Eating Stinging Nettles

Blueborn

Has anyone here experience with stinging nettles as food?
I've recently started to take them into my diet, as they are supposed to be very healthy, but now I've got some hay fever reactions from it (irritated nose and eyes). I only gather the top of the plant, avoid the ones who are already in flower, and put them into the mixer with fruits and a bit of water. Is there maybe anything else I should be aware of?

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
Hahaha, are you serious? I guess it would be ok if you juiced it in a juicer, I only make tea from nettles though.

Blueborn

Yeah, it seems kinda weird at first, got quite some looks when people saw me gathering them :D
Except that and their burning hairs (which can be made harmless) there is no reason not to eat them though, they have lots of vitamins, calcium and e.g. blood cleansing effects. They haven't me done any bad so far, I have more energy and feel more comfortable in general. The question is only if that's from the nettles or from otherwise wrong nutrition...

mismeek

ehh...I like to try new foods, but I don't think I would want to eat something that has the word "stinging" in its name.. lol :) What do they taste like?

Blueborn

ehh...I like to try new foods, but I don't think I would want to eat something that has the word "stinging" in its name.. lol :) What do they taste like?
Many compare them to spinach if cooked.
In raw condition the taste is not really bad, but kinda obtrusive, a bit too much like "nature", if you know what I mean. Well, I mix them with bananas and other fruits, that makes it milder and creamier, while still maintaining a bit of the rawness. The whole smoothie then feels like the natural force combined, it's like you exactly know for what you're drinking it lol.

cowboyup

There were 2 times I used stinging nettles.
1. Tea (healthy, I hear)
2. I'd rather not discuss. :question:

Blueborn

The stings can be easily neutralized by soaking and squeezing/dispersing them with gloves and a rolling pin. I do it a bit more extensively to be on the safe side, about 2 minutes at all. I also recommend to take as young plants as possible, be a bit careful with older ones by taking only the top of these, they are not that compliant for the digestion from my own experience.
Thanks for the link Foca btw, the comments are an interesting read.

is it like Kale?
Yes, probably in that direction, haven't tasted raw kale yet, though.

Last edited: