Eternal Optimist? Or Prevailing Pessimist?

Silvox Black

Out of a desire to see just how many people on here are those who believe that humanity is inherently good, inherently evil, or something in between I would like to ask the question: Are you one who trusts in the goodwill and ability of humanity? One that believes that in the end, things will occur for the betterment of all? Or are you one that believes that our goodwill in humanity is a misplaced illusion and that reality's truth is cruel and unfair?

And as a footnote, has anyone here read Voltaire's Candide? If so, any favorite characters from that book?

I think everything in this world is dynamic, the nature of people, the world we live in, and most definitely the general outcome. Everybody's life ends differently; Some live to die horribly tragic deaths. And some die calmly, consciously surrounded by their loved ones. Same goes for the living, all lives are mere variants of one another, they're never identical. :3

I don't believe anything we do in terms of behavior is inherited. Of course, we all do things along our natural blue print (eating, sleeping, intercourse and generally comforting ourselves) but for the most part whom and what we become (''evil'' or ''good'' (even though I don't believe those two things exist either, but that's a whole different conversation. ::p:)) is up to surroundings, upbringing, culture and climate.

Nothing is certain/inherited, everything is dynamic. But those are just my flawed thoughts, of course. ;3