Ever met someone who inspired you?

I recently met someone who inspired me.

He runs a horse ranch in New Mexico and does equine therapy for troubled young men. They are on drugs or in gangs and have serious behavioral and emotional problems.

Gradually, through hard work and introduction to the horses, they open up and learn to trust. He spoke fondly of the young men, and how they'd been able to turn their lives around, finish school, and get off drugs. They keep in touch with him and tell him how they've gone on to college, the military or gotten married.

It was touching to hear him talk about it. He was so humble and open. It's rare to meet someone like that. It must be very rewarding work.

Ever met someone in your life who's inspired you?

agoraphobickatie

absolutely.. i can't even name them all.. many people inspire me in different ways. one that people might know would be captain phil harris from the discovery channel show 'deadliest catch'.. he passed away earlier this year and i never got the chance to meet him =/ however, i'm a huge fan of the show and that guy was truly one of a kind. people like him are extremely rare. people who are real, honest, hard working, who play just as hard... he was freakin' awesome :) i've talked to one of his sons a few times, and he's almost as badass as his dad :D

nopark

There's one guy I know in particular who's inspired me. He's about my age. He's just so hard working and down to earth, I feel like he puts me to shame in comparison. He's not a celebrity and he isn't a remarkable philanthropist, but I feel like he's an example of someone I'd like to be some day, and that is inspiring.

I think it's "regular joe's" like him that are most inspiring to me.

Mokkat

This is an alternative one :) :
I've not quite met him, but recently I've been watching commentated replays of Starcraft 2 online. There's this one guy with the nickname "Day9" who has a streamed show every other day, in which he discusses games and strategies and such, but also his lifestyle of being a nerd. He is so positive about being a gamer, and constantly talks about the fantastic people he meets when he goes to tournaments/events/lanparties.

Though playing games have been a big deal all of my life, I've been down in a hole lately and not even in the mood for games - but this guy has make me feel good about being a gamer/nerd again. I've always been a little ashamed and reluctant to tell people about that side of me, but i don't really get that feeling any more :D

The big games convention Gamescon is being hosted in Köln in the next week - he has been hired to be the commentator for the big Intel SC2 tournament there, and Im seriously considering loaning one of my parent' cars to drive down to meet him and check out the convention