Emotional release and feeling feelings

UnOccupied

So, i was reading the other day, and stumbled upon something about releasing emotions and feeling feelings. I realized i habitually hide from my emotions, and dont feel anything...ever. I used to be an angry person, but i would let it out freely. Also, with my anxiety, i dont really feel it anymore, it just turns into depression right away.

I REALLY want to feel my feelings again. I think i have just habitually hid from my emotions and feelings, to hide from my bad feelings of anger, depression, and those knots in my stomach i used to get(but don't get anymore).

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has any insight or reading about this topic. I am going to bring it up to my therapist today, but i doubt he will have anything insightful to tell me.

I don't know if were aloud to post links on here, so if you want the link of the article i was reading, let me know through PM.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
So, i was reading the other day, and stumbled upon something about releasing emotions and feeling feelings. I realized i habitually hide from my emotions, and dont feel anything...ever. I used to be an angry person, but i would let it out freely. Also, with my anxiety, i dont really feel it anymore, it just turns into depression right away.

I REALLY want to feel my feelings again. I think i have just habitually hid from my emotions and feelings, to hide from my bad feelings of anger, depression, and those knots in my stomach i used to get(but don't get anymore).

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has any insight or reading about this topic. I am going to bring it up to my therapist today, but i doubt he will have anything insightful to tell me.

I don't know if were aloud to post links on here, so if you want the link of the article i was reading, let me know through PM.
I'm not really clear--are you looking for advice on how to express your feelings?

Depression can make you numb, and the only way I can think of to help you feel stuff would be to lessen the depression. Obviously easier said that done.

UnOccupied

^^ Yes, advice on how to express my feelings would be great. Any little tips, or a book, or something like that would be helpful. Or, even some insight into the matter from someone who has experienced this before.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
^^ Yes, advice on how to express my feelings would be great. Any little tips, or a book, or something like that would be helpful. Or, even some insight into the matter from someone who has experienced this before.
Humm. A lot of people around here use art to express themselves. I have no such talent.

I keep a journal that I express myself into, and I find that very useful. Especially when I can go back a year or two later with a fresh perspective and read what I was thinking/feeling at the time.

Expressing expressions. Interesting. Find it a lot of work. I have no advice to offer.

Believe a book will tell me '... and this is how you smile...', I cannot. I think I may be in the wrong. I can equally misunderstand others as they misunderstand me.

Good luck.

UnOccupied

Sorry my post must have been unclear. But, i mean i have trouble expresing myself, whether im mad, or sad, or angry, or even happy. I just kind of hold it in. I recently read that holding in emotion puts intense stress on your mind and body, and zaps your energy away, because it takes so much energy to do that. So, im looking for some ways or thoughts to help me express myself better.

Sorry my post must have been unclear. But, i mean i have trouble expresing myself, whether im mad, or sad, or angry, or even happy. I just kind of hold it in. I recently read that holding in emotion puts intense stress on your mind and body, and zaps your energy away, because it takes so much energy to do that. So, im looking for some ways or thoughts to help me express myself better.

You have made clear your meaning. Holding in emotion does take or 'zap' your energy away. Major concentration, keeping locked. Public, a fear of embarrassment could be a cause. Remain emotionless, expressionless no one will judge. Private, by ones self, fear of becoming weak?

From me advice may be nothing but a scratch.
Be who you are, not what your shell is. People want to know you not it. Loosen up, laugh if something is funny, disregard others' opinions. Do what are you.