Ever catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror

ljwwriter

And wonder how on earth you could look the way you do? It's no wonder that I have no confidence and that everywhere I go I feel buried in a layer of pure ugliness.

footballfan

yep, and theres alot of mirrors at home, so it happens alot. I always see famous people on tv, or blokes at work, and wish I could look like them instead of me, sad aint it! lol

GloomySunday

I must look into the mirror hundreds of times a day!

It's not vanity in the, "Oh my God, I'm so good looking" way, it's more of the "I'm absolutely terrified of looking crap" sort of way, if that makes any sense.

I constantly worry if my hair doesn't look right, if I have sleep in the corners of my eyes, if I have any blemishes...etc. I'm always looking for faults that I can somehow rectify. Even if I know there's not likely to be any, I keep looking.

I wish I could just say, "Hey, you know what, I don't give a crap what I look like!" I just can't do it! It's almost like being some third rate celebrity who can't pop out for a pint of milk without looking like a million dollars just in case someone wants a photograph..."I simply can't let the public down, darling!"

It's almost maddening.

I feel like the only person who is actually ugly. I feel like anyone on this forum can fit into a crowd based on how they look, but I'd be the only one who doesn't look like your average person. No one ever told me I was ugly, I just think that my face doesn't fit itself that well.

jschuley

I don't feel like I'm ugly at all, I am very pretty in the face, but I am overweight. And that is a big problem.

JonnyD

thats your low self steem talking,

i know i'm not good looking , severeal people does. But many ,even most ,don't let it be in their ways and don't become self avere all the day long, the problem with low self steem is that you being pretty or ugly it will stand in your way.

i'm telling it because i know about my low selfsteem, most days i just feel bad because i'm the uglyest thing in the face of earth and somedays i wakeup and fall in love with my self... guess i'm not a lizard who changes faces everyday, its my selfteem...

guess what, i can't even talk to that red head helper n the market, its my self steem talking...

ok, I'm ugly and i'm gonna live with it, period.

(sorry the mistakes, its hard to type from my bed :p)

besides the self steem thing, i think most people are so overhelmed by the media that they can't see right in front of them... these things doenst exist, these are for tv... out there are normal people living they normal live - most times much grater than that on tv because their lifes last.

if the problem is attraction, its proven that people feel attracted to people who does shows signs that they're feeling attracted to them - its a kind of mechanism to keep the species , i really hate this stuff because i like my "perfect" view of love, that someday i'll pass through the woman of my life and we will simplily kiss and merry... sweet dreams

prettyness or uglyness are in the eye of the behoulder, maybe not for superficial people, but for good normal people i think it counts. remember that red head helper?
well i told a guy i was infatuated by her and he asked me if i were crazy... you know what? i think she's the single more cute thing in the whole planet. but well i'm not going to tell her because of my self steem.

the sad part is that i know it.

Yes, yes, and yes. I won't even go outside unless I can get ready, because I am just so disgusted with the way I look. Plus if I ever do go outside I end up wearing a hood and huge sunglasses in order to hide my face. it's my face, I can't stand it. I feel so gross, and I try way too hard, and still nothing. It bothers me so much.

SmartCat

I often feel ugly, mainly because I'm overweight. Society dictates that fat people are ugly and lazy and greedy and I feel ashamed. However, I see hundreds of other fat people who are the same or bigger than I am and I don't see them as being ugly or feel that they should feel ashamed of who they are. I don't see it stopping them from living their lives like it does for me.

I would bet that every one of us is blowing our percieved defects out of all proportion. Other people have crooked teeth, knobbly knees, spots, etc., etc., and they don't feel the need to shut themselves away or feel that they are being laughed at or scorned - so why do we?

I think we've all got to accept that it's not real, the way we see ourselves is a product of our negative self-esteem.

chris87

I'm always concerned about how I look, although I never feel that I look very good. It's so annoying, I don't even know why I worry about it.