctor suggested that I go into the middle of a crowded restaurant and purposefully spill my drink all over myself then look around and see peoples reactions which he said would not be as negative as I would think. I really think professionals just use exposure therapy so they can enjoy watching the stupidity. Although I have also heard of it where it's not like that. Like walking into a crowded room one day, then walking in and sitting down for 5 minutes the next, then 10 mins the next day, ect., My doctor also suggested that I call a local pizza place and ask how much their steak was. My doctor actually did himself. I made him go first..I never did do it :D