Ever been hospitalized for Anxiety & depression?

gg

Just wondering if anyone has ever been admitted to a psych unit or whatever it's called & if so what was your experience & did it help??

Thanx

coyote

no, but i was once hospitalized for ingesting a hamster

it belonged to my friend, Mark's sister

she was really pissed

(pissed = angry in americanish)

Shant

10 days, for depression. Almost a year ago. At the time I didn't think it was Social Anxiety, but rather Asperger's Disorder. I show a lot of the signs of Asperger's, but with closer examination, Social Anxiety really makes more sense. I never had facial recognition issues, I'm kind of too sensitive/emotional/(dare I say)empathic, and overall, it's more of a personality quirk thing. ... but I digress.

It's a shock, at first. Although in my experience it might not have been as bad if I'd entered earlier in the day than after midnight when it's morose as can be. But it takes a bit to get used to; realizing you're pretty much in what they call a "mental hospital". Overall it's not that bad, you get to sleep in a bit, the breakfast's not bad, the food is... mostly not bad, it's almost like a hotel except you're not allowed to leave the floor.

Personally, my experience is a bit unique; my psych ward had two sections: An "adolescent unit" or "under 18" floor, and an "adult unit" or "18 or older floor". Just turned 18 at the time, I could only go to the latter, which I doubt helped at all. After a bit of persuading I managed to go to the former unit ("under 18"; could persuade, since I was still in high school despite being 18). Only there I made any progress, since some of the other people there were in the same age range and it's a re-assuring feeling that "I'm not the only one who's 'crazy', I'm not the only one..."

The staff aren't bad or anything (I hated my primary doctor because among the day-to-day questions, some involved sex and I hate talking about sex. You'd think he was a Freudian psychologist, except he didn't really seem to care about why I hated talking about it.), but only a few really are helpful. I don't think I had much one-on-one "therapy" there. A lot of it was checking to make sure I was "taking my meds" (they're more for medication than resolving the real problems), and did my workbook pages, which were annoying.

Then again, it was vague for me. I didn't specify anything beyond depression, thinking that aside from "some Asperger's", the social anxiety was "perfectly normal" and thus nothing I bothered to mention. Maybe if I'd brought that up things would've been different? I don't know.

Would I recommend it? If you're 18 or older, probably no, unless you're having even more serious issues where either your life or another's life is at serious risk, something along those lines.. If you're under 18? Possibly, but only if your depression is seriously in a pretty bad state; i.e., involving alcohol, drug, or self-injury addiction, really no will to ever live, etc... if only to get you standing back up before entering the real world again. I don't know, it's complicated... How bad is the state of Anxiety or state of Depression in question here?

Last edited:

NickyNacker

not a psych ward, but i was admitted to a normal hospital in 2008 when i started having panic attacks. i was completely overwhelmed and couldn't even lay down to sleep. i was up 2 days and went back n forth from the house to the hospital until they admitted me. they pumped ativan into my system for 3 days until a psychiatrist came in and he was a JERK. he didn't even look at me i don't think. he talked to my mom, wrote out 3 prescriptions, had an attitude, and then left. i really wish people wouldn't get a job that's about helping people if they are so mean and heartless. he wasn't the only person like that. every doctor i saw was cold and just wanted to throw medications at me.

i don't know if i could handle being in a psych ward. i went to one the day before i got admitted to the hospital and it looked like a scene out of a horror movie. the people that worked there were even worse than the other doctors i saw at the hospital. they were trashy and rude and the place was so run down and disgusting. and tiny. i don't know how people do it! i'm just grateful i haven't gotten to that kind of low and i've got a good therapist helping me out and giving me hope.. and understanding and being compassionate.

lol wow i rambled but i'm bored.

Last edited:

Tiercel

I did three week-long visits as a teenager. Unfortunately none of them ultimately helped, as they were really only trying to figure out my diagnosis. Somehow in all of it the doctors seemed to miss the family history of anxiety and depression. So they basically gave me meds that didn't help, then prescribed more meds when the originals only seemed to make things worse.

But it wasn't entirely bad. There was a really cute girl in there during my first stay. I think her name was Amber. And the third time around I was put in the adult ward at Penn (since they were thinking of trying ECT :eek:) But it was there I learned that God is a black woman in a wheelchair. She even had a follower, who stayed faithfully at God's side, draped in a white sheet.

layeazy

yeah 3 times in about 5 years lol everything never got the help i needed and wanted at the time its down to us the individual for change..

B

Beatrice

Wow, I've always wondered what it would be like if I had myself committed for a while.... doesn't sound too inviting. I doubt I'd get much help.

Many times. I would say that some of it was helpful, but some health professionals can be also be very patronizing at times and this can be quite damaging. I would say that medication has been much more helpful than any hospitalization I received.

I've currently got social anxiety and have at some stages in my life had depression, but I've never attempted suicide.

I've never being assessed for anything ever and I don't tell anyone about my personal life and how I feel.

So safe to say I've never being "hospitalized". Maybe one day if my life gets much worse, I'll really kill myself. Then I can get hospitalized, haha.