Exact same environment, half time scared half time normal self?

sahxox

My social phobia is getting better.
Maybe it's not my social phobia disappearing, but I am able to be myself for a portion of the day... however I can experience the crippling state of my phobia worse as ever for the other segments of the same day, in the exact same environment around the exact same people.
I am getting better at accepting myself... realising I'm not an alien just because I have social phobia, and allowing myself to gradually become the friendly caring person I am aside from this. However sometimes if I think about something before doing it, instead of just doing what needs to be done, these old ghosts take over and I become scared/emotional/anxious. To the point of becoming upset unnecessarily. It's like I turn into a little child again, and I am having trouble taming it.
My question is does anyone else here feel capable of having 'normal' days, but symptoms of social phobia can return at the drop of a hat? It is uncomfortable knowing your phobia can return instantly.

Yes it can return (as it did yesterday when a particular situation presented itself that would have involved performing in front of others), and it left me feeling inferior, stupid and defective. But I'm not wasting time being hard on myself, so I'm over it today

Kiwong

Yes, there are safe environments where my anxiety doesn't register. My anxieties are very situation specific. There are triggers for my anxiety, and it doesn't appear out of the blue. I know the people and situations who will affect my anxiety and I try to avoid them.

Last edited:

sahxox

Yes, there are safe environments where my anxiety doesn't register. My anxieties are very situation specific. There are triggers for my anxiety, and it doesn't appear out of the blue. I know the people and situations who will affect my anxiety and I try to avoid them.

I used to have specifics, but now it's like I can do everything and can't do everything. :idontknow: rollercoaster